StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Fear of Letting Body Fall Into Spinning

• Fear of Letting Body Fall Into Spinning

Posted by Youngs7 on August 24, 2012 at 12:21 am

Hi Guys,  I am a new member to the site as well as fairly new to the pole being about 2 months into it now.  I have been in a few discussions here on Veena and I have just discovered something that I am having a problem with which is prohbiting me from progressing on the pole.  I need some advice.  I am hoping that someone can give me some suggestions from experience of overcoming the issue of having the fear of letting your body fall into a spinning move…(basic spinning)  I've been practicing and did not realize the fear I have by either letting go a hand from the pole or actually practicing the basic move of going into a spin from floor moves.  I notice that when I am trying to attempt a basic spin or even the sitting position on the pole which is another basic move, I am afraid.  I am somewhat embarrased of this issue I have but realized that it is really hindering me from progressing.  I have been attempting to climb the pole but besides  building upon my upper body strength, my fear of actually having my feet off the ground makes me nervous.  My heart starts beating fast even before I attempt to complete the move but I try it anyway and sometimes successful although heart is fluttering (lol).  Before, I would say that my anxiety is ON and hindering me, but additionally, it is my fear of just letting my body go.  I want to advance in pole dancing, but now since I have accepted the reality of not putting the blame only on my anxiety, I feel that I have to address my fear of just letting my body go.  

Has anyone else had this problem?  Please help guys.  I need to get pass this issue.  My practice is being hindered and it is frustrating me.  Thank you all in advance.

AvaBabe replied 11 years, 7 months ago 10 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Babz

August 24, 2012 at 3:21 am

I’m totally on the same boat!
    I can’t do any spins yet since I’ve only tried to do some today but I’ve only managed to have my feet off the ground for a few seconds.
    I think its a mind over matter thing. Tell yourself with confidence “I can do it this time!” And try it.
    Even if you can only hop or have it up for a second it helps!

You can do it. 🙂

• chemgoddess1

August 24, 2012 at 7:45 am

I wish I could offer some more advice.  It comes down to trusting your body.  For my girls that were afraid of letting their feet off the ground I always worked them through pole holds and then sliding to the ground to prove to them that they indeed could hold their own body weight.  Then I would work on step arounds (inside foot near the pole, sweep outside foot all the way around the pole and kind of squat until both feet meet again on the opposite side, then pivot out).  Once they started getting the feeling of the step arounds I would have them start putting a little "hop" into it; basically getting both feet off the ground even for a split second just before they both come together.  If you keep your legs straight instead of bending to squat the move is easier.  It is a small version of a straight leg fireman spin.  I also found that with those that were afraid of fireman, the front or back hook was easier for them to grasp and use to get over that fear.  One other thing is to face the pole, place your feet close to it and lean back, taking most of your weight into your hands.  Take one hand off, then the other and switch back and forth.  See if you can get both hands off before falling too far back.  This is more of a trust your pole/trust yourself kind of move.

In time your confidence will build.  I have issues with fear on some moves that have kept me from moving on even at this point.  Whatever you do, don't give up.  You will be amazed when you read this in a few months that this was even something that was holding you back.

• Dancing Paws

August 24, 2012 at 10:45 am

Knowing that falling out of a spin is not a horrible thing  is a good thing to realize. The FIRST THING my instructor had me do when I went into the intro class was had me "fall." I stood next to the pole, hands in baseball grip. She had me put my legs a little forward and lift my toes so only my heels were on the ground. I then had to slide down to my tush. She said "there, you fell."

When it comes to spins, hand strength is going to be a big player in your security. If your hands are not strong enough to hold on while you spin, you can tell. The best moves to practice are the half spin and the fireman (initially.) Once you get those solid, the attitude is next. falling on your butt in an attitude isn't bad. Next comes a chair. The outward force to get around is awkward and you feel like you'll fly off if your hands aren't strong enough to hold on. Start small, like a half rotation around the pole and build up. The one that is the worst for flying off fears is the reverse grab…

• Youngs7

August 24, 2012 at 10:49 am

Thank you very much guys.  I was so embarrassed posting this, but in order to overcome this fear, I had to face it.  I actually thought that I was the only one having this problem.  Now, I feel better that I have great advice and encouragement.  Chemgoddess1, thank you for some tips on how to trust myself and I will work on them today.  I love watching the videos posted and I want to join in on the spinning moves, instead of just wishing that I can.  I need to build my confidence and trust myself as you both have stated.   I appreciate you guys.   Thank you so much.

• Veena

Administrator
    August 24, 2012 at 10:57 am

Youngs. Pole dance is just as much mentally challenging as physically. You're not alone there!! I think that is why we find it so powerful, you feel stronger phyically and mentally too! If your taking the lessons here. Please feel free to stay with the first standing entry variation of pole spins. There is no need to rush walking into spins right away. This will help you understand the spin better without all the added momentum. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• Youngs7

August 24, 2012 at 10:58 am

Thank you Sensualscimitar.  I apologize but I did not see your comment while writing my last message because I was writing mine at the same time.  I will work on the moves you've given as well.  I need to get over the heart fluttering of actually doing the spin.  I have the boldness to do it, but need the confidence of knowing that I can hold on to the pole as you have stated.  I have been working on trying to climb the pole as well and oh my goodness…LOL.  I feel like my heart is doing track and field.  LOL   Thank you so much for your advice.

• Saphyre

August 24, 2012 at 10:59 am

Hi YoungS7 and welcome to the world of pole and this wonderful web site. I wholeheartedly agree with everything that Chem said. I do have some other suggestions. Stick with transitions, floor moves, and just pure dancing for now. Also, work on strengthening and conditioning.  I have several fears with poling (mainly due to age) and have found that when I feel stronger and more distracted, I have less anxiety. One day you'll just be groovin' to the music and and you'll just want to grab onto the pole and try the step around move that Chem mentioned without even thinking of the fear factor! I also want to point out that spins are not really a basic move when you are just starting to pole and a climb is definitely something that you have to work up to. Do you have Veena's lessons? Everything is structured and sequential so that you do not move too fast. Take your time! Poling comes naturally to some, but most have to take baby steps. You will be surprised at what your body can do if you just let it move at it's own pace. Good luck!!

• Youngs7

August 24, 2012 at 11:21 am

Yes, I am taking Veenas lessons.  I attended a studio for a month and the instructor had us doing from beginner to intermediate moves and most certainly, I could not do anything which required me to be off the ground, which I felt like an idiot.  What made it worse for me was seeing the other girls effect the moves with no to little problems while I was suffering badly… LOL  I did not keep in mind that I was the only beginner in the simple pole class that night which I was told  that I needed to move from the beginner pole to the simple pole classes.   I decided to stop attending the studio because I saw no progress at all and it lowered my confidence.  Not too long before deciding to stop attending, I found Veena.  Issue I have to realize is that I've had a taste of the intermediate although I could not effect it, now, I want to get to that point however realizingthat I also have this fear hinders me as well.  Starting off too soon at the studio sort of pushed me back but thank goodness for Veenas lessons.  I will be working on them more this weekend and hopefully this fear will cease soon.  🙂  I know I will win the battle because of the desire of conquering these fear issues and advancing on the pole.  Thank you guys for all of the great advice.  I do not feel so bad now but when I was writing it, I felt like a total idiot.  LOL

• kasanya

August 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm

No need to feel silly! The fear of falling is pretty fundamental to human nature. I was terrified of spinning backwards when I started poling, but I worked through it by trying and bailing out of the the back hook spin over and over. It got better with practice and one day it just stopped being scary. I had the same trouble with layback type moves, too. It will all come with time! It's partially a "need to develop the strength" issue, generally, and partially a "need to learn to trust myself and the pole" issue. Practice fixes both! Good luck!

• twirlygirl

August 24, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Your post made me smile. No one could ever be more nervous or afraid during poling than I am. It took me many months to do a basic fireman. I have been poling for about two years now. I am inverting and doing things I never imagined i could do. I learn all moves very slooowly. I do all new move in slow motion, and practice the move stationary with zero momentum first. All inverts and pole sits that are new are done 1 inch off the ground where I can put my hands or feet down if I feel the need. The girls in my class would laugh and nod at this. Learn at your own pace, practice the move in suspended motion so you get a feel for it, add momentum slowly, it will come.  I promise. I still have a long way to go, but I have been where you are and I have come a long way, and you will too!

• twirlygirl

Your post made me smile. No one could ever be more nervous or afraid during poling than I am. It took me many months to do a basic fireman. I have been poling for about two years now. I am inverting and doing things I never imagined i could do. I learn all moves very slooowly. I do all new move in slow motion, and practice the move stationary with zero momentum first. All inverts and pole sits that are new are done 1 inch off the ground where I can put my hands or feet down if I feel the need. The girls in my class would laugh and nod at this. Learn at your own pace, practice the move in suspended motion so you get a feel for it, add momentum slowly, it will come.  I promise. I still have a long way to go, but I have been where you are and I have come a long way, and you will too!

• twirlygirl

• twirlygirl

August 24, 2012 at 8:32 pm

sorry about the repeats, new to the site1

• Morgan29

September 12, 2012 at 9:54 am

I totally understand Youngs cause I am starting back but I want to know how do you really get over the fear?

• Morgan29

September 12, 2012 at 9:54 am

I totally understand Youngs cause I am starting back but I want to know how do you really get over the fear?

Page 1 of 2