StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions I can do WHAT??

• I can do WHAT??

Posted by SToast on March 1, 2017 at 4:37 am

The studio that I was going to closed its doors in January this year. Some of the students have been driving to another studio an hour away once or twice a week. I went with them for my first time tonight. It was really great and sooooo different from my previous studio. I learned more in one night than I did in 6 lessons at the previous studio. Now I’m not saying anything bad about the other studio. I loved it and the owner. We warmed up, stretched, conditioned, worked on a move or two then class was over. This class they tell you to come early to warm up before class so that you have a full 60 min to work on moves. I did a shoulder mount! First time trying! The instructor showed me how to set up and get the correct position and up I went. It didn’t cause me any pain and I was surprised to find that I was strong enough to do it. She also taught us how to begin getting into a handspring. It was a move I looked and and thought to myself “I’ll never be able to do that” and now, after this class, I’m pretty sure with some practice I’ll get my handspring.

So along with shoulder mount and handspring we did allegra, jade, and a move she called “flight attendant”. I was so surprised that I was able to do these moves. The other studio helped me build the strength to do these moves but the owner was very conservative in what she taught us to do. She didn’t want any injuries, which I respect her greatly for, but it also didn’t challenge us.

In the end I am so grateful to my previous studio for taking me, having never touched a pole, and helping me gain the strength and confidence to move forward in my pole journey. This new studio is an exciting next step and I look forward to progressing!

Veena replied 7 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • SToast

March 1, 2017 at 4:44 am

As a side note… We had 50mm poles at my previous studio and I think they are 45mm at the new studio. My hands ache from class and my fingers were cramping up on me in class. I had to keep stretching them out. Anyone else have hand problems with smaller poles?

• Veena

Administrator
    March 1, 2017 at 5:30 am

Yay, happy for you! Yes, smaller poles can really make a difference in feeling secure!