How Long Did It Take You to Invert?

glitterqueen

I'm at two months now and I feel like everyone and their mother can invert and I can't. Two girls just came in and did it in the first class - I'm seriously ready to give up over here :( I can't do any of the great tricks or move on with anything new until I get this stupid #@($*&#@$ invert down :(!!!
Aug 16, 2012
CapFeb
Take it slow. I rushed into inverting, and over doing it can cause injury. Then you send more time off the pole. It takes some people a week, some people a month, and some people many months! I was 3 months into pole when I started inverting. But some girls at my studio were consistantly shoulder mounting.
Aug 16, 2012
keex

I know it's hard to not compare yourself to other students in class.  But, considering you're only 2 months into pole dancing (& I'm not sure how many times/week you practice) there are so many other pole skills that you can focus on that are fun and challenging and will help you build the strength & coordination needed to invert safely & properly rather than just flipping yourself  upside down by any means necessary and putting yourself at risk of injury.  Veena's tutorials should be a helpful guide in training progressively & systematically.  I can't even imagine teaching inversions to beginners.  In fact,  I just wrote a blog about this very topic.  Check it out: [studioveena.com]
Aug 16, 2012
Lyme Lyte

I started inverting wrong and threw out my shoulder and messed up my back.  Not to sound like a downer, but it took me well over a year to be able to do it well, do it good, and have it look nice.  But I am old.  I would say to start working on pole crunches!  :)
Aug 16, 2012
dustbunny Previous Paid Member

I think 2 months is pretty early to invert to be honest.  I think I was about 3 months or so, AND I was doing it before I was ready.  I didn't have the strength to do it properly and I'm lucky I didn't hurt myself.  The worst I did was to create bad habits that I had to retrain later on.  Take it slow and enjoy the journey.  There is SO MUCH to learn without inverting.  I have 2 students who just started inverting today.  They have been taking lessons with me for just over 6 months. They both were able to invert (low to the ground and with a spot) sucessfully because they took the time to get there.  I know how hard it is, but if you can stop stressing and worrying about it, it will come when you are ready.  :)
Aug 16, 2012
Tali Kat

I've been poling since the start of the year, but cos of uni it has to take a back seat and I don't get to work on strengthening very often so I still can't invert yet. *shrug* I know if I worked harder I'd have it by now, but I'm ok with taking my time :3
Aug 16, 2012
Dancing Paws

First time, about 1 year, took 9 months off pole and had to start over. Second time took me about 9 months of intermittent practice to get a sloppy invert. I am a slow progresser.
Aug 16, 2012
PixiLouBell
about 3 weeks, but everyone is different! dont rush it, u will get it promise, just keep working, you can do it!!! :)
Aug 16, 2012
Lyme Lyte
Yeh, Rixi is a strong wonder woman! :)
Aug 16, 2012
PixiLouBell
no way LL thats blondebird!!! lol! ;)
Aug 16, 2012
Lyme Lyte
Yeah BB is great, but given the time, I think you could work up to that. U made such quick progress so fast!
Aug 16, 2012
PixiLouBell
well it will b a year in october and no iron x yet!! and her iron x is redic lol i really havent been working on mine this summer tho, boo
Aug 16, 2012
Veena

Don't feel discouraged, Glitterqueen! As others have mentioned, don't rush! Even if there are others in your class that can invert on their first try, doesn't mean they should be. 

As mentioned in Keex's blog, you need to build a foundation. This is what we work on in my lessons here as well. One thing builds on another. 

In order to see faster progress, working on your pole work, and conditioning outside of your class time would be very helpful. Taking a class once a week isn't really enough for most of us to see an improvement, unless we are strength training or conditioning 3 times a week too. 

Also, not every pole move is right for every body, (yes I meant body) [www.studioveena.com] all have strengths and weaknesses. A pole dancer doesn't have to invert, but it is something you can strive for if you like. 
Aug 16, 2012
PixiLouBell
veena is so right it took me forever to get superman while others got it right away!!
Aug 16, 2012
Empty

I am 2 months in and I can do inverts. Nothing fancy though, just Inverted V & the Butterfly. Those are the only things I'm comfortable with. Everything else scares me to death. I'm always afraid of kissing the floor with my face. So I tend to avoid doing inverts out of fear. Everyone in my class is rockin Scorpios and Catapillar crawls....I have no desire to go there AT ALL..
So just cause I can do them, doesn't mean I want to. lol. Everyone has there own pace.
Aug 16, 2012
calipolepixie
I know its tough but try not to compare yourself to others (yep all women do it), we all learn at different speeds. Take myself for instance...i am a tad slower learner but ive come to realize that it is the right pace for me. I didnt invert until i was poling about 3 to 4 months that was my studios policy though, which i totally think is great timing. And i just got the inverted crucifix to where i could hold it longer than a few seconds a few months ago & i've been poling almost 3 years!

I really think practicing 2+ times a week + strength & conditioning training makes a big difference in how a person progresses as well.

I only pole 1x a wk sometimes 2x, so i also attribute that to my little bit of a slower progression.

Keep practicing, relax & have fun with it & youll see progress. Time, patience & preserverance is the key ;)
Aug 17, 2012
muroo

haha yeah it's crazy how different we can be! 

focus on what you can do and not on what you can't yet. =P who says you have to invert? maybe you can work on yogini or the skater poses or other upright moves and have those be your trademark. :-) 

Aug 17, 2012
sparrow

why are you so focused on inversions? what are your motivations for poling, what draws you to it? is everyone that you see doing inversions ready for them and doing them safely and well? are you putting equal time and energy into upright spins, holds, floor moves, transitions? are you trying to develop as a dancer or just trick out? what are the 'great tricks' you want to achieve?

those are just some things for you to think about personally--everyone has different pole goals, and know that the vast majority of women are NOT inverting at 2 months in. your journey is your own.

my own satisfaction comes from being an all around dancer, being grounded in the earth first, building on that foundation and developing my students to do the same. that is where the magic happens, IMO.  

Aug 17, 2012
Katrea
I was able to invert after only 2-3 months of pole, but it's because I'm also a Kickboxer and do Jujitsu so I already had the the strength from other activities, I just needed the technique. And will that strength I still spent a few classes just practicing tucks in the correct position before going into the invert.
Take your time, build your strength and one day you will surprise yourself and be able to do it.
Aug 17, 2012
chemgoddess1 Paid Member

I am also in the inverted too early and hurt my shoulder/back group.  I have been poling for 4+ years now and I STILL have issues with my shoulder.  It will never be the same.  Trust me, you do not want to be in your 40's and wake up to pain every morning or even worse, have the pain wake you in the middle of the night.  Take your time and learn the proper technique.

BTW, you can get into a crucifix and many other moves by doing a reverse handstand.  If your instructor has not shown you how to do it, look it up here or on the web.  When I was teaching I got girls into this move first and then into an inverted crucifix/bat hang before they ever inverted.  To me this is your escape move and you should have this before ever inverting.  But that is me.  Everyone teaches differently. 
Aug 17, 2012
HyperHorsegirl

My studio won't let students invert until they've been poling for 4 months. They just won't teach it until then. I learned it, but I wasn't ready. This particular instructor taught us to kick into it. Big no no! Other instructors at the studio would have told me to wait. I could DO it, but only with kicking and with poor form. Needless to say, I ended up straining my intercostal muscles. I had torn them in college and to feel that pain again was something I had hoped would never happen. The intercostal muscles are the vertical ones between your ribs that expand when you breathe. The pain was horrible and affected that whole side of my body. Even lifting my left arm (which would stretch my ribs) was hard, and I certainly couldn't put any weight on it for a spin. So, then I became lopsided. Even though I stopped working on inverts to do it right, I was forced to do everything on the right arm! I am still struggling with strength. Worst of all, I used to be fairly balanced in my spins, right and left. Now, I struggle with spins to the left after having to wait for those muscles to heal.

It's really not worth it to invert too early. I'm waiting until it's right. I'll do one every now and then, but only one and I do my best not to kick (even though I still do), and it's not an exception I often make. The injuries from inverting too early have held me back even more and even stunted my progression. Don't give up and keep working toward it (safely), but don't let yourself compromise your health for this accomplishment. It's not worth it!
Aug 17, 2012
PersianXcursian

I inverted during my third class but the only reason I could was because I threw myself into it which is not safe. It is only within the last couple months that I can smoothly lift myself into it. Take your time so that you don't injure yourself
Aug 17, 2012
Dwiizie

Been poling for over a year. No inverts. Nothing close. Still can't do many beginner moves. Learning online isn't working out well for me at all. I hope once I do my studio classes, I can benefit more from Veena. I'm a discouraged poler. I can climb, sit, and on a good day, do a crucifix. Couple of spins, fan kicks, tucks. No inverts. No funny grips. I am furiously frustrated.
Aug 17, 2012
Veena

D, Luxx, all the moves you listed are great moves to know. There are people that pole for over a year without being ready to invert. Your not alone there! Are you taking the lessons here, and for how long? It's hard when you feel like your alone but I'd be happy to help you out if you like. Send me an email and we can take a closer look at what maybe hindering your progress. Hopefully you can also find a good quality studio soon too! 
Aug 17, 2012
Paunobs
I could invert after a few months but did I do it correctly NO !! Consequence was bruised ribs, at 17 months I could say wow I can now invert correctly and with control, so do not be discouraged just keep doing those knee pull ups and Veenas strength lessons!
Aug 17, 2012
Stiletto Jeau

When I first started inverting, I think I just about tore every muscle in my back trying cuz I was so hell-bent on doing it.  I started on my left side and when that hurt so much, I switched to my right.  Now, it's my dominant side : /  That was a lessoned learned for me.  Now, I exercise more patience.  You will build up the strength before you know it and next thing you know you'll be in the air.  Just don't quit...you WILL get it : )
Aug 18, 2012
calipolepixie
Time, time, time & patience my friend. You'll get it but wait until your body is strong enough & ready. Safety first. Just keep up the pull ups, tuck holds & follow veenas strength & conditioning & youll be ready soon. Happy poling!
Aug 18, 2012
Dancing Paws

I think doing side climbs and side climb related moves (like side V, hobbit, shooting star, etc.) helped me build strength to invert. Also doing reverse handstands, inverted crucifix, and inverted thigh hold for leg strength to prepare you for once you are IN an invert.
Aug 18, 2012
IttyBitty Previous Paid Member
Glitterqueen if it makes you feel better I've been poling for almost 2 years and my inverts still suck.....lol I'll keep at it until I can finally get it right :)
Aug 18, 2012
Irmingard

It took me a year to invert. Yes a year! I was on and off poling and during that time I built a strong foundation before I flipped upside down. Don't feel discouraged about those who can invert. You don't know their background or how long they have been dancing. Try working on perfecting your spins and climbs, this will build your strength. Also try crunches on the pole to work towards your goal of inverting. Never kick or jump into an invert because this could cause you to injure yourself. Ideally you want to lift up from a standing position only using your core and leg muscles as you tilt your upper body back. Part of the fun in the process is watching growth and development. Try tracking your progress. You will see how much stronger you get every week if you keep at it. Good luck!
Aug 19, 2012
Trixie Kicks
[aerialamy.com]

Use Amy's tuck n tips!!! It helped me tons. Don't get discouraged if it takes a while to tip. I did these for a few weeks and, ta-da, inverts with no momentum needed. I was able to aerial invert too!
Aug 19, 2012
ShonaLancs
Trixie kicks, that is so true! I did the same a d was inverting with no momentum within 2 months!
Aug 20, 2012
Hazelnut

I inverted on my fourth class and thought I was The Shizz!!!! Until I changed instructors a few weeks later and realised it was totally wrong ie kicking like mad. I also smashed my feet and legs a few times and fell on my arse because i had no control. Not cool. Wait until you're strong enough!!!
Aug 20, 2012
Black Orchid

I inverted pretty immediately without kicking ( as in inverted in the first class we were asked to try it...about 4 months into our levels 1-12 training system) but that came from innverting on silks. When I first tried inverting on silks it was a hot kicking, foot-hooking mess and it took me maybe about two-three months of working on it to get it right, which still didn't mean it looked pretty.

Working on your core strength and building up to it with pole crunches and pull-ups as well as other ab/core work will really help your strength and form. Good luck...you'll get it!
Aug 20, 2012
Runemist34

FOUR. YEARS.

Yes, you read that correctly. It has taken me four years of on-and-off dancing for me to do a basic invert. It still feels totally impossible, even though every time I try I can do it, now.
Seriously, there is so much more to work on than inverting. I've gotten really good at spins. I feel that spins are often neglected when people get into inversions, so you can work on those!

Honestly though, don't feel bad. You'll get there, I promise. If I can do it, you can do it, too! Be patient with yourself. Everyone has their own struggle-moves, their own hangups. I'm terrified to do the inverted crucifix... but I'm almost there! :)
Aug 23, 2012
LuvPole
I have been poling since April 2012... I did my first invert in June or July .... But I still cannot do It from standing to kicking up into it... I just recently learned To do a hangback... Into handstand/split .... And back upright... U definitely need to have very strong legs & abs... So u can pull urself back up... It helps if u use itack or some type of very good grip aid...Everything comes in time and with practice ... Practice and more practice. I have also been recording most of my practices so I can c where I need to improve and how I look... Don't rush the hard stuff just to say u did it.... There r tricks i have been working on for a month or two before being successful ... Learning correctly will prevent injury and encourage u to continue safely ... It's a good idea to have a spotter ( if avail) or crash mats. ( I use the thicker yoga type mat for the most part) ... But knowing ur limitations is important also ... Keep doing strength exercises so u can progress... I have jamilla's art of pole series... Go to pole classes as much as I can... And do my own research from veenas lessons and other online sources ... Don't get discouraged if u don't nail something right away... Some things just take longer ... Stay positive and keep practicing. U will get it when u r ready ;)
Aug 23, 2012
LuvPole
I have been poling since April 2012... I did my first invert in June or July .... But I still cannot do It from standing to kicking up into it... I just recently learned To do a hangback... Into handstand/split .... And back upright... U definitely need to have very strong legs & abs... So u can pull urself back up... It helps if u use itack or some type of very good grip aid...Everything comes in time and with practice ... Practice and more practice. I have also been recording most of my practices so I can c where I need to improve and how I look... Don't rush the hard stuff just to say u did it.... There r tricks i have been working on for a month or two before being successful ... Learning correctly will prevent injury and encourage u to continue safely ... It's a good idea to have a spotter ( if avail) or crash mats. ( I use the thicker yoga type mat for the most part) ... But knowing ur limitations is important also ... Keep doing strength exercises so u can progress... I have jamilla's art of pole series... Go to pole classes as much as I can... And do my own research from veenas lessons and other online sources ... Don't get discouraged if u don't nail something right away... Some things just take longer ... Stay positive and keep practicing. U will get it when u r ready ;)
Aug 23, 2012
Impulse Pole Dance

HI Glitter Gal, we are your neighbors over the bridge in St Pete :) As a studio owner I would ask, are you taking invert strength or pole strength classes at your studio? This will help tremendously. Although it does seem like the holy grail, inverting is actually the tip of the iceberg for so many other things, if you rush it and learn it not from a point of control and strength, you will inevitably be frustrated shortly after as these techniques, moves, tricks, etc. are progressive like building blocks. Off the soapbox, enjoy the ride! It's a journey to be taken at YOUR pace <3 Sarah Impulse Pole Dance
Aug 24, 2012
glitterqueen

Thanks Sarah! I think we might have met at Pole for a Purpose :) I know that I need to take my time and get it right, it's just so frustrating when I want to go play with the big girls and I'm stuck working on Yoginis and Teddys all the time :/

One of my instructors gave me some strengthening excercises to do, and I go to pole tricks foundations class twice a week plus my other classes :)
Aug 24, 2012
Hazelnut

just checked out your blog (stalker much?!) which led me back here and i just laughed out loud and snorted coffee on my desk in my office, which in itself is awkward as i'm in a room full of boring scientists who don't pole dance, but you think yoginis and teddy's aren't playing with the big girls?!?! man it took me MONTHS to get either of them and i know amazing inverters who still can't handle it!!! :D
Aug 29, 2012
glitterqueen

@Hazelnut - I love stalkers, makes me feel like I"m not just writing to myself :D And really? I mean, you can see by the pics that I'm not doing them WELL at all, but it's good to know that people who do the big girl stuff struggle with the stuff I can do :)

P.S. be careful with coffee, it's a pain to get out of keyboards!!! ;)
Aug 29, 2012
Brumby

Ha, our studio doesn't incorporate inverts until after the first 24 weeks of classes.  Talk about taking it slow!
Aug 29, 2012
Tali Kat

I JUST GOT MY INVERTED CRUCIFIX!! :D :D :D :D :D

I can't put that on my facebook, so I gotta put it somewhere!!! WOOO!! I'm just so friggin happy right now :D I was the last in my class to get it and I was trying to not let it get to me, but I found it wasn't my leg strength, but the fact my legs were too slippery!! I thought they weren't cos I don't really get sweaty or moisturise before pole, but today I decided to wipe down the insides of my legs with an alcohol skin solution and suddenly I COULD DO IT :D *jumps on the couch*
Aug 30, 2012
CarissaRose21

It took me 6 months to invert, but I hadn't tried it before then so who knows if I could do it sooner or not. Either way, 6 months in and I could do it, but I wasn't doing it properly. I was kicking into it which is how I was taught for beginners (a no-no), and it took me another 6 months before I was doing a slow and controlled straddle, without kicking. On my pole at home (funny story) I ended up breaking a lamp and slamming my foot into my mother's antique desk leaving a nice big hole in the wood- from not being able to hold my body up because I was kicking up! I ended up pulling some muscles in my back on my left side (which is my "strong side" where I invert) because I was overworking myself. I absolutely regret kicking into my inverts all those months, hell all that YEAR- because I was not strengthening my muscles and preparing my upper body and core for more advanced tricks later on. I had felt like such a badass for so long just because I could go upside down- once I started to plain old deadlift it and straddle could I feel the difference and how hard it is and how I was doing it wrong all that time. Once I started doing it correctly did I advance faster in my pole journey- now I'm able to invert and straddle with straight legs but still practicing, as my hip flexors are weak.
Oct 10, 2012
NinaPoles

I started pole in August 2011, took classes at least 1-3 times every week, and did not even try inverting before February 2012, so that's seven months. After I first started trying I took it slow (trying too many times in one class would completely mess up my back), and I finally got good inverts in the end of March/start of April.

I honestly don't get why anyone would want to invert after only two months - what about all the other fun tricks and spins that you should learn first? Do people just skip those and go straight for the "cool upside down" tricks? And what studios would let anyone invert in their very first class ever? Scary stuff..:)
Oct 12, 2012
Haley Bug

I literally just got it! Like yesterday, my video is up lol. I started pole dance in January of this year and learned the invert in April. I go to my studio 4 days a week and we condition as well as work on moves. It was extremely frustrating at first, but it took time, different instructors, and some really good grip. 7 months was my magic number, but like everyone said, everybody is different and learns at their own pace. My best advice is move on to other things like static holds in the air by climbing, or difficult spins. This might boost your confidence and make you feel a little better while you prepare for your invert. Good luck and don't give up! <33
Oct 14, 2012
Angie La
When I first started pole I was all alone with YouTube in my basement. I just wanted to get my buns in the air and never thought I would be able to do it. It was about 2 months before the magic happened but I didn't know that I was seriously not inverting properly. Sure, people who are strog can just flip right up there and " hahaha I can go upside down," but to do it over and over that way can really cause some problems. So, fun for the nonpoler, and dangerous/damaging for the regular poler. It was about a month and a half later that I started to have some pain under my scapula. I didn't know there was a proper way to train the muscles in order to not only prevent injury but make my inverts stronger and prettier. Found veenas old tutorials on YouTube and I felt like she was talking just to me. It's for this reason that I feel that it is important to have instruction (online or in person) in the early stages. Doing the research and the seemingly monotonous and useless exercises help in such a surprising way. I also feel like inverting too soon can take away the spice of really working on spins. I think I rushed into inverting and it has taken more self discipline than I naturally have to just go back to basics. Good luck with your inverting and try to savor the journey, not just the trick-addiction many of us get hooked on. (;
Oct 15, 2012
glitterpolegirl
Huny it took me 7weeks! One day you will get it. Just remember when you do it focus on your arms more then your feet as u have to lift as well (and lots of people forget that while they r focusing on getting up) (:
you'll get there!!
Oct 15, 2012
FitChix1

First of all, do you have any type of gymnastics, dance, or other athletic background whatsoever? Did you do any type of poling before two months ago? Let me tell you the first thing to remember when learning all this mess... It ain't easy. I don't care who you are, what you do, unless you are or have done any of the above in the past it's going to be much harder for you than those that have. And let me also tell ya another thing, I had 12 years of gynastics and 6 years of dance under my belt (granted I hadn't done any of that in several years), and it still took me almost 6 months before I was able to invert properly. Not to say that it's going to take you that long, but still. Also, keep in mind that everyones body and learning curve is different. As a member-turned-instructor, here are a few tips to keep in mind when learning to invert:

1. Work on your muscle core and strengthening outside of your classes. I lift weights for an hour every day and then after work go to take and teach my classes. It makes all the difference. Even if you don't have a pole of your own at home to practice on, that doesn't mean you can't do other things in the mean time to improvise for building your strength.

2. Stretch well before and after every single workout you do, because believe me when I say flexability and mobility are essential for the progression of all of your pole moves especially inverting. If your muscles are very warm going into your harder tricks it will make things that much easier for your progression.

3. Never, never, never give up! Even when you're tired and worn down after a difficult practice, don't take that as your body's way of telling you to stop. You do need to listen to your body and what it's telling you, but you must know the difference in when it is just tired and giving up sooner than it's actually finished, and when it will actually break if you push any further. If you can't tell the difference, just remember this, it is when your muscles are simply fatigued that you must push them a little further, as this is the point when they actually grow. Stopping at the same point every time just because you're tired, they will stay the same and progressively deteriorate with time and age if not pushed.

I'm not a physical therapist or medical expert on the human body, but, I do know my own body and have grown to understand how it works very well. And, believe me when I say the body tends to play tricks on you especially when you're exhausted. Think about that and good luck in the future!
Oct 15, 2012
Ninja Sarah

First you need to ask yourself one thing? Can you lift the equivilant of your upper and lower body weight? The answer for most women is "No."  Women who usually can do not have much junk in their truck to begin with. For us girls that have that little bit extra to carry around, it isn't every day that we actually lift our bodies up and down using whatever arm and stomach muscles we have. If you have a larger lower body, it makes things, unfortunately, that much harder to lift the body up and over. This little bit is just an add-on to the reply I just put out there under FitChix1 profile. Yep! Same girl!  
Oct 15, 2012
CD Hussey fka Jivete Previous Paid Member

I'm another one who inverted too soon and ended up injuring myself. Don't rush it. I still have to be careful some two years later and over a year of silks or the old injury flares up.
Oct 15, 2012
Ivy Jade

Inverting is a complete thorn in my side.  I was able to nail things like Advanced Plank, Cross Ankle Release, Cross Knee Release, Reverse Grab Sping, etc before I could invert.  And although I can invert now, it is so not pretty and it's quite inconsistent.  I have been working at inverting for MONTHS...at least 5.  I think every person truly is different.  My body learns very slow at poling, and I think carrying extra weight makes it that much harder to pull myself around (although I'm 45 pounds down and counting since January!!!).  I had to back away from inverting for a while to work on strength training.  It really does help.  But don't forget that the basic invert or invert to crucifix is not the end all be all to poling...there are mounds of things you can work on and achieve that others may struggle with.  Be patient with your body, learn safely, and don't compare yourself to others.  Your personal achievements are all that matters when it comes down to you and your pole!  Good luck girl!!!
Oct 16, 2012
panacotta

I've started inverting after 6 months (Though I had an over a month break from pole, so I guess it would took me 4,5-5 mnonths without the break), but I have never tried to invert sooner.

My frustration was the same after 2-3 months of poling, but then we learned some fun tricks and moves and I totally forgot abut inverting until we we started to practice it.

Be patient, it pays off :)
Oct 16, 2012
kittykelly33 Previous Paid Member

Glitterqueen~ Thank you soooo much for posting this!!!

I received my own pole last Christmas as a gift & have been a little disappointed with my performance or lack there of recently. I practice probably 3/4 times a week for the last few months & am nowhere CLOSE to inverting. Thanks again for starting the thread & to all those who have commented. It's very incouraging to see so many varied answers!

Oct 16, 2012
cringirl

I just can't resist this one. The whole reason that I knew that pole was for me was that I inverted the very FIRST TIME I ever touched a pole.

My friend had a Sexy Party at a dance studio, it was fun, a dozen girls taking turns learning moves.

The instructor thought I'd poled before. I haven't really gotten very far since then, but I have a pole and I use it to dance, for excercise and fun. I have a bad knee so I can use the pole to balance.

Even if I am a beginner forever, I love to pole dance!
Oct 18, 2012
Nutmeg
What a fun topic! I inverted the very first time I tried pole.

I'm going to qualify this with the fact that I did gymnastics for 8 years, and also did Brazilian jiu Jitsu at the time. I believe that it's more important knowing that you have built up to being able to invert correctly and with control than being able to invert soon after you begin pole.

A friend took me with her to a class, we learned the chair and fireman spins, did a cardio pole workout, and then the instructor gave us a free song. I asked her to teach me how to "go upside down" and she kindly told me that I needed to show her that I had the strength and control first. She walked me through the v lift hold and then taught me the basic invert.

That's all it took, I was hooked on pole!

Oct 18, 2012
nataliejean103404
It took me a year and a half to do a straddle invert, I NEVER thought I'd get it. And I practice hard four days a week. I started with no upper body strength . . so I guess I'm proud I can do it no matter how long it took. I look at people who inverted the very first time they tried pole . . . WHAT???!!! Nope, year and a half . . but I got it ; )
22 days ago

Nilda Carrero Nieves
Incredible...so hepful, love each lesson and all live vĂ­deos.
more testimonials