StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Everyday Ways to Improve Hip Flexors and Hamstrings?

• Everyday Ways to Improve Hip Flexors and Hamstrings?

Posted by StrangeFox on October 2, 2017 at 4:22 am

Anyone else have incredibly tight hip flexors and hamstrings? My occupation as a developer and my penchant for running has left me with ridiculously un-flexy hip flexors and hamstrings. I’ve been doing well with stretching and flexibility training, but was wondering if there were any other everyday things I could do to improve my hip flexor/hamstring flexibility, or at least make it so I don’t keep shortening them?

Allison Erin replied 6 years, 6 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • mertilosandra7947

October 2, 2017 at 10:54 am

Same job, spending long hours sitting. What i started to do for a few months is to stand up every hour for 5 to 10 min at a time, I am lucky we have convertible (to standing & sitting) desks where I work. It has made some difference for me, in the sense that i feel slightly less tigh in my hip flexors and hamstrings but I can’t say that i have suddenly become more flexible 🙂 although my range of motion has improved quite a bit. Hope this is useful 😉

• Allison Erin

October 2, 2017 at 9:37 pm

I’ve been wondering this exact same thing! This has always been my weakest area (just sitting straight up with my legs out in front of me is crazy hard), and for a while I had been trying to fit in stretches wherever I could (while brushing my teeth, while waiting for my coffee to drip) to try to combat it. But now that I’m here and Veena keeps telling me to never stretch a cold muscle, I’ve stopped that and I don’t know what else to do.

• travelerunderstars4916

October 2, 2017 at 9:52 pm

Yeah me too! I have crazy inflexible hamstrings that get so picky. I can hurt them stretching even slightly cool. I would love to know if there’s anything I can do!

• StrangeFox

October 3, 2017 at 12:14 am

Looks like tight hamstrings and hip flexors are pretty common. I’ve been seeing flexibility gains but have often wondered if I’ll ever get to where I want to be or if it’s not something that’s going to happen with my desk job. I also wonder if I should be doing something differently considering the amount of time I spend sitting. When I come home at the end of the day I try really hard to move around a lot, and if I need to sit at the computer I try to do it while I’m sitting in a pancake stretch or pigeon or some other pose where I’m not shortening my leg muscles. I also sit on a ball at work instead of a chair so I’m forced to keep my core tight, move around, and sit in ways that stretch my legs.

Mertilosandra – I think getting up and moving around every hour is a good idea. I’m going to try to set alarms on my calendar so I remember to do that!

• Veena

Administrator
    October 3, 2017 at 1:44 am

Allison it’s totally ok to gently stretch during the day after setting, I’m more referring to training to gain flexibility when talking about not stretching cold. As long as you are gentle it’s ok.

This Veena’s tips may be helpful! I demonstrate ways I deal with sitting for long periods of time. https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/5357d706-3bc8-456d-876f-5cd80a9aa0eb

• StrangeFox

October 3, 2017 at 4:29 am

Thanks Veena! That’s super helpful! I have an exercise ball at work and everyone already thinks I’m kind of weird, so they probably won’t care how I sit on it! 🙂

• Allison Erin

October 5, 2017 at 2:26 am

Thank you so much, Veena! That’s great to know, and the information in the video is incredibly helpful! =)