StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Lighter Color on Dyed Red Hair? Help me do it at home Please!

• Lighter Color on Dyed Red Hair? Help me do it at home Please!

Posted by AllyCat on July 28, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I am really hoping someone will be able to advise me on this DIY hair project.

I have been dying my hair at home for about 5 years now, so I am no stranger to the difficult process that I have ahead of me. I started with sandy blonde hair and the very first time I dyed it, I went straight to permanent Blue-black and kept it that way for a year.

Since then I have bleached it, stripped it, and dyed it many times to achieve a lighter color… Finally, about 6 months ago, I got it to a healthy looking light red that I could stand and have not touched it since because I couldnt stand the smells after I got pregnant…

I am now ready to embark once again and try to go lighter… my roots and about 3 inches of my hair are back to my sandy blonde color but the rest is still the light red. So I guess I need to know what to buy to achieve a lighter color, and how you would reccommend doing it so I wouldnt get really light roots and kinda light hair? 

I just cant stand being this color anymore… so any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

jazzygirl88 replied 10 years, 7 months ago 13 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

July 29, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Sally’s carries a color remover that I have used on many occasions. It is not as harsh as trying to bleach the color out. Usually I would use that and then use the ion 3 step damage repair. Then I would use the protein filler after I dyed my hair. I don’t know how light you are going but I would also look into a packet of cassia from henna for hair. It will make your hair shine (but call and make sure it won’t impart too much yellow).

• JBStarryEyedGirl

July 29, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Oh girl! I would not attempt to lighten up red at home. I've worked at salons for years, my BFF and my mom are both stylists, and from my experience, going back to blonde can wreck havoc on the hair! If you MUST do this at home, you can do what is called a "shampoo bleach" where you literally mix bleach and shampoo and rub it in. Leave it on for 10-15 min, rinse, and if needed you can repeat. Use a low volume bleach like 20v. It is less damaging to hair, but works slower. I would recommend that you dye your hair light/medium brown to cover your red, wait a few weeks, shampoo bleach, dye it light brown/dark blonde, wait a few weeks, etc..

My best recommendation would just be to go to a good salon and have an expert do it. It will end up being cheaper than having to fix it multiple times. Trust me. I bleached off half of my hair last year in a DIY moment. It's finally grown back now. =) 

Either way, good luck!

Oh, and I agree with Chem, you will need uber protein to fix the damage! I like L'oreal Professional deep conditioners. Their fiberceutic line is great!

• ORGANIC ANGEL

July 29, 2011 at 5:59 pm

You should get a highlight and lowlight to blend it, BUT have a professional do it. Just do a partial if you want to save money. Congrats on the baby! I am pregnant too and was about to start a thread to see who else is poling and preggers:)

Good luck-

Don't try this hair job at home

FYI- I am a licensed professional for ten years

• Aviva

July 30, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Whoa!  I'm not going to tell you what to do…but I will tell you my personal experience.  I went from red to blonde.  First it turned a sick yellow color then I used a toner and it got a little better.  My hair length however went from almost to my waist to barely touching my bra strap.  And then it needed three inches off of it.  Blonde is the most damaging to ones hair with darker being less damanging.  Not a pro at hair so exiting stage left.  Good luck I hope it's beautiful.

• Ember

July 31, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I have been a full time Hairdresser for almost 10 years.  I would suggest instead of using any type of bleach at this time, that you should go to sallys and purchase this http://www.sallybeauty.com/color-remover/SBS-342350,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair05-10

It's a color remover, there is no bleach in it, it is totally safe.  you can use it more than once as the instructions state until you reach the level you want.  

Then once you reach a lighter color, you can put color on top of it with 10 volume peroxide.  Please note, that the color you put on your hair will not make your hair any lighter, that is what the color remover is for.  If you need help picking out a color to put on after you have removed the red, please contact me here on on facebook (linday green) and I am more than happy to help. 🙂

• Cherished

July 31, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I don't know if this link might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfFT6e7Xfx0

This pole dancer, Saphirecatzeye whose channel I'm subscribed to had red hair and went platinum and made a video with tips.  

• EmViVi

August 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I 2nd/3rd the ColorFix stuff.  I talked about this in another post but here's my 2 cents: I had died my hair totally fire-engine red for 4.5 years.  I mean as red as I could possibly get.  Then I eventually got tired of it and decided to go blonde.  I did this by using 2 boxes of the colorfix stuff which was 4 treatments in total.  i spread them all about 3 weeks to a month apart and just conidtioned and protein treated the heck out of my hair in between.  i'd literally sleep in the protein masks.  during those 3 months my hair was an ugly bright orange that was SO unflattering to my skin tone but it still felt quite healthy. 

at the end I dyed it "medium golden blonde" which took away alot of the brassiness but my hair was still kinda dark.  i did that for a while in the hopes it would lighten up but it didnt so i finally just grabbed the palest non-lightener dye i could find (lightest ash blonde) and put it on.  Viola: totally platinum hair!  hell, it was almost white, too pale even for my garish tastes.  but it did the job of lightening to where i wanted and now i put on very light golden blonde and i get a nice platinum with golden highlights.

it's only slightly damaged, too.  i have some split ends but my hair is actively growing longer (started off at red by my shoulders, now is about bra length) so it must be healthy enough to grow longer.  in total it took me about a year to go from cherry red to absolute platinum.  natural color is dark "dishwater" blonde but ive been dying for so long it doesnt really matter.

i guess the message is: colorfix + lots and lots of protein + take your time + pale ash blonde = really pale blonde happiness.

just dont rush it!

• SissySnake

June 24, 2013 at 12:07 am

I am going throught the same exact thing right now trying to fade my red hair , well auburn red , back to my natural bleach blonde hair , & this is the natural non-damaging steps I have taken .Vitamin C tabelts & Dawn dishsoap & a really good shampoo
    Mixed in a bowl & applied to wet hair .
    I added a bit of reg. shampoo as well , Head & shoulders is best or a clarifying shampoo but it doesn't really matter I will be using mane n tail . What I am doing is washing my hair with dawn dishsoap for a few days
    & then do that process

I have done two applications of this /7 my hair has lightened up tremendously . I am very happy with how its turning out . Good luck hope this helps , you can even add raw honey or baking soda to help it the active ingredeint is the vitamin C and Baking soda .

• Linuxgirl

June 24, 2013 at 7:58 am

Let it fade out as much as possible, I recently made the mistake of thinking I would go blonde from red.. 5 inches less of hair later I wish I didn’t get that not so great idea and I wonder what I was thinking.

I would let it fade, used a 30 level developer with a heavy ash based blonde. No ultra blue, nothing like that. I would of worn a baseball hat for 90 days then did the above.

Old school prel shampoo strips color out of hair I’ve done removers and lived to regret that idea too.

Good luck and may you have lush, lighter locks minus super damage 🙂

• jazzygirl88

August 3, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Need Advice Help!

So my hair is naturally brown I died it red from a professional sylist. My natural color started to come back but in some parts it was light red, well today I dyed it light golden brown and it looked like it took all of it but I can still see patches of red in my hair, if I buy another box will it change to the color?

• Lyme Lyte

August 4, 2013 at 7:53 am

Are u saying u still have patches of red u want gone? Are they at the ends of your hair?

• Linuxgirl

August 4, 2013 at 9:25 am

A light ash brown should nutralize the red. I’d wait at least 72 hours before coloring your hair again so you don’t damage it.

• mspretty1414

August 4, 2013 at 10:18 am

I agree w/ Chem and Ember, I've used the Sally product and the protein filler and it works great.  I've also used Colorfix and it sucked compared to the one from Sally's.  Good luck!

• jazzygirl88

August 4, 2013 at 11:02 am

Yes I do, I’m just going to dye it black so you won’t see nothing then I will fix it in a couple of months