StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Do you consider the Butterfly (split grip) a fundamental move?

• Do you consider the Butterfly (split grip) a fundamental move?

Posted by LatinPoler on November 23, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Hi, I have been struggling with the Butterfly for months now. I can do it from the basic invert, and it does not look bad, but I don’t like how it feels, mostly because I don’t feel very safe. Nevertheless, I keep working on it because I think it is a fundamental move. By fundamental I mean a move which is entry or base for other moves, like leg hangs or sits are.
    Now I’m thinking I could be wrong. I am not super expert, but I cannot think of a single move that cannot be entered from a trick different from Butterfly. For example, flat line Scorpio or Jade, you can enter from Butterfly, but also from a leg hang.
    Thoughts? Am I over-obsessing with Butterfly, should I just relax about it? Maybe revisit the move from time to time, or just abandon it because it’s not worth it if it doesn’t feel OK?
    Thanks!

x falcon 3 0 x replied 7 years, 5 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Cherished

November 23, 2016 at 9:40 pm

I don’t use the butterfly a lot right now except when I do a cradle to butterfly trick. However I do like to keep it in my practise because it’s a good conditioning move, especially for ayeshas & handsprings. I would say don’t abandon it but maybe it doesn’t need to be your main focus. If you still keep it somewhere in your practise routines as you progress with other moves it will probably feel more stable as you gain more strength. I also didn’t like how it felt when I started learning it.

• LatinPoler

November 24, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Thank you! Yes, that makes sense.

• Phoenix Hunter

November 24, 2016 at 9:31 pm

I totally agree with cherished. Keep working on it but don’t worry if you don’t have it completely nailed at this point. I think the strength and balance you gain from butterfly help build up to Ayesha and handsprings like cherished mentioned. Is it the regular butterfly or the extended butterfly that you feel uncomfortable with, or both? Also inverted D an help stabilize you for an extended butterfly. But some people find inverted d harder than extended butterfly. That’s just an alternative to try if you haven’t tried yet. Some people find it easier . Just depends on the person. Maybe post a video of your butterfly. There may be something off in your alignment that makes it feel unstable. When I finally got my alignment right for butterfly I felt really stable. But if it’s off just slightly it’s really scary. Sometimes you just need to change your technique slightly

• Veena

Administrator
    November 26, 2016 at 3:28 am

I do, here’s why, a fundamental move is a building block to understanding and building strength for more advanced moves. Just because I label a move fundamental doesn’t mean you HAVE to learn it. There’s really no move you have to learn….in fact the most important concept for pole is understanding scapula placement and conditioning the body for moves you might learn. After that point, it’s about learning each move with correct techniques in mind. I hope that makes sense.😆

• Claire Moon

November 26, 2016 at 4:39 am

I think it is fundamental, as in, you’ll gain a lot from working on it. That being said, everyone has moves they feel do it don’t look good on them/feel right/are connected to. So if it’s never perfect, it’s inconsequential. I can’t seem to get a proper extended butterfly for the life of me so I just sort of moved on haha.

• LatinPoler

November 26, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Thank you ladies!!! I will keep at it without obsessing 😉 .I’m uploading a video in a new thread, I
    It just let me upload pictutes from here.

• x falcon 3 0 x

November 26, 2016 at 9:27 pm

I think it’s fundamental because for it was the first “ass-up” move that I learned, versus leg hanging moves, where my hands were apart on the pole. I don’t do it much now and when I have to in class it’s funny how I have to really think about it. From it you learn extended butterfly and you build up to a lot of moves from there as Veena mentioned.