StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Erector Spinae

• Erector Spinae

Posted by Saphyre on April 14, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I have boogered up my erector spinae. Super tight, crunchy, limited movement.  I am seeing a chiropractor and getting massages, but would love to learn a good stretch specifically for this muscle.

Saphyre replied 12 years ago 7 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Saphyre

April 16, 2012 at 11:15 am

Thanks, Trailblazer. The pain is the most intense on the right side of my spine at about bra strap level, maybe just a bit lower. It continues striaght upward to about the middle of the right scapula, perhaps a bit higher. I have some referral pain under the scapula. Low back is good, traps are fine. Did a bunch of spinal stretches yesterday, but still have the "crunchiness" and pain. I've been taking ibuprophen and icing. Next massage isn't until Friday, next pole class is Thursday. Any help you can offer would be great!

• Dancing Paws

April 16, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I don't have any advice, but I will say that I had pain in that same place all throughout jr. high and high school (a little in college too) from carrying a (way too heavy) backpack.

• Elektra Vallens

April 16, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I don't really have any advice, but I can sympathize- I hurt my erector spinae when I was learning the shouldermount to brass monkey transition.  I probably wasn't strong enough at the time to do a move with that much twisting while lifting.  Anyway, if you've been doing moves like that, it could be the problem.

• Veena

Administrator
    April 16, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I'll send you an email. 🙂

• aweagle

April 16, 2012 at 11:34 pm

@ Saphyre … See if you can find anyone in your area that does ART – Active Release Technique and Graston Technique. I messed up the same muscle so bad I couldn’t lay down, life my arm or even carry my pocket book. I got Graston and ART done twice and I was back to normal. If you have questions let me know. I hope you heal quickly!

• aweagle

April 16, 2012 at 11:34 pm

@ Saphyre … See if you can find anyone in your area that does ART – Active Release Technique and Graston Technique. I messed up the same muscle so bad I couldn’t lay down, life my arm or even carry my pocket book. I got Graston and ART done twice and I was back to normal. If you have questions let me know. I hope you heal quickly!

• Saphyre

April 16, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Thanks, aweagle. Nice to hear from someone in North Carolina. I lived in Charlotte for 2 1/2 yrs when I was in my 20's and my hubby and I bought some property in Stony Point for a retirement home. I will ask my massage therapist about those techniques. She did do something where she presses her elbow into the area with a pain level at 5-6 for about 30 seconds. It's one of those hurts so good moves. Not sure if that is one of the techniques. Funny you should mention your pocketbook. I think I messed it up while walking around the hills of Nashville, TN with a too heavy purse on my shoulder! Then I had a pole class 4 days later. I took it easy, but I think it might have been learning the thigh rest that pushed it over the edge.

Thanks also to Elektra. I believe I already strained the muscle and then made it worse by learning a new move without being 100%.

By the way, I've only been poling since November and I'm 47. I really have to start doing a lot more conditioning so I don't get hurt again!!

• aweagle

April 17, 2012 at 9:29 am

@ Saphyre – How funny about the Charlotte connection. Your massage therapist was probably working on a trigger point release. You can go to the websites for both ART and Graston and find practitioners in your area. I hurt so bad I could barely get dressed or take a shower. My doctor thinks I dislocated a rib and as a result of not taking time to heal the erector spinae muscle group knotted up with scar tissue. I hope you start feeling better soon! If you’re ever in Charlotte come pole with me!

• Saphyre

April 17, 2012 at 10:27 am

Wow, Trailblazer! I appperciate such a thorough reply. I did suspect that the combo of my vacation (time off the pole) and then getting back on the pole again had something to do with this. I invert from the left side of the pole, so my right side takes the brunt of the force. I knew my age would come into play at some point and I think this is my "beware" moment.  I am very in tune with my body so everything you mentioned below makes perfect sense to me. I have an awesome massage therapist and she has all of the pertainent certifications. I did try to use a tennis ball and even a foam roller, but I will take your suggestion and use something softer. I am pretty good with my diet (right at my target weight) and drink loads of water. I just really need to concentrate on the stretching and once healed, conditioning. You have some great suggestions, and Veena is also looking at what she has in her lessons that may help me. Again, thank you, thank you!!

• SashaMae

April 17, 2012 at 8:58 pm

The Theracane is my best friend. It’s my go-to self treatment tool. I recommend it to all of my clients! Very inexpensive and easy to use!

http://www.theracane.com/

• Dancing Paws

April 18, 2012 at 9:18 am

I've used the thera cane and the back buddy. I personally like the backbuddy better 9I feel like I get better leverage with it. http://www.amazon.com/Body-Back-10100000003-Buddy/dp/B0006VJ6TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334758676&sr=8-1

• Saphyre

April 18, 2012 at 11:28 am

Thanks, everyone! I have been given some very useful information. Hopefully, the issue will resolve in the next few weeks. 

• glitterhips

April 18, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Oh girrrrl I hope you get better soon!