StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Fear of going Upside down

• Fear of going Upside down

Posted by Runemist34 on October 29, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Hey everyone!

So, I was just wondering if anyone, like me, has a fear of being upside down?

I ask, because I kind of figured out why it's so hard for me to do the Croass Knee Release, even after a while of doing it rather consistently.

I've always been terrified to be upside down. I hung my head off the couch to get myself somewhat over it…and even that freaked me out! I had my whole body supported, and I still felt it!

So, anyone else? Any reccommendations on how I can get over this one? Inversions are definitely something I want to get used to, get graceful with, and it seems that even if I know for sure that my hold is solid, I'm still reluctant to let my head down.

yogabeachbabe replied 12 years, 5 months ago 16 Members · 34 Replies
  • 34 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

October 29, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I used to at first but not so much any more.  It was a real freak outfor me when I started going to a studio that had 12 foot poles.  The thought of having my head upside down higher than 4 feet in the air immobilized me.  For me it was learning a million ways to get out of things if something were to go wrong before I was totally comfortable.

• nymphdancer

October 29, 2011 at 3:32 pm

nope I was that weird kid on the playground that was always hanging upside down. I have less fear of heights upside down then righ tside up. But I'm weird and I know it lol.

• Runemist34

October 29, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Chem- I kinda like that! If I might ask, what kinds of ways did you come up with? My pole is about 8 feet tall, so I don't need to worry about the height (yet!), but even if I'm, say, all the way up one climb, I still don't feel comfortable! I'm relatively good at sliding down (till I find the floor, and then my back gets stuck on the linoleum :P), and like I said, I'm usually quite solid when it comes to leg hold.

Nymph- Hehe, I wish! I'm not really that afraid of heights, though sometimes they do give me a little twinge, but the upside down thing…I dunno! Perhaps just the change in perspective, I don't know how things work anymore. I'm one of those people that can't figure out which way to turn my wheels on a bike or in a car if I'm backing up! lol

• polegypsy

October 29, 2011 at 6:25 pm

i have a fear of being upside down, here is why….

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/09/15/woman-left-paralyzed-pole-dancing-class-accident/ 

and my b/f being in a wheelchair (from a motorcycle) i know how hard it would be if anything this extreme was to happen.

but, i still pole and still ride a motorcycle, cause i believe, if its to happen it will happen because it was meant to happen.

and don't think about it, just think about how much you love what you are doing right in that moment! and thats what i do, with poling and riding!!!

good luck, i know you can over come this!! ♥

• Dancing Paws

October 29, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Well, you should be starting low, and you should have a crash mat, so that should help. I always  looked up at my feet while I was releasing down (not at the floor.)

• FreeTheSun

October 30, 2011 at 12:37 am

Cross knee/ankle release still freak me out. I'm fine doing them but it's the going backwards upside-down that bothers me. Normal inverts no prob, but that backwards feels so much more vulnerable. And if things went wrong it near imposible to tuck and roll to safety. Honesty i think just more practice of going to, from and holding it.

• opielee

October 30, 2011 at 1:09 am

Have the same prob,inverts ok,hand/headstands,ok too,but cross ankle/release scares me,I’m trying to figure out ways to get over it,I’m at a loss,besides crash mats,is there a psychological way of getting over that fear?

• PoleSkivvies

October 30, 2011 at 6:53 pm

So far, Ive found my fears disappear when my strength builds up.  I've learned that, if I'm scared, it's because I'm not ready for that move.  Of course,  I'm doing simple inverts and not trying anything super crazy, so this might not hold true beyond my level, but so far it's been a good gauge.

• Aly77

October 31, 2011 at 8:56 am

It's not so much a fear of being upside down for me.  It's the CAR that scares me.  There is something about only holding on to the pole with my legs straight out, letting go with my hands, and my head going backwards.  I just can't psych myself up to do it.  I've tried it low, with pillows underneath me, and with a spotter and I freaked out.  I can do a CKR just fine, and also a gemini, scorpio, brass monkey, etc.  I will also do just about anything upside down involving holding on with my arms or hands, such as an EG Aysha, TG Aysha, etc.  I know it's all in my head, but I guess it's landing on my head that scares me!!!!

• Dancing Paws

October 31, 2011 at 9:14 am

I find the CKR to be far harder than the CAR, but maybe that's just me.

• Sam I am

October 31, 2011 at 9:35 am

MATTSSSS and a SPOTER helped me get over the fears 🙂

• FreeTheSun

October 31, 2011 at 11:33 am

@sensualscimitar: It's not just you. I've always prefered the CAR over the CKR. CKR doesn't feel as secure. Granted I'm nervous about both, but significantly less so with the CAR.

• nymphdancer

October 31, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I feel much more secure in CKR  then the CAR I can do them both, but 9 times out of 10 will do a CKR.

• Reyn

October 31, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Well if it makes a difference I find myself much more comfortable walking my hands down into the CAR than just dropping (that way I can make sure my legs are in the proper hold while my hands are still in reach of safety). 

I have a similar problem actually… I'm trying to choreograph a routine for a competition, but now the pole is 14' high and I feel like I need to use that space… but the HEIGHT really scares me in a lot of moves, like the Knee Hold or the Jade or any weird leg switches while I'm inverted. Any tips for that as well?

• Aly77

November 3, 2011 at 8:43 am

@Runemist….." I'm one of those people that can't figure out which way to turn my wheels on a bike or in a car if I'm backing up! lol  """

Haha….This is totally me too.  I'm left handed so that doesn't help.  We have a riding lawn mower with a small dump trailer, and I can't figure out which way to turn when backing up.  Our insurance company for our 36 foot fifth wheel trailer made us list me on there as a driver because I'm licensed.  I told them if it ever had to be moved and it was left up to me, I would have to call a towing company.

I feel more secure in the CKR because I have my leg crossed and braced against the pole.  I used to get real dizzy when I would go upside down, but with time that has gone away.  When I first tried the CAR, before I let go with my hands, I slid down a little.  That is what freaked me out and left me with that "I'm going to slide straight down on my head" feeling. 

Page 1 of 3