StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions How Long Did It Take You to Invert?

• How Long Did It Take You to Invert?

Posted by glitterqueen on August 16, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I'm at two months now and I feel like everyone and their mother can invert and I can't. Two girls just came in and did it in the first class – I'm seriously ready to give up over here 🙁 I can't do any of the great tricks or move on with anything new until I get this stupid #@($*&#@$ invert down :(!!!

nataliejean103404 replied 5 years, 6 months ago 44 Members · 56 Replies
  • 56 Replies
  • CapFeb

August 16, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Take it slow. I rushed into inverting, and over doing it can cause injury. Then you send more time off the pole. It takes some people a week, some people a month, and some people many months! I was 3 months into pole when I started inverting. But some girls at my studio were consistantly shoulder mounting.

• keex

August 16, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I know it's hard to not compare yourself to other students in class.  But, considering you're only 2 months into pole dancing (& I'm not sure how many times/week you practice) there are so many other pole skills that you can focus on that are fun and challenging and will help you build the strength & coordination needed to invert safely & properly rather than just flipping yourself  upside down by any means necessary and putting yourself at risk of injury.  Veena's tutorials should be a helpful guide in training progressively & systematically.  I can't even imagine teaching inversions to beginners.  In fact,  I just wrote a blog about this very topic.  Check it out: https://www.studioveena.com/blogs/view/Step_10_The_Key_to_Nailing_Advanced_Pole_Tricks_20120813053514

• Lyme Lyte

August 16, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I started inverting wrong and threw out my shoulder and messed up my back.  Not to sound like a downer, but it took me well over a year to be able to do it well, do it good, and have it look nice.  But I am old.  I would say to start working on pole crunches!  🙂

• dustbunny

August 16, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I think 2 months is pretty early to invert to be honest.  I think I was about 3 months or so, AND I was doing it before I was ready.  I didn't have the strength to do it properly and I'm lucky I didn't hurt myself.  The worst I did was to create bad habits that I had to retrain later on.  Take it slow and enjoy the journey.  There is SO MUCH to learn without inverting.  I have 2 students who just started inverting today.  They have been taking lessons with me for just over 6 months. They both were able to invert (low to the ground and with a spot) sucessfully because they took the time to get there.  I know how hard it is, but if you can stop stressing and worrying about it, it will come when you are ready.  🙂

• Tali Kat

August 16, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I've been poling since the start of the year, but cos of uni it has to take a back seat and I don't get to work on strengthening very often so I still can't invert yet. *shrug* I know if I worked harder I'd have it by now, but I'm ok with taking my time :3

• Dancing Paws

August 16, 2012 at 7:12 pm

First time, about 1 year, took 9 months off pole and had to start over. Second time took me about 9 months of intermittent practice to get a sloppy invert. I am a slow progresser.

• PixiLouBell

August 16, 2012 at 7:17 pm

about 3 weeks, but everyone is different! dont rush it, u will get it promise, just keep working, you can do it!!! 🙂

• Lyme Lyte

August 16, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Yeh, Rixi is a strong wonder woman! 🙂

• PixiLouBell

August 16, 2012 at 7:21 pm

no way LL thats blondebird!!! lol! 😉

• Lyme Lyte

August 16, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Yeah BB is great, but given the time, I think you could work up to that. U made such quick progress so fast!

• PixiLouBell

August 16, 2012 at 8:18 pm

well it will b a year in october and no iron x yet!! and her iron x is redic lol i really havent been working on mine this summer tho, boo

• Veena

Administrator
    August 16, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Don't feel discouraged, Glitterqueen! As others have mentioned, don't rush! Even if there are others in your class that can invert on their first try, doesn't mean they should be. 

As mentioned in Keex's blog, you need to build a foundation. This is what we work on in my lessons here as well. One thing builds on another. 

In order to see faster progress, working on your pole work, and conditioning outside of your class time would be very helpful. Taking a class once a week isn't really enough for most of us to see an improvement, unless we are strength training or conditioning 3 times a week too. 

Also, not every pole move is right for every body, (yes I meant body) https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif we all have strengths and weaknesses. A pole dancer doesn't have to invert, but it is something you can strive for if you like. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• PixiLouBell

August 16, 2012 at 8:55 pm

veena is so right it took me forever to get superman while others got it right away!!

• Empty

August 16, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I am 2 months in and I can do inverts. Nothing fancy though, just Inverted V & the Butterfly. Those are the only things I'm comfortable with. Everything else scares me to death. I'm always afraid of kissing the floor with my face. So I tend to avoid doing inverts out of fear. Everyone in my class is rockin Scorpios and Catapillar crawls….I have no desire to go there AT ALL..
    So just cause I can do them, doesn't mean I want to. lol. Everyone has there own pace.

• calipolepixie

August 17, 2012 at 12:49 am

I know its tough but try not to compare yourself to others (yep all women do it), we all learn at different speeds. Take myself for instance…i am a tad slower learner but ive come to realize that it is the right pace for me. I didnt invert until i was poling about 3 to 4 months that was my studios policy though, which i totally think is great timing. And i just got the inverted crucifix to where i could hold it longer than a few seconds a few months ago & i’ve been poling almost 3 years!

I really think practicing 2+ times a week + strength & conditioning training makes a big difference in how a person progresses as well.

I only pole 1x a wk sometimes 2x, so i also attribute that to my little bit of a slower progression.

Keep practicing, relax & have fun with it & youll see progress. Time, patience & preserverance is the key 😉

Page 1 of 4