StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Can’t do any tricks after class – has this ever happened to you??

• Can’t do any tricks after class – has this ever happened to you??

Posted by StrangeFox on January 25, 2018 at 6:22 am

Has this ever happened to anyone: you go to your class and it’s awesome. You learn a bunch of super cool moves and you even manage to do some of them without a spot. You come home still filled with adrenaline and ready to show off your new moves but when you get on your pole you can’t do anything you learned in the studio. Either you’re too bruised in all the wrong places or your body is too exhausted but – you don’t feel tired or sore! You’re still raring to go, you’re just suddenly weak as a kitten!

I learned iguana mount to bow and arrow today and was even able to do it a few times on my own without a spot (needs a lot of cleaning up). I wanted to take a video of myself doing it tonight, but when I tried at home my muscles rebelled and I couldn’t do a damn thing. I couldn’t even pole sit. 😛 I think I’m gonna be sore tomorrow! Sounds like I need a rest day. 🙂

StrangeFox replied 6 years, 2 months ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • hookedonpole

January 25, 2018 at 6:34 am

Yup, can relate! And sometimes It’s not because I’m tired or sore, just not able to recreate what I did at a class or workshop. I let fear or doubt get in my head. I’m starting to focus on practicing more at home again and work on things from previous classes, hopefully I can get some new moves/holds. I have a short list of things from classes and hope to accomplish at least one or two things lol

• StrangeFox

January 25, 2018 at 5:27 pm

Glad I’m not the only one hookedonpole! I think I have more confidence in class where my instructor can spot me if I need it and everyone else is trying the same moves and encouraging you to do them. I always joke that the pole I use in class is somehow “magical” because I can do moves I can’t do at home. Oddly…it’s only that one pole in class, too, and I know it’s silly but I get disappointed if someone else is using it when I want to use it! XD That’s a good idea choosing one or two things to accomplish at home. I usually have a better home practice when I pick one or two things to focus on.

And I woke up this morning stiff and sore with a huge bruise on my back from iguana. I also banged my head against the pole in this move because I got really excited and wanted to see how close my feet could get to my head (not that close). It seems I turned my head to look in the mirror with a little too much enthusiasm. LOL!

• Veena

Administrator
    January 25, 2018 at 5:46 pm

The few times I’ve been to pole jams with other dancers I’ve often managed moves I wasn’t able to alone. Then when I go back home it *poof* vanishes…however it does come back when I practice. I’m guessing adrenaline plays a big part when you’re with others. We don’t want to look dumb, we try harder in front of others, we get excited and don’t overthink as much as when we are alone. I was always able to lift heaver and longer when I went to the gym until I got into my own groove of working out at home.

• allisonwonderland

January 26, 2018 at 12:59 am

I have pole at Home problems in general lol
    But are you going all out in class then going home and immediately poling again? If so, perhaps you’re just spent from working out already and your body has had too much time to cool down. It might just be too much for one day. I know once I’ve cooled down from pole on the drive home it’s almost impossible to get going again without at least a day break. Pole isn’t easy on the body- not like going for a jog or anything lol.

Maybe try again at home the next day after a rest or just take the video in your studio while you’re still warm.

• StrangeFox

January 26, 2018 at 1:41 am

Veena! You’re so right! I was always afraid to try the iguana mount at home but after seeing my classmates do it and having my instructor watching I was determined to get it! I didn’t want to look bad so I probably gave myself more of a push off of the ground with my foot than I should have and I KNOW I hooked with my foot and pulled myself up. I feel like I should be deadlifting this move, so at home I’m pretty sure I’m trying a little harder to use my abs to iguana mount. Because no one can see me fail I’m more focused on getting into a move properly rather than just getting into a move.

Allisonwonderland – yup, that’s exactly what I’m doing – haha! I’m getting in the car and driving the 45 mins home, then doing a quick warm up and hopping back on the pole. I fail 100% of the time doing this and yet …I keep doing it! I think you’re right. By that time I’ve cooled down and my muscles have finally registered that they’re exhausted and sore. I know if I try again in a couple of days I’ll be fine so I’ve just got to be patient and rest up!

• ptkells3642

January 26, 2018 at 3:15 am

I agree with everyone who has responded, and would like to add that it can be very dangerous to keep poling when very fatigued. A lot of serious injuries occur at times like that, so be careful!

• StrangeFox

January 26, 2018 at 6:55 pm

Thank you, ptkells! I’ll try and listen more to my body and maybe bring my phone to class so I can get my pics there instead of coming home and trying after I’m already tired. 🙂

• Allison Erin

January 26, 2018 at 10:50 pm

I’ve been kind of having the opposite problem, but I think it’s for the same reason. Since I’ve been following such a regimented training schedule at home, thanks to Veena’s lessons, I’ve been trying to get in the workout I know I need the afternoon before I go to pole class at the studio (once a week). I never know exactly what we’ll do in class, so I work out before to avoid messing up my schedule. But even though I eat a lot and rest for a few hours in between, my body is still often too tired to perform well once I get to class. So I’m reevaluating that strategy and trying to take it easier on class days now!

But it is so, so tough to hold back when you want to just keep going!!! I totally feel the frustration. If only there was a way to have limitless energy… I might sell my soul, lol.

• StrangeFox

January 26, 2018 at 11:38 pm

I may well sell my soul for limitless energy, too! LOL! I’m always careful to rest up maybe 1 or 2 days before class so I’m not too sore or too tired for class. If I’m learning new moves I want to be in tip top shape, and since this is my only opportunity to have a spot for a move I might be too scared to try on my own I don’t want to be too exhausted.

The worst is I’m so full of adrenaline after class I don’t even realize I’m tired. 😛