StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Deadlift Elbow Stand Help

• Deadlift Elbow Stand Help

Posted by PaulettePoles on October 15, 2011 at 4:24 am

Got a question!

Ive done yoga for years and lots of headstands…

I can deadlift my legs no prob up and down in a headstand, but when I try in an elbow stand, I cant! (or pencil) Ive been working really hard at it the last couple weeks and all that has happenned is I am now really good at it in headstand. What could I possibly be doing wrong, and does it make sense that I should be able to do it or is the muscle placement so different that it requires different strength? Thanks for any help / tips/ responses! 🙂

Veena replied 3 years, 4 months ago 17 Members · 67 Replies
  • 67 Replies
  • emotioncatcher

October 15, 2011 at 5:03 am

without a pole or wall i think the headstand is easier to balance (at least for me^^)

did you try it against something?

the most important thing is to place your feet close to your head, straighten them and lean over until your hips are over your shoulder. then you legs should lift nearly automatically ^^ 

if you use a pole, you should keep some distance, so that you can lean over enough

• PlatinumAni

October 15, 2011 at 8:28 am

I replied on my video but wanted to add that watching it back, the best ones my hips were really over my shoulders.

• amy

October 15, 2011 at 11:15 am

In a headstand, you are actively pushing away from the ground with your hands and arms. In a forearm stand, you may be forgetting to do that?

• PaulettePoles

October 15, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Thanks for the tips! I will try them tomorrow and let you know how it goes.. 🙂

• Tine007

October 15, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I'm not sure it is anatomically possible to deadlift and elbow stand (unless you're contortionist, maybe?).

Even the most advanced yogis I've seen and who can deadlift a headstand and handstand in the middle of the room always go into forearm stand one leg leading, even if it happens super slow and controlled.

My teacher explained in an inversions workshop that forearm stand is actually harder to get into than a handstand (even one leg at a time) because it is much more difficult to bring your heart forward through your arms due to the position of your shoulders. This however is what enables you to bring your hips over your shoulders, which makes lifting sooooo much easier 🙂

I can dead lift into headstands, handstand w. back against the pole and Iguana mount, but for forearm stand it feels like my shoulders won't allow to hips over my shoulders enough.

For the iguana, try bringing your head closer to the ground, that helps getting the hips over the shoulders and you don't have to lift as high 🙂

• emotioncatcher

October 16, 2011 at 3:58 am

@ tine: against a pole or wall it´s definitly possible. you can lean your hips enough over so that your feet can´t do anything else but lift =)

i have a tutorial on it where you could see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeYQnDsKBLQ

• mizvix

October 16, 2011 at 4:20 am

It is possible – i'm not a particularly gymnasticy person but have been working for months on being able to deadlift into a straddle elbowstand. i always do it away from poles and walls to ensure that i'm not using them for support (but my core is strong and i'm confident that i won't overbalance). i started by lifting one leg, then the other and then holding different leg shapes and straddling down slowly.  i focus on is keeping my arms, shoulders and tum engaged and pull my legs up from my tum. one of my friends keeps her elbows wide to keep her more stable, as close to a 'tripod' headsand as she can get with elbows down.

• amy

October 16, 2011 at 8:02 am

I always tell students to set up their forearms a little bit in front of the pole, not with your hands wrapped around the base. If you wrap it is much more difficult (or anatomically impossible!) to stack your weight properly with a rounded back. I did this Tuesday tips that goes into way more detail, hope it helps!

http://aerialamy.com/blog/2011/08/09/tuesday-tips-forearm-stands/

• Veena

Administrator
    October 16, 2011 at 8:34 am

You don’t have to be a gymnast to deadlift from an elbowstand, I can do it with straight legs or v legs. Your balance points are different in the headstand than the elbow! Headstand you can lift up even if your weight is a bit forward the forearm however you have to have your butt/hips over your head/shoulders you also have to place the elbows right and the shoulders must be engaged, hamstring and shoulder flexibility is needed and triceps and core strength will help you control the move. I go over all of this in the lesson….. Elbowstands like handstands and forearmstands take time!!!!! Don’t expect to master this in a few tries!

• Veena

Administrator
    October 16, 2011 at 8:44 am

Oh I should also add you will not be able to hold or be close to the base of the pole/wall if your deadlifting with straight legs, because the hips have to move way beyond the shoulders 🙂

• PaulettePoles

October 17, 2011 at 5:20 am

Hopefully TODAY I will be able to go try out your tips! Going to watch your video now @emotioncatcher and then off to your blog @amy, @veena- I am so dumb! I have your lessons and havnet watched this one. My daughter has been in the hospital- which is 2 cities away from my home, I have 2 other kids and my hubby is out of towm so I have had 0 time to pole or anything this last week. Today is a new day!

• Veena

Administrator
    October 17, 2011 at 8:05 am

Oh lol well good luck. Hope you find the lesson helpful!

• Krista Bocko

October 17, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Paulette–well, I can do elbowstands finally after a LOT of practice, but handstands I can't do yet. Interesting how some things come easier than others. GL!!!

Now today I tried the straddle into a backbend, can the experts on here critique?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5G2VB74ijg&feature=channel_video_title

• emotioncatcher

October 17, 2011 at 2:10 pm

@sparrow: looks very pretty! i like that you lie down on your back instead of lifting your feet back, never seen this on a pole before like this =)

• ajpole

October 17, 2011 at 2:32 pm

@Sparrow – try cusping your hands around the bottom of the pole and then resting on your forearms…this will put you closer to the pole and can create some really nice lines and shapes with the backbends and leg variations

Page 1 of 5