StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Forearm Pain Advice

• Forearm Pain Advice

Posted by Alice in Poleland on August 16, 2016 at 7:46 am

Hi everyone 🙂
    I’ve recently been experiencing some forearm pain/aching after pole sessions, which lasts up to a day or so and is really painful! I’ve been practising a lot of moves that use the split grip, and have been trying to only practise these once a week, but it’s still hurting after each session.
    Am I overtraining or doing something wrong? Is it just because my forearms maybe aren’t strong enough yet? Is there anything I can do to stop them aching so bad??
    Thanks so much in advance! x

Alice in Poleland replied 7 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • LabCobra

August 16, 2016 at 10:09 am

It’s hard to diagnose the issue from afar so if you really want to find out you will probably need to see a physician about the issue. Generally speaking if the pain only lasts a day and is entirely gone after that it’s probably nothing too serious – but beware as it might turn into that!
    The two most likely causes are intense muscle soreness of some kind of inflammatory process like tendinitis (but only a very early stage or it would not disappear this quickly). Either way it is probably advisable to reduce the training intensity. Practicing the strenuous moves once a week sounds completely fine but maybe you’re working on them too intensely during that practice. What do those sessions look like? Also, how often and what do you train besides that? I’m asking because even if the main issue should be split grip tricks other exercise of course still is relevant when trying to figure out whether or not you are overtraining. You could try to work on split grip twice a week rather than once but only half the amount of time per session. Another thing that might be helpful is to take extra care of your forearms in warm up. Warming up the wrists really well can help reduce or prevent issues like this.
    Outside of your training you may find that self massage or foam rollers help bring relief. If sore muscles are the root of the problem arnica containing cremes or lotions can also help. You could try doing exercises to strengthen the forearms but not when you’re in pain and only separately, not in the sessions that already overstrain those muscles.
    If you don’t find those adjustments help you within a few weeks I would advise you stay off the pole for a while, meanwhile strengthening the muscles of the forearms and if necessary consulting a doctor. But let’s hope that won’t be necessary.

• Alice in Poleland

August 16, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Thank you so much for your very detailed reply! 🙂

At the moment the pain does disappear within a day or so, but I am worried it may develop into a problem. Spreading split grip move practice over two days sounds like a good plan. I think I probably have been training a bit too intensely as I sometimes get overexcited trying to nail new moves! These sessions usually involve a bit of dance/warm up, then I start practising the moves and putting together little routines… can last up to two hours. Pole is my main form of exercise (I usually have 3-4 sessions a week, lasting 1-2 hours) but I also do some strength and flexibility training and walk/cycle everyday. I will definitely make sure to warm up my wrists/forearm before jumping into the moves!!

I have a foam roller for my legs and it works wonders so may give that a try, too. I have been doing exercises for strengthening my forearms on the same day as training some days which probably hasn’t helped.

I hope it doesn’t come to that as I love pole!! But I think I may need to ease up on the training a bit as I really don’t want to end up with a more serious issue.

Thank you!!

• Veena

Administrator
    August 16, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Are you doing stretches or foam rolling specifically for the forearms after? This can make a huge difference.

• Alice in Poleland

August 16, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Hi Veena, I make sure to stretch my forearms after sessions, but it seems to only help a little. How long should I be stretching them for?
    I don’t use a foam roller for my forearms very often and rarely straight after a session – I will give this a try!

• Veena

Administrator
    August 16, 2016 at 3:27 pm

If you’re working forearms hard, try 10 minute or more even. Foam rolling or using a tennis ball can really help. Also make sure you’re not conditioning sessions for the forearms aren’t too close together. They need time to recover just like other muscles. 🙂

• Alice in Poleland

August 16, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Ah, I’m stretching them for nowhere near as long as that! I’ll make sure to stretch them properly and take advantage of my foam roller. Thanks so much for the advice, your site and lessons are awesome! 🙂

• Wibberoo

August 17, 2016 at 9:40 am

Just in to say be very careful here in case you’re developing slight tendonitis in the elbow or wrist because that could start giving you quite serious issues. It’s worth checking in with your dr.

Also are you giving your wrists and forearms a decent warm up before you practice? I like the GMB wrist prep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSZWSQSSEjE I also find the novel wrist movements at the end of this video useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lStKMq5Chc

• Alice in Poleland

August 17, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Thanks so much for the links – very useful! I have a routine check up soon so will bring it up with my doctor then… I am concerned about it becoming more serious :s

• Claire Moon

August 17, 2016 at 11:50 pm

Had the same-sounding issue once. Went to MD. Turns out my muscles in my forearm had become unbalanced, some weakening with others almost getting too strong. I had also done some micro tears. I had to do PT for a few weeks which set me right as rain!

• Alice in Poleland

August 18, 2016 at 7:46 am

Briwi – hmm, that sounds like something I could potentially have, I’ll see what the doc says. At the moment I’m taking it easy which seems to be helping, I just hope I can get back and improve on those pole moves soon… Why do so many moves require forearms haha 😀 Thanks! 🙂