StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Heels and Carpet

• Heels and Carpet

Posted by Sayra on July 28, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Any advice/tips/hacks for dancing with heels on carpet? Specifically with pivots and turns?

I’m been doing the new Flow Drills (and loving them), but I like to practice them both barefoot and in heels. Movements such as the Cross Step and Pirouette just aren’t happening because the toe of my shoe won’t pivot on the carpet. Any tips?

Note: at this point, I don’t want to rip out the carpet and put in hard floors.

Sayra replied 7 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    July 28, 2016 at 7:56 pm

I wore socks for bare feet when dancing on carpet. If you have grippy rubber bottoms on your heels you can tape them up with duct tape or clear packing tape and they will not stick.

• LatinPoler

July 28, 2016 at 10:19 pm

I use clear duct tape on the rubber sole and works pretty well.

• TiffanyHayden

July 28, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Omg Veena that is the best advise! In all my years I have never heard of putting packing tape on the rubber for carpet!!! I don’t pole at home now because of the carpet/ heels issue. I’m so trying this tonight!

• maurer rose

July 29, 2016 at 1:14 pm

I feel stupid for asking, but could someone make a demo video of how you taped your shoes? A while ago I cut tape to fit the bottom of the soles and it was halfway peeled off after I’d used my shoes on carpet just twice. I’m wondering if you folks cut the packing tape to fit the soles or if you literally just put strips of tape across the bottom and up the sides.

• LatinPoler

July 29, 2016 at 2:17 pm

I bought a good quality clear roll (Duck tape) of approximately same width as the soles of the shoes. I just cut a strip and stick it to the sole. I do not customize anything, there are small parts of the rubber that are still exposed, but they don’t bother. The borders of the strips may peel a little but never too much, I change them from time to time for sanity.

• bigkitty1

July 29, 2016 at 4:39 pm

I’m glad I read this! I will also try the duck tape

• Sayra

July 30, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Today’s craft project. Thanks for the tip Veena!