StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions How do I stop death gripping the pole.

• How do I stop death gripping the pole.

Posted by msleothagoddess3360 on May 24, 2017 at 4:35 am

Hello I’m new to pole dancing, and I’ve been having trouble with my spins. The problem is I my wrist tends to rub up on the pole and my hands get stuck and prevents me from doing the spin which right now is the fire hydrant and pinwheel. I have been told that I have a death grip on the pole and because I’m holding it so tight it’s preventing me from spinning the way I’m suppose to, and that overtime I will learn to loosen but it doesn’t seem to be getting better. Can anyone please give me suggestions on how to loosen my grip on the pole so that I may get these spins right…
    Thank you

PoleAdventures replied 6 years, 11 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • LabCobra

May 24, 2017 at 4:48 am

I think you already got a reasonable answer. How long have you been practicing? Based on the spins you mentioned I suspect you might actually be quite new to the pole. Keep in mind that learning pole dancing takes time. If you feel you’re not progressing enough and have been at it for a while you can carefully try to actively grip the pole less tightly – after all, with basic spins the worst thing that could happen is to land on your feet faster than expected. There’s really not a lot of magic behind it though – it’s just that practice makes perfect. Typically as people get more comfortable on the pole their grip adjusts automatically.

• StrangeFox

May 24, 2017 at 8:53 pm

I can relate to that. I’m a beginner too, and I’m having issues with death grip. At first I couldn’t even do a simple pole slide (I’d end up doing a negative). I found practicing my pole holds/slides and getting more comfortable with my spins really helped me. It does take a lot of time, and I still rip the skin off of my wrist in the studio when I’m learning a new spin I’m nervous about. So you are not alone!

Do you have small hands by any chance? I do, and found it much easier to spin without death gripping on a 40mm pole. If you have the option of using a thinner pole, I know that helped me get my back hook spin.

• Veena

Administrator
    May 25, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Working on beginner moves like Pole Holds and Side Pole Holds while sliding to the floor can help you learn grip control 💪

• Suzanna

May 26, 2017 at 10:25 pm

And see, I have the complete opposite problems, not strong enough and sliding down too fast… I think your “problem” is better, at least you are “stuck” there on the pole and look cool, haha. I just go down 🙂

• PoleAdventures

May 27, 2017 at 11:37 am

Are you using the static or the spinning pole?
    I would suggest you try some easy spins on the static first, or try holding the position of the spin on the static, then slide down. If you get stronger, the grip will get better and you haven’t the feeling from falling down if you loosen the grip. So, with the static pole you WILL learn to loosen the grip otherwise you can’t do the spin 🙂