StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Help me decide please!!

• Help me decide please!!

Posted by eiskairhon1383 on February 7, 2020 at 12:26 pm

Hello!!
    I’m very struggling between getting a Brass pole or a Powder coated pole for my home!
    I live in a cold area, but we usually have the heating around 71.6 degrees, so nice warm without being hot. My skin is a little dry but I use a lot of creams. And I usually struggle with grip.
    They say brass poles are for people that sweat a lot (it’s not my case) but also for warm temperature. I’m thinking about getting the Powder coated but I’m afraid if it’s too sticky or doesn’t work well in my conditions.
    Any advice??

Thank you!!!!

Veena replied 4 years, 2 months ago 6 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    February 7, 2020 at 10:48 pm

Sorry I had this written out be had to go to my sons school for an event and forgot to send it!

I have both finishes and LOVE my brass. I have dry-ish skin and my legs and hands have trouble gripping due to being cold. Brass has been the most consistent finish for me. I’ve used it in the cool rooms and super hot rooms. When they say brass is good for those who sweat, they just mean it’s better than other finishes, not that it’s only for those who sweat.

I have the powered coated xpole and I don’t care for that finish. I do have a powder coating that does work great but that pole isn’t made anymore. I have stainless steel and chrome as well but nothing compare to my brass poles, for me.

Both brass and PC can end up feeling “rip your skin off” grippy but you learn to work with it. I have found I can use any finish if I use the right grip aid mix so go with the pole that fits your budget.

• chemgoddess1

February 7, 2020 at 11:06 pm

I had more issues with powder coated in the cold than I ever did with any other material. When the pole is colder and your body is warmer the paint just is not porous enough to absorb the moisture and it seems like it always had a thin layer of condensation.
    That said, I am also not a huge fan of brass just because of them smell. I have a chemistry that turns a lot of perfume sour and that I think is the reason I get so smelly on it. The grip is amazing (one reason I wish they still made the titanium pole) but the odor is a complete no go for me.

When I lived in Ohio chrome was the best for me. Now that I live in NC I prefer stainless.

I will also add that my experience with PC was on a Lil Mynx. I have never been on the XPole powder coated.

• eiskairhon1383

February 7, 2020 at 11:10 pm

Thank you very very much for your reply Veena!
    I have the same problem, I don’t sweat or get warm easily, and I struggle with the grip.
    I’m a bit confused with the names. The one I meant is from x-pole and it’s called “powder coat black” in the website. Is that the one you say you don’t like very much? What’s the main difference in gripping and general use between that one and the brass?
    I’m also a bit concerned about what they say that brass gets damaged and scratched easily.. I have a baby and two cats!! Lol

• eiskairhon1383

February 7, 2020 at 11:16 pm

Thank you very much chemgoddess1, yes I’ve also read about the smell of the brass. I’m assuming it doesn’t leave any stain right?
    I’ve always trained with chrome in studios, it’s what I’m used to, but I wanted to try something different for my home and found that PC and Brass had better grip so that sounded amazing for me but I still don’t know fully the difference to know which one would be better…

• Veena

Administrator
    February 8, 2020 at 12:26 am

Yes, I have the black powder coated xpole, I never use it. It’s slippery until it warms up, the finish pinches more than metal and also it’s a 45. I like 40 or 38 mm poles.

The smell of my OLD brass xpole was awful as Chemgoddess said. I could shower and wash my hand all day and it would still smell on my body. THEN I bought a Platinum stages brass 38, it doesn’t smell (maybe a tiny bit). Then I got a NEW xpert brass with the twist to lock function and it doesn’t smell either….I know that xpole acquired Platinum stages and I’m wondering if they are using the PS brass for their xpoles now? Just a theory….

So the old xpole brass (old style locking screws to switch to spin) STINKY, blah. My NEW 40 xpert pro brass X lock, feels and smells just like the PS. LOVE

Something to note, the don’t carry the brass xpert in a 40 yet for purchase, just the 45 diameter.

As far as durability, I’d say my PC poles have gotten more scratches than the brass has. I wouldn’t worry about it, as long as you don’t dance with rings, belts or sharp things (not suggested any way) you should be fine.

What are you using right now, or is this your first ever pole?

• mystical

February 8, 2020 at 3:54 am

I was actually wondering the same thing about the 2 finishes,I was thinking of getting the new xlock pole powder coated or the brass or chrome, not sure yet. I have heard good things about powder coated and brass. I really did like the chrome compared to my titanium gold

• eiskairhon1383

February 8, 2020 at 9:14 am

Yes it is my first pole. I’ve gone to studios (with 40 mm chrome poles) but this is the first one for my home.
    I’m looking at the page now. The pole I would get would be the XPERT or the XPERT PRO, either of them, in any material. But I thought the only difference between them was the lock. I mean, if I get a Brass or a PC should be the same material and quality in both right?
    And I would like to get it in 40 mm, for a change.
    According to the page, you can get all the materials in either 40 or 45 mm, except the titanium gold in the XPERT and the silicone ones in the XPERT PRO, that just come in 45 mm…
    If you all say that PC is difficult with cold, maybe it wouldn’t be the best option.
    I was about to get the XPERT PC black before I wrote here… Now I’m still a bit confused with what material I should get… but so much great info you have given me!! Thank you!!

• eiskairhon1383

February 8, 2020 at 9:17 am

I meant to say I’ve gone to studios with 45 mm chrome poles…

• Veena

Administrator
    February 8, 2020 at 4:10 pm

I don’t work for xpole so I really can’t say what the finishes will be. I would think all diameters with the new xlock would have the same non stinky brass finish.

If you like the look of the PC it’s cheaper, go for it. You can pretty much make any finish work with the right grip aids.

When I look at their website and when my husband bought my new brass they didn’t yet have the option for brass in a 40 with the xlock. I only see chrome when I look. https://xpoleus.com/shop-all/poles/xpert-pro/xpert-pro-px/

Are you in the US?

• eiskairhon1383

February 8, 2020 at 4:45 pm

No, I’m from Denmark… I buy it in the page https://x-pole.co.uk
    I just realized the brass is more expensive, I didn’t know that either.
    I hope is worth it! If not I’ll go for the PC

• StrangeFox

February 8, 2020 at 5:20 pm

Unfortunately, what pole finish works best for you depends on many factors and what works for others with a seemingly similar skin type may not work for you. If you have the option, I would recommend finding a pole studio in your area. The studio may have different finishes you can try, or some of the students may have home poles they’re willing to let you try. 🙂

• eiskairhon1383

February 8, 2020 at 10:57 pm

Yes 🙂

One last question please
    As the Titanium gold has a better gripiness than other materials like chrome, when the color gets faded, does the extra gripiness go away too or it is always maintained?

• Veena

Administrator
    February 9, 2020 at 4:54 am

For my TG the grip stayed the same even when some of the coating wore off. However, my TG pole is one of the first generation old school so I can’t say with the new ones.

• eiskairhon1383

February 9, 2020 at 8:50 am

Thank you! I’ll think and decide soon with all this info 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    February 9, 2020 at 4:08 pm

Let us know what you get!

Page 1 of 2