StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Considering PCS masters competition at Arnold next year–thoughts/advice?

• Considering PCS masters competition at Arnold next year–thoughts/advice?

Posted by grayeyes on March 5, 2017 at 10:57 pm

I went to some of the PCS competition at the Arnold this year and now I’m considering competing in the masters (over 40) competition next year. From reading the rules, etc. for this year’s comp it appears to be a relatively small entrance fee that guarantees you a spot on stage. There were only three people in that group this year and it doesn’t appear there is a prize or anything (they got medals). I believe I’m pretty much at the same trick level as the ladies who competed this year so I figure what have I got to lose? Am I being naive about how difficult it is to prepare? I know I’ll need help with choreographing a routine and likely finding music because that’s not really my thing but other than that and a costume, what am I missing?

AllysonKendal replied 7 years ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Lucca Valentine

March 5, 2017 at 11:32 pm

Omg yes do it!!! (That’s really my only thought….Γ°ΕΈΛœβ€š)

• LatinPoler

March 5, 2017 at 11:44 pm

To get a better feeling of the process, I would suggest to perform first in a less competitive environment, maybe in your local studio πŸ˜‰ It is going to be more relaxed and kind of a rehearsal. You can build a draft of your routine for this performance, with the tricks you want to include, etc. Then, analyze what worked and perfect the routine and process for your competition. Go for it girl!

• Veena

Administrator
    March 6, 2017 at 5:44 am

That’s exciting!!! I suggest going in to it as a challenge for yourself! It’s good to know if you’re in the right level but you’ll be less likely to fall into a mentality of “not good enough” if you focus on yourself. Keep in mind though, that while you want to challenge yourself and impress everyone, the tricks you choose for the final comp need to be SOLID! There’s nothing more stressful than seeing someone look as though they are not in control and might fall!

It’s a good to try some performing if you haven’t just like Latin mentioned.

Here’s video with some tips for making routine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhW5OcZoMRM

It can also be found in the Veena’s tips section if you’d like to save it here in your Favs.

• grayeyes

March 7, 2017 at 2:30 am

Thank you to all for your advice. The masters competition just didn’t seem very high pressure to me (again, I realize I may be oblivious). It almost seemed more like an exhibition than a competition. If there’s no real prize or anything it just seems like a show and people got ranked at the end. I don’t care how I rank. I figure the worst thing that can happen is I’ll make a fool out of myself in front of a room full of strangers–that won’t be a first. πŸ˜‰ It should be a good motivator for me and it’s a goal I’ve had in the back of my head since I started poling. πŸ™‚

• Veena

Administrator
    March 7, 2017 at 2:35 am

Yeah, it depend on which masters are competing. There are some crazy talented over 40s out there! Sounds like you have a good attitude about it and if it’s a goal go for it!!!

• AllysonKendal

March 10, 2017 at 12:44 pm

Yes! I think you should do it. ðŸ’‒ Every year a few people I know end up competing at the Arnold open.. and they say it’s a blast.

I think being pushed to make and perfect a full routine can be a great challenge and help you grow too. I say go for it!