Is this a handspring or cartwheel mount...

AllysonKendal Previous Paid Member
And why am I so confused on the difference?!!

[instagram.com]

Isn't there one where you walk past the pole?! What's that one called? 😬
Dec 23, 2016 from New Jersey, United States
robinska Paid Member
Not that I'm doing either of them yet, but from watching Veena's videos it looks like this one is Cartwheel [studioveena.com] and the one where you walk past the pole is Handspring [studioveena.com]
Dec 23, 2016
I don't have the lessons at the moment, so I can't view them. Boo.

AH, the terminology is getting me! In class we never handspring by walking past the pole. Hm. I should try that. I knew I saw it somewhere, must have been here. We usually just start in a split grip type position and pop up, like in this (very old) video [www.instagram.com]

We call most of those moves just handspring variations. So What I did we just called "another way to handspring"
Dec 23, 2016 from New Jersey, United States
Veena
It's a cartwheel mount...most studios are too need to know there's a difference between them. Here's a video that shows some mounts. It's super old, like 8 yrs I think! [youtu.be]
[youtu.be]
Dec 24, 2016 from San Francisco, California, United States
Veena
Too new*
Veena
Here's another example [www.studioveena.com]
Thank you Veena. That really clears things up.

I have a really tough time spotting differences in moves. I know when I first started i couldn't tell if someone was doing true grip or split grip to save my life!
25 days ago from New Jersey, United States
Veena
You're welcome! Do studios still teach cartwheel and Handspring or are they only doing TG "handspring"?
18 days ago from San Francisco, California, United States
In class we'll do a variety of grips. I usually tend to do true. But we are given a variety and different variations. Generally I'm working on them from the floor with my hands already on the pole and my chest facing the ceiling (I think I posted a link above). But the other day we did work on that cartwheel I posted. I just don't think we went over the names, or if we did I've missed it. I haven't tried it where you walk past the pole and then put your lower hand on though!! I want to try that.

I do feel pretty fortunate my instructor is crazy strong and deadlifts and Iron Xs in many grips... so she isn't one that only teaches TG. Especially because I don't love it. I do a few here and there to keep it accessible to me. One day I'd love to do a Phoenix... but I'm not overly focused on it.

18 days ago from New Jersey, United States
Veena
That's good to hear, it seems these days people only know about the TG grip and have never even seen a cartwheel mount or handspring, makes me feel old! lol
18 days ago from San Francisco, California, United States

Wennajo Paid Member
I am so glad I found Studio Veena! It's like having an amazing instructor right here with you at home at all times, I absolutely love the way she explains things and her videos are so clear it's easy to see what I'm supposed to be doing. Thank you Veena!!
more testimonials