StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Having the Classic “how do you tip?” Issue with Tuck Inverts

• Having the Classic “how do you tip?” Issue with Tuck Inverts

Posted by StrangeFox on July 16, 2017 at 6:06 pm

I’m joining the ‘how the heck do you do that?’ club for tuck invert enthusiasts. 🙂 I’ve watched Veena’s awesome video, but I still keep getting stuck on this one, so either I’m not strong enough, or I am having trouble activating my muscles. I get to that point where I’m curled into a ball, and I can chill out there for a little while (see the pic of me doing my best pine cone impression below), but I can’t seem to tip back/lift my hips up.

Is this a strength issue and it’ll just come in time? I managed 1 tuck into a regular invert on a really good day last week, but I had an instructor prompting me and I have no idea what I did.

I can post a quick vid if that will help. I searched the forum and found a lot of great advice, but I’m still lost. I keep thinking: “butt up, head back” but I’m physically stuck in this upright tuck – I won’t budge.

StrangeFox replied 6 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    July 16, 2017 at 7:30 pm

The tuck invert is far more difficult than the basic. You’re basically deadlifting and unless your basic invert is very solid you don’t need to worry about the tuck right now. Have you gone through the invert program? This will help prepare for tuck and aerial inverts as well.

Don’t get stuck on a move. I see students obsessed over this invert and it’s not even a must have move. Relax, try it now and then, and keep working on other things in the meantime, because everytime you pole you’re building strength overall. Tuck invert is good for building strength but the basic invert is easier on your body and I think looks more fluid than a tuck anyway!

• Veena

Administrator
    July 16, 2017 at 7:35 pm

PS…as far as technique goes, you have to start in side pole hold, then let the arms extend as you lift the hips up! This is why many students suffer from scapula or intercostal pain. They do it too often or before they have the strength and muscle memory and often only on one side.

• StrangeFox

July 16, 2017 at 10:47 pm

Thanks Veena! Phew…okay, that’s a relief! As long as I don’t need this to get into the intermediate moves, I’m okay to wait. I’m a long ways away from having enough strength to do aerial inverts, and there’s so much more I want to learn before I start to do those. I plan to start the invert program after the 30 day take-off.

I got obsessed with trying to nail this move because it’s like the pole equivalent of that claw game you see at arcades (the one where you try to pick up a stuffed animal). It looks so simple, but there’s so much more going on. And I keep getting close on my good days, but I’m not quite there. The closest I came I got my hips up but couldn’t keep them up and had to come into a regular invert. And after that my body was jelly and I couldn’t invert for the rest of the class. I think it might be a combo of not yet being strong/coordinated enough to lift the hips and extend the arms at the same time. In a few weeks I’ll try again. 🙂