StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Decisions! 45 or 40mm?

• Decisions! 45 or 40mm?

Posted by coolchange on June 30, 2017 at 10:10 pm

I just called X-Pole to order a 40 mm brass. My 50 mm served me well, I need something taller and it’s missing a few pieces after a move. The rep I spoke to said they are still selling more 45 mms than 40s? I def want to go down from the 50, but now I’m stuck. Any downside to going to a 40? My hands are on the small side, thanks!!

StrangeFox replied 6 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • StrangeFox

July 1, 2017 at 12:34 am

Hey Coolchange – I was in a similar spot when I was buying my first pole. I wasn’t sure whether I wanted a 45mm or a 40mm. I went with the 40mm (brass) because I’m an absolute beginner and I’m on the short side with really, really tiny hands. 45mm is considered the “standard” pole size, at least here in Canada so most studios will have 45mm poles.

I keep hearing it’s harder to do things that involve gripping with the legs (ie. leg hangs) on a 40mm pole. I’m not doing anything too crazy yet, but I did notice I have to squeeze my legs a little harder in inverted crucifix on my 40mm pole…however, I find pole sits way, way easier on the thinner pole. Personally, I love the 40mm and think it’s the perfect size for me. I don’t notice a huge difference going from my 40mm to the 45mm in the studio. You might notice a bigger difference going from 50mm to 40mm, though. I think it’s all just a matter of personal preference. Some people like a thicker pole and some people like a thinner pole. Let us know what you end up getting! 🙂

• MdawWat

July 1, 2017 at 1:40 am

I enjoy having a 40 and am glad I have it. The biggest drawback is probably that when I am practicing for a performance, I don’t get the same confidence as when I am practicing on a 45 since there are minor adjustments that one makes for the size of the pole. I also wish my Pole Aria fit on it.

I was worried about the leg grip thing too when I got it. For things like leg hangs it wasn’t an issue. Cross ankle release and elbow grip ayesha I was a little afraid to try at first because it just felt like the pole wasn’t really there. Once I got over my mental hangups it wasn’t an issue though. I absolutely love the pole for hand grip based tricks, and I find it easier to learn on the 40. I find that these skills transfer well to the 45 after I learn them on the 40. My biggest skill based problem with the 40 is not over gripping in one handed spins.

• coolchange

July 1, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Thanks for your replies. I went out and wrapped my hand around my 50 again. I think a 40 will be a huge improvement for me. At 49 my wrists are a little tired, lol.

• coolchange

July 11, 2017 at 1:36 am

My 40mm arrived fast, no regrets!!!!!! So much easier to grip. Wow, a long lay-off and assorted pounds to lose, I’m feeling a little “earthbound”, haha!! One day at a time, no??

• StrangeFox

July 11, 2017 at 3:17 am

Yay! Glad you got your 40mm, coolchange! I LOVE mine and miss it when I’m on the 45mm in the studio. You’ll be up in the air soon! 🙂