StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Fear of falling/injury

• Fear of falling/injury

Posted by Nat on February 2, 2018 at 6:51 pm

So I have done it officially signed up for Veena’s app. I am planning to take it slow and probably start from beginners again. I am yet unsure whether I will carry on with my private sessions, stop them completely or reduce hours. One thing is I am really, really scared of injury. I have got crash mat but how do you deal with times when there is nobody to spot you? My husband will be here sometimes but obviously not always. How does it work for you guys? Obviously I will take it super slow, build up more strength etc but inverts make me terrified. I done inverts at my sessions but the minute I need to let go of my hands (inverted crucifix) I just panic!

Estef Martinez replied 6 years, 2 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • ptkells3642

February 2, 2018 at 11:29 pm

I would say that until you are very confident of your ability to do a move, to not perform it unless you have a spotter. This is especially true for inverted moves, for obvious reasons! Once you know how you feel in a position and have the confidence that you can safely EXIT it in case something goes wrong, you’ll have more confidence to do things alone. Learning exit strategies is what helps me the most when it comes to confidence in learning new pole moves on my own. The last thing you want is to be stuck, upside down, and not sure how to get out of it other than sliding or falling. Veena’s lessons are wonderful and she always includes exit strategies! Hope this helps.

• Nat

February 2, 2018 at 11:42 pm

Thank you. I think as you say I will have to wait till my dear husband is available to catch me before I do tricky moves. I just hope I will get over this fear and believe in myself!

• StrangeFox

February 3, 2018 at 3:06 am

Hey! I second everything ptkells3642 said! Also, Veena’s lessons will start with baby steps (doing moves from the floor) and tips to prepare for the move if you’re not yet ready. For example, if you’re nervous about taking your hands off of the pole in inverted crucifix (I know I was!) you can place your hands on the ground and then gradually lift them when you’re comfortable with your leg grip.

Also, I only ever do crazy stuff on the pole if my fiance is home and I usually tell him when I’m poling and have him check up on me. I personally wouldn’t have my fiance spot me because he doesn’t really know how to spot for pole and if someone spots you improperly they could still injure you (or you could injure them!). Your hubby could always learn to spot for pole, though!

Happy poling!

• Baudelaire

February 3, 2018 at 1:53 pm

It is so so so so so SO important to learn how to fall safely. There is great advice about falling in this article https://melnutter.com/2016/04/04/what-happens-if-you-fall/ but don’t forget to educate your husband about how to spot you correctly as well. The more he understands about each move will save both you and him!

• Veena

Administrator
    February 3, 2018 at 4:56 pm

Don’t worry about falling! If you always think, “don’t fall, don’t fall” you’ll set yourself up for fear and then you won’t achieve moves as easily because you’ve instilled unnecessary fear into the learning process.

I designed my lessons for people with no exercise background and of all sizes. We always start on the floor or as low as possible. Follow the order of lessons (they’re progressive in EACH category) don’t just randomly pick and choose things to work on.

Try any of the 30 day programs as well. As long as you stay within your limits and work with a crashmat you don’t have to be fearful it will only hold you back.

• Nat

February 3, 2018 at 9:22 pm

Thank you. I definitely need to have a positive frame of mind. I do keep telling myself, that I can’t do it, my legs won’t hold me etc and then just panic and grip the pole with all my might. I think I will go back to basics and do the reverse handstand as in your lessons and slowly get my confidence with letting go of my hands. Also will practice my headstand bit more. I have started the 30 days take off. There is so much content that I need some structure so it’s good that it’s all laid out for me so I can just tweak it to what I need! Thanks everyone!

• Estef Martinez

February 23, 2018 at 4:19 pm

@Baudelaire thanks for the article! Really insightful! Veena, it would be great if you did videos showing good ways of falling! Maybe that’s an idea for a Tips video or something like that! It’s one thing to read the article, and it’s an entirely different thing to see the technique in action. I haven’t fallen off the pole yet and I try to always keep the points of contact and your advice in mind but a video on falling correctly would be amazing!!!!