StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Handstands

• Handstands

Posted by Nat on June 15, 2018 at 10:57 pm

So I keep trying to get my handstand on and off since I started my pole journey. I can press into elbowstand stand, but cannot do freestanding elbowstand. I can do reverse handstand and when coming off the inverted move. However I keep trying to do it against the wall and I just can’t. I try to sweep, kick etc but my legs just want go all the way. I know I can hold it as husband helps me to get up there and that is not an issue just cannot get up there on my own. I have watched every single Veena’s tutorial in regards to handstand by now. Anyone have any suggestions please.
    Ps on a more positive side, while back I posted that inverted crucifix was my biggest nemesis and was nearly thinking I will give up because of it, well it no longer is I am happy to report that being upside down is issue any more. Keep at it, it does get better 🙂

Nat replied 5 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Runemist34

June 16, 2018 at 2:33 am

Hey there!
    So, when you said you get into your elbowstand, you said you press into it. With the handstand, it sounds like you’re kicking up, which would create quite a bit more momentum! The control needed to keep that momentum from taking you all the way over is really difficult to achieve without a LOT of practice!
    My suggestions would be to slowly work on your freestanding elbowstand, and then for handstands, for now use a wall or the pole behind you, so you can’t go all the way over! That will help you figure out where your balance should be, and how hard you need to kick up, until you’re ready to press up into your handstand.

And it’s super exciting to hear about your inverted crucifix! That one was super hard for me, too! I have a lot of anxiety about the hold in that move, and facing straight down to the ground. I’m glad you didn’t give up! There is so much more you can do!

• Veena

Administrator
    June 16, 2018 at 3:59 am

Oh handstands, for most people it’s a mental block that prevents them from kicking up to the wall. You might be too close, too far away or have poor hamstring flexibility. If you had a video of your attempts it would be easier to pin point what is going on. Kicking up to the wall is a great way to start and will feel much different than a press, but pressing into handstand is sooooooooo hard. Some also prefer to work on them by doing a reverse handstand on the wall, so by facing the wall.

How long have you been consistently using THE STANDS routine? Know that it’s normal for it to take months of practice to even to get to the point of kicking up to the wall, just like many other pole moves.

I’ve been working on unsupported handstands seriously, pretty much daily, for a good 3 years now and it’s not something that most people magically start holding with ease. It took me a good solid year of super consistent practice, to hold and feel like I had some control and not just dumb luck! That’s why I decided to create the Stands routine, it’s all stuff I used to help in my journey. I’m excited to create more handstand help lessons in the future too!

• Nat

June 16, 2018 at 11:52 am

Thank you ladies. I think it’s mental block. I have been doing your routine for couple of weeks alongside my usual weight lifting, but definitely not consistent. I think I will have to put more effort into making time for handstand specific training and definitely try to get my elbowstand freestanding. I am not particularly worried about pressing into handstand but just not being so scared of handstands as I know it will stop me from further progress in a long run. There is so many routines in your app that sometimes I get ahead of myself and want to do it all.
    😀