StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Hair Flips

• Hair Flips

Posted by Domolovestea on October 17, 2017 at 3:35 am

Hi everyone!

I’m just getting into pole dancing and have quickly noticed how empowering it appears to be able to do hair flips. I have thick afro-textured hair and find it extremely difficult to achieve this look without heat or hair extentions. Should I consider chemically straightening my hair? I just can’t help but feel so unsexy with hair that doesn’t flip and gets squashed when I do floor work that requires me to lay flat on my back. I probably won’t relax my hair, but i’m starting to feel a little desperate. I’d really appreciate tips or suggestions.

Thanks!

Veena replied 6 years, 6 months ago 9 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Barbarella

October 17, 2017 at 8:49 am

Hi Domolovestea,
    I’m afraid I can’t give you any advice, but I can tell you you are not alone! I have rather curse and thick hair (not afro-textured though). When doing hair flips it gets stuck in very weird, fluffy shapes. Just as if I had been headbanging at a heavy metal concert :-)) At the moment I prefer to keep my hair up in a bun while dancing… Maybe we should just tell ourselves that sexy comes from the inside and not from things like hair, a skinny body or whatever…

• Domolovestea

October 17, 2017 at 9:59 am

Thanks for the advice Barbarella!

Your comment about head-banging at metal concerts made me smile. I think maybe I’m just taking myself too seriously. Especially after marathoning advanced pole routines on Youtube. Pole is about having fun and expressing ourselves afterall. Thanks for helping me see that.

I should have mentioned this in my last post, but my hair is kind of short, so bunning is a sad no-go. But I still really appreciate the suggestion!

• grayeyes

October 18, 2017 at 12:30 am

I wish I could hair flip but I stink at it. When I do manage it my hair always ends up plastered across my face in some unattractive way. I’m sure that’s a combination of my lousy technique and my flat as a pancake, thin hair. You’re not alone, we’re not all hair flippers. 🙂

• pr1nc3ss

October 18, 2017 at 1:57 am

Hello I have natural hair that doesnt flip unless I straightened it but my last recital I wore these big feather earrings which added flippy movement. The other thing I do is wear wigs, tree braids, or crochet which allows for movement without damaging my hair with a lot of heat.

• StrangeFox

October 18, 2017 at 3:01 am

I’m another non-flipper with the same issue as greyeyes. I have really thin, fine hair and it’s decently long. Whenever I flip my hair it ends up plastered to my sweaty face or in some weird position that’s very un-sexy. I tend to toss my head back instead of flip my hair. I’ve actually had people giggle at my attempts to hair flip! I’m sorry I can’t offer much advice, but maybe some of the other polers on here have some tips! Just wanted to say I’m in the same boat!

Check out Veena’s floorwork section for some great ideas on sexy things you can add to your routines. I love how everyone has their own brand of sexy when they get on the pole. 🙂

• Lavenia Price

October 18, 2017 at 4:54 am

I have an afro that doesn’t move as well. I found that I too wanted the flips so I tried it to see how it felt. Guess what?? ALL that hair was in my way, lol! Different strokes for different folks. Use your hands and let them do the talking. Wear nice earrings that flap and fly.

Also, youtube and find some natural polers so you can see how they look when they pole. Thier sex appeal is still off the chain, they just communicate it differently. It’s late and I have a 1 year old on the loose, but if I get a chance I will revisit this post with a few YouTubers you may enjoy 🙂

• LatinPoler

October 18, 2017 at 10:50 pm

I do hair flips all the time, both by practical and aesthetical reasons!

In fact, there are two types of hair flips: the vertical one (chin to chest and then toss hair back) and the semicircular one (chin to shoulder and trace the chest to the other shoulder). I call the first one the flip, the other the wipe. You use the flip when you are NOT travelling, for example, when you stand up from the floor or in floorwork, when you push back from laying on your belly to sitting. You use the wipe when you are moving, for example, in spins or spin climbing.

I don’t think you need a special type of hair for this, not even long hair. Just a head move looks fantastic. Doris Arnold for example has short hair and moves the head very nicely all the time.

Practical tips: don’t wear earrings (they may catch the hair and you may hurt yourself), only mat or non-transfer lipstick (no sticky gloss), no false lashes. It’s OK to readjust your hair after a flip or wipe if you think it did not end up in a nice position, just make it a thing! Flirt with the audience. Also, where your part is does matter, especially in wipes. I think middle part works the best. I have side part and I feel that it is in the wrong side for may natural wips when I’m on spinning pole.

Hope this helps! Do you want me to create a video explaining the technique?

• Rachel Osborne

October 19, 2017 at 12:23 am

I want a video! Thanks latinpoler! On the subject of hair one of my teachers always said it was really a head toss not hair toss and you could do it beautifully even if you had no hair whatsoever

• StrangeFox

October 19, 2017 at 12:50 am

Me! Me! I want a video LatinPoler! Pretty please with a cherry on top? 🙂 I always admire your head tosses in your videos. Those are all great tips… I’ll have to remember them next time I try a hair/head toss.

• LatinPoler

October 19, 2017 at 2:22 am

OK, stay tuned! Will try to do something in the next few days. I agree, it is a head toss, the hair is simply attached to the head.

• Veena

Administrator
    October 19, 2017 at 8:58 pm

I personally feel it’s about the head roll and the hair (whatever style you may have) happens to goes with it. It’s sexy and shows emotion with or without hair!

This video kinda shows what I mean, you’ll see it in the beginning. If I had hair it would be flipping 🙂 https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/522e5494-5018-4732-9a6f-35cb0ac37250