StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions How long did take you to go from beginner to intermediate or advanced? How often did you practice?

• How long did take you to go from beginner to intermediate or advanced? How often did you practice?

Posted by Val Pepper on July 27, 2019 at 7:10 pm

I know everyone’s journey is unique, but I was wondering what to expect, since I just started. I do not have a studio in town, so Studio Veena online is my main guide. I would love to hear from you! Thanks!

Sammy Sparkles replied 4 years, 9 months ago 6 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • azu polerbear

July 28, 2019 at 3:21 am

My beginning was different from you because I started at a studio. It only took me abour 3 months to get accepted in the beginner intermediate level BUT, being a studio with structured requirements, I was able to do most of the moves except that I couldn’t invert at will so it stopped me from joining the intermediate level even though I could have performed some of the moves if I inverted from like a side climb to jasmine to something else upside down; same thing with the spin pole, I still can’t invert after 4 years of pole (a couple of long breaks here and there).

Long story short, don’t worry about what moves are considered what level, we all have our strengths and are better at performing some moves while lacking on others. If you feel you’re ready to progress with some poses but something else is stopping you (like being able to do a spin chopper), don’t let that stop you and look for different entries into the move if it’s possible; thats what I do to stay motivated and work on harder moves while still working on what may be considered as beginner moves. Always stay true to yourself and only push hard enough to challenge yourself but not to the point of putting yourself at risk 🙂

Hope this helps!

• Sammy Sparkles

July 28, 2019 at 7:21 am

I learned in a pole studio. I think it took me maybe a year to get comfortable inverting and into the intermediate classes. I had no dance background and a very basic fitness background and I didn’t start until I was almost 30 and I probably at that time was practicing twice a week for maybe 1-2 hours at a time. Unfortunately my practice had come to a near standstill in the past three years with myself and my husband going through severe/possibly fatal illnesses back to back. Thankfully we are both still here and I’m back to training, still at Intermediate but honestly I’ll probably never reach advanced and that’s fine. A girl in my studio went from beginner to advanced to teaching to winning competitions in like a year but she had a heavy dance background.

• amelia2000

July 28, 2019 at 10:50 am

Depends on how often you practise and how structured you do it. Inverting will come faster with lots of core work (you can encorporate that into your warm-up). Also having some who can spot you in certain moves could also help. Doesn’t help me personally, I prefer to only let go when I can completely trust my body.
    The leap as well to advanced (for me that means inverted hands only moves and high levels of flexibility) that will take longest to reach. The last inches on your splits are the hardest, and I’ve always had a problem with hand grip (sweaty hands).
    The good thing about not training in a studio is that you set your own targets and focus on what you want. For me, that means no static spins (in fact, I only train on spinning mode).

• Charley

July 28, 2019 at 11:57 am

I don’t think labels are really accurate for pole. There is no real definition between beginner and intermediate. In my experience some transitions and movement can be intermediate in that they take quite a bit of coordination to get where as certain moves or tricks are sheer strength/technique. I personally like to think the difference between beginner and intermediate is comfort and polish (pointed toes, good lines, smooth transitions.) there is more to learn at the beginner level in terms of grounded movement and spins than there is at advanced levels. My advice always to students is to build confidence and strength by continuing to practice basic skills. The stronger your spins are, the easier it is to climb. The stronger your climb is the easier it is to invert. Some people are strong enough to invert at the first class but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are intermediate. I think learned technique and movement is just as important.

• Veena

Administrator
    July 28, 2019 at 5:07 pm

Great advice everyone and Charley YES! I wish more I instructors informed students of this. It’s soooooo hard to put a level on something 😏 It’s insane that some studios call inverts beginner tho, unless you’re dealing with x gymnasts or performers pole for the masses means inverting may not even be needed! Don’t get too hung up on labels. 💜

• Sammy Sparkles

July 28, 2019 at 8:08 pm

I also have a really bad habit of comparing myself to other polers/aerialists. I have to remind myself a lot that it’s ok if I’m not as good as someone who started when they were 20 and had a dance background. And I often grumble “Well if I didn’t get sick I could be at this point right now…..” But don’t compare yourself to others. Just enjoy the journey and compare yourself to your past self. Every time you learn a new skill that’s a victory for you so enjoy it and be proud of yourself! And if you have to take a break and lose a skill that’s ok too! You just get back on the pole and back at it.

• Val Pepper

July 28, 2019 at 8:14 pm

WOw! You are all amazing for taking the time to give me such precious advice. Really good information. I will take it at heart. I’m 43 yo and while pole dance seems intimidating, will celebrate anything I can learn. You will hear from me more 🙂 Thank you so much!

• Sammy Sparkles

July 30, 2019 at 11:29 pm

Actually another tip I could give that has been very helpful for me is to record your practices here and there. It’s very helpful to see if your moves look good or if you look stiff or see your facial expressions. You may feel like your doing a move “the right way” but then see where or how you can improve it on camera. I also always have my husband look over my choreography. He knows nothing about dance whatsoever but he is somewhat of an artist and has a very good eye for what looks good. Don’t be afraid to get other people’s opinions on your dancing. My husband has given me so much good constructive criticism and it really has helped my practice

• Val Pepper

July 31, 2019 at 12:00 am

Thanks Sammy! I’ve been recording, but not ready to show anyone yet. I’m my biggest critic.

• Sammy Sparkles

July 31, 2019 at 12:41 am

I think we all are!