StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Calluses!!!

• Calluses!!!

Posted by Saby Loh on December 11, 2017 at 7:47 am

Hello! I have a pretty random question – how do you stop calluses from flaking?

I’ve developed pretty thick calluses on my palms (I love them. #polepride) and they protect my palms from friction on the pole. But i’ve noticed that every few months, they start to flake off, leaving the skin underneath pretty smooth (no sores). Does anyone know how I can prevent this from happening? I really hate that they flake off because it takes months for me to build them back again. I also think it makes my palms more susceptible to blisters now! 🙂

Appreciate any advise! x

grayeyes replied 6 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Lavenia Price

December 11, 2017 at 1:38 pm

I’m sorry I don’t have an answer but I am just curious, how often and how long do you pole?

The reason I ask is because I have never blistered, and I used to get callouses in the beginning but I do not anymore. Well, I get light ones every now and then but nothing like I used to.

I do know that everyone’s skin type is different but I just naively seemed to think that they got better with time. My skin type is naturally dry though so in order to stick to the pole —plus its cold here—- I find that I have to moisturize a few hours before pole or at night immediately following a bath and so maybe that has something to do with it.

I am interested to see others responses as well – happy poling ;]

• Veena

Administrator
    December 12, 2017 at 4:29 am

I never got calluses with my SV powder coated pole and yet my grip was great, it was like magic some how! I get really bad ones using my grippy brass and very light ones using chrome or TG. I try and keep lotion on my hands as much as possible after poling of course.

• grayeyes

December 14, 2017 at 11:19 pm

I was a gymnast many moons ago and got lots of calluses from bars. They would get too big and would actually tear off. As you have said keeping a little callus there can be good and protects your skin so we would essentially file/shave mdown with a pumice to keep them from getting too big, pretty much like you might do to calluses on your feet. I don’t know for sure if that will keep them from flaking off but it keeps them from tearing off.