StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Is my instructor giving a good push or too much of a push?

• Is my instructor giving a good push or too much of a push?

Posted by Arie on January 29, 2016 at 2:51 pm

I’ve found a wonderful local pole instructor. She has spunky positive energy, always tailors her teaching for her students, and makes sure we all are being challenged, even if there are different levels in the class.

But… I’m worried I might be going too fast.

I started off learning from Veena’s online lessons. I was meticulous with following the order of the lessons and perhaps more cautious than needed. I was attempting to perfect the inverted thigh hold when I started taking in-person instruction.

In the past month, my instructor has taught me scorpio, extended butterfly, teddy, aerial inverts, and now wants to start training for… Ayesha and iron-x… What? Sounds like crazy talk to me. And I’m still working on my inverted thigh hold. Haha.

Is this a red flag? Anyone else have a similar experience?

hookedonpole replied 8 years, 2 months ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Runemist34

January 29, 2016 at 6:23 pm

I think working on Iron X sounds a little ambitious, but as you’re working on the inverted thigh hold, things like Scorpio are pretty close in the evolution.
    And, it does depend on how you are responding to the work. Are the moves incredibly painful? Are you able to execute them at all? Are you comfortable saying “No, I can’t work on this one yet, it’s too hard!”? How do you feel about the technique with which you are doing the moves- are you controlled, or just flailing your way in?
    I know a few people who just… manage to do it, no problem. They’re stronger and tougher, and they trust their bodies. Where I struggle to do anything upside down, one person who came over to try my pole was happily inverted (on the floor!) within moments, and had no issues. I watched, and made sure she was controlled, and not just falling into it.
    So, while your caution is usually very useful and probably a safety net for you, remember also that you may be stronger than you think you are! You may also be more capable 🙂 It all depends!

• Serzi

January 29, 2016 at 6:43 pm

I’m sure that my response is going to sound cliche’, but ONLY YOU know when you’re ready for a move. A vote of confidence is nice but, as with any aspect of life, if somebody seems to be pushing you towards something you do not feel comfortable w/ then you should apply the brakes. You probably are very strong and perhaps close to achieving some very elite moves in your practices. I would guess that your instructor sees that and is a little too giddy to get you there. Idk, I must say that I have never taken physical studio classes so I do not know the whole hands-on instructor scenario. In my experience, it’s more productive to have a buddy to consult (especially someone who is an advanced pole trainer), but rule number one is always that you’re number one and know what’s right for you. Sometimes the greatest moves happen naturally, do not rush greatness.

• Arie

January 29, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Thank you for your replies! I appreciate it. 🙂

Runemist34, these new moves aren’t painful besides that usual pole burn and sore muscles. And I’m able to execute them, perhaps not as gracefully as I wish. I’m not terribly comfortable with saying “no” to something outright because I know it’s probably the scaredy-cat inside that’s talking. I guess I’ve got a “try it once, and try is slow” policy when a new move comes up. So far it’s been a fine policy but safety comes first.

Serzi, you’re not cliché; you’re right. I’m going to have to decide what I’m ready for and what I’m not. I need to get a better sense of my strength and quiet my inner scaredy-cat to do so logically. And you made me think about pacing, which may be what my hesitation is all about.

My instructor doesn’t mind if I come in with moves that I am interested in learning so I may take advantage by suggesting more intermediate moves. And I have already asked for more “dancing”, rather than pure tricks. Hopefully, this will give me more control.

• Serzi

January 29, 2016 at 10:22 pm

I think you’ve got the right mindset about this and are just nervous about seeming rude or that you may not progress if you refuse. Believe me all those moves are right there at your finger-tips when your body is ready to claim them. The initial fear is something we all struggle with, but when you know you’re not ready for something it’s entirely different than “being a scaredy-cat”. Pacing yourself is essential and I do believe that dance is the perfect mechanism for easing yourself into tricks naturally. It’s a beautiful feeling when you find yourself flawlessly transitioning into beautifully lined move completely free of nerves. Like stepping into a warm bath. haha

• Veena

Administrator
    January 30, 2016 at 1:50 am

I good instructor knows when to push and when to let you stay in your comfort zone, but only for a bit! Not knowing what this instructors curriculum looks like I can’t really say what’s to fast or not.

If your inverts and climbs are strong and you have a good understanding of the caterpillar there’s nothing wrong with working towards butterflies and ayesha. The concern would be if you are not yet controlled in your inverts and struggle with caterpillar. These moves grow into the more advanced pole work like Ex butterfly and Ayesha Moving on to more advanced work that requires strength before you’re ready can lead to injury because the body can’t handle the load yet. However, you don’t have to have every move perfected before trying new things, but control is key.

Also note that overuse injuries happen over time and so make sure you’re not over training. 🙂

• Cantetinza17

February 1, 2016 at 9:18 pm

The good thing is that she is challenging you, but if you see something and you are like, “What, you want me to what?” Then you should kind of tell her, “Wait a minute I’m not ready for that yet.” and she should be able to take a step back and wait until you feel solid in your other tricks and ready for a new one. I just think that she is so excited to teach things that she might be on hyper-drive. If your not ready then say it, you don’t want to hurt yourself. Cause it’s a bummer going through withdrawals as you stair at your pole and you know that you can’t touch it.

• hookedonpole

February 7, 2016 at 7:56 am

I agree, if you are not ready, please say so. I have no problem saying “nope” or ‘that’s not on my list of to-do” Some could say, as well as myself, that it is a fear thing or lack of confidence, but whatever it is, I have no problem saying not for me right now. Your pole journey is yours so go at your pace. Sometimes I will do the baby steps or beginning prep for something, then say “no” or even say “no” right away.

There are many cool things that can be learned/practiced before Ayesha, Iron X, etc. Unless, as someone else mentioned, there are those who have natural strength, other workout background, etc who can pull these Adv/Elite moves off. But the basic person, like me, needs time, practice, progression, etc.

Good luck!

• hookedonpole

February 7, 2016 at 7:58 am

Oh, I am also glad that your instructor is wonderful, spunky positive energy, always tailors her teaching for her students, and makes sure we all are being challenged. It’s awesome to have an instructor to enjoy taking classes from!