StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Bunion surgery

• Bunion surgery

Posted by beginner2 on August 1, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Did any of you have bunion surgery on both feet and how long until you could get back to dancing? Thank you.

mellanye replied 7 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Colleen

August 14, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Yes, I had bunion surgery on one foot and then immediately the next. It took me a year to return to running. (I wasn’t a pole dancer at the time, but I’m sure it would have taken me a year for that, as well.) I hope your recovery is faster. Bunion surgery was the worst experience of my life. However, today the weight I gained while recovering is off, my muscle tone is back, and I’m back in shape. I run, pole dance, do Pilates, 30 minutes to 1 hour stretching.

• beginner2

August 14, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Thanks a lot, Colleen. And about the scars. Are they visible and did you do something with them? Going to a beauty clinic to treat the scars, something like that…

I was thinking of it many years ago and gave up after I saw the youtube clips of the surgery. Looked so scary!!!! Now I think I have enough with my ugly feet each time I go to the beach or pool. I guess I’ll do both at the same time so I only bear the thing they inject in my spine once (so I won’t feel pains during the operation). I heard someone died after this spine thing. Scary scary!!!!

• beginner2

August 14, 2016 at 4:03 pm

How many days did it take until you could walk, Colleen? I heard that someone having a back surgery could walk after a week. Thanks.

• Colleen

August 14, 2016 at 7:23 pm

DON’T DO BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. If you do, you’ll be completely dependent on help. You won’t be able to walk at all. By doing one at a time, I was able to hop on one foot when I needed to. ~~~ Each foot took about three months to heal, I believe. (It’s been awhile. So I don’t quite remember.) From start to finish, I could run again after about a year. But when I ran, I ran like a 95-year-old woman. My feet would not move nearly as fast as they used to. So I had to build up again. ~~~ As far as the scars, yes, I have a long scar on each of my feet. But I don’t let them bother me. I still get pedicures, and I still wear sandals. The scars aren’t bad enough for people to ask me, “What happened to your feet?” Plus, at 54, scars on my body show that I have lived. A body doesn’t remain perfect, anyway, due to aging. So that’s another reason why I don’t worry about the scars. ~~~ Frankly, if you don’t have to do it, don’t do it. The recovery was horrible for me. I lost all my muscle tone. I gained weight. I know now, after that experience, that I have ZERO INTEREST in being a couch potato. I did the couch potato thing when I had to due to the surgery. But NEVER AGAIN. How people can live like that all the time is beyond me. (Americans are lazy and overweight.) NO THANK YOU.

• Colleen

August 14, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Also, I don’t understand what you mean by the spine injection. I don’t remember having anything injected into my spine. They put me under to do the foot surgeries, but I don’t remember any spine injections.

• beginner2

August 14, 2016 at 10:52 pm

I had a check up with the doctor in a hospital. After the X Ray, he showed me what he would do to adjust the toe into the right direction. He also advised me to do one foot at a time and said a regular pain killer for the foot couldn’t bear the operation pain, so he would use the spine injection. But that time I just paid the doctor, staff cost and X Ray cost and didn’t take the surgery. Now a few years have passed and I decided I would do it in another hospital.

• beginner2

August 14, 2016 at 11:08 pm

Thanks for your advice but I can no longer stand my ugly feet. I will be ok to sit long until I can slowly walk again. I eat mostly whole foods and very little so currently I’m under weight. I will exercise my upper body and move the legs in possible movements during a few first months after the operation.

• beginner2

January 22, 2017 at 1:57 pm

I did it! I had an injection into my lower back spine and I felt no pain during the surgery. I will have almost normal feet like others! Yeah!

• Veena

Administrator
    January 22, 2017 at 6:26 pm

Yay, heal quickly!!! 💜

• beginner2

January 23, 2017 at 4:03 am

Thanks Veena. I will need to keep it safe at least 6 weeks until I can walk again. In the past years, each time I went to class, I always felt “They’re looking at my ugly feet” LOL. Next year I will have only the scars, no more ugly bunions. So happy!!!!

• Colleen

January 23, 2017 at 2:08 pm

Terrific! Give yourself a chance to heal and try to remember that the healing process is only temporary.

• beginner2

January 24, 2017 at 2:59 am

Thanks Colleen. I did both feet. Had to sleep on the hospital for 3 nights. The doctor said it will take 6 weeks to 2 months until I can walk again. I’m ok with anything as long as I could get rid of those bunions at the same time (big smile).

• mellanye

January 24, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Those of you that have done it, how long ago was your procedure? I ask because there are no published research studies showing the long term (5yrs+) effectiveness of the surgery. I know not all cases get published, though, so perhaps you can refute the lack of evidence! I have considered it but am instead am addressing mine through physical therapy. Thanks!!