StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Brass or titanium x pole?

• Brass or titanium x pole?

Posted by Alice in Poleland on January 15, 2017 at 8:56 am

Sorry I’m sure this has been gone over soo many times and I’ve browsed through so many old threads but I’m still incredibly confused!

I’m treating myself to a new pole 😀 I already have a 45mm chrome x pole which I do love but sometimes I struggle with grip. I live in the UK and the grip varies hugely depending on the weather and how warm the house is.

I was going to get a 40mm x pole (I have small hands and find thinner poles much better for grip), but I’m unsure whether titanium gold or brass would best suit my situation. I do tend to get sweaty hands and I sweat quite a bit during practice. What finish do you think would be best for me?! Pros and cons of both? What is the maintenance like for both?

Thank you so much in advance 😊 x

Thank you so much in advance 😊😊X

Alice in Poleland replied 7 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Alice in Poleland

January 15, 2017 at 8:57 am

Sorry didn’t mean to say thank you twice haha – can’t seem to edit this on my phone!

• Veena

Administrator
    January 16, 2017 at 5:27 am

I’ve got every type of finish and have lived in all kinds of climates and brass seems to be the finish that works the best over all and favorite size is 40mm. I LOVE my sv powder coated pole but they don’t make it any more and the xpole PC pole finish isn’t as grippy as the SV pole was so I’d say brass, TG gets slick if you live around humidity as does chrome.

• Alice in Poleland

January 16, 2017 at 7:44 am

Thanks Veena!
    Are there any cons to brass poles? I’ve read they need more cleaning/maintenance… what does this actually mean?
    As I live in the UK it’s never very humid, and the room I pole in can either be cold (during the day) or quite warm (when the heating is on in the evening). Would brass suit this best? Is the grip you get on brass more dependent on your skin type (like I said I tend to get sweaty!!)?
    Swaying more towards the brass but I keep wussing out and considering TG…!

• Veena

Administrator
    January 17, 2017 at 5:06 am

If you sweat TG gets slick so brass works better if you’re a sweater 😉 Maintaining isn’t hard, I don’t mind that mine doesn’t look super shiny, if you want to keep is super polished than it will take some effort but I don’t bother. Lol

• Phoenix Hunter

January 17, 2017 at 5:21 am

I’m sweaty, I like my brass. I clean it with alcohol , I don’t care if it’s not super shiny either. It doesn’t effect the grip if it’s not shiny. It’s just cosmetic.

• Alice in Poleland

January 17, 2017 at 7:43 am

I’m definitely a sweater haha so have gone on the waiting list for a brass x pole 😄 Yey!
    That’s so good to know because from what I’ve been reading they seem to take a lot of maintenance and that was my main concern as I’m lazy 😬 I don’t care about looks so much as how it works for me.
    Thank you both so much for your help!

• Rachel Osborne

January 17, 2017 at 3:45 pm

I was experimenting recently as the studio has brass and chrome – I found brass grippy at first but it became slick as I warmed up – pole broke a cold sweat as I broke a warm one! The more I freestyled the worse it got. Chrome needs to warm up to be grippy and I still have to wipe it down but nothing like as bad as brass which felt like it was weeping mineral oil after 3 minutes. I asked other dancers on Insta and several others said the same. So just chucking that in as it seems not everyone sticks to brass!

• Veena

Administrator
    January 17, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Tropical, are they sure it’s a brass pole? That behavior sounds like titanium gold.

• Rachel Osborne

January 19, 2017 at 11:25 am

It’s brass, ordered from X pole brand new! There are two at the studio and the others are chrome

• Alice in Poleland

January 19, 2017 at 11:39 am

Hmm weird! I spoke to a sales person at x pole and they said definitely go for brass if you want good grip, and that there wasn’t much difference between TG and chrome in terms of grip…
    I’ve gone for brass so guess I’ll just see how things go. I wish I could try a brass pole out first before buying but all the studios near me use chrome!

• Veena

Administrator
    January 19, 2017 at 3:37 pm

That’s an unusual response to brass, it sounds just like what most, myself included experience with TG. The poles smell right? Maybe there’s a build up of product on their brass? 🤔🤔

• Rachel Osborne

January 19, 2017 at 10:42 pm

They are new poles and the studio only opened in November….the teacher says they are brass – and they flex more than chrome. I dont remember a smell of brass though, will check next time.

• Rachel Osborne

January 19, 2017 at 10:44 pm

A pic if it helps

• AllysonKendal

January 20, 2017 at 3:11 am

I could be totally wrong but I don’t think the one piece studio poles come in TG, only Chrome, SS and Brass. Thats what I heard about Xpoles US, might not be true everywhere… or anywhere for that matter 🙂

• Veena

Administrator
    January 20, 2017 at 5:10 am

Oh, if it’s new maybe it wasn’t cleaned yet? Definitely let us know if it smells like brass, because it can be helpful for others to know about your experience with it! I have to use grip aid with mine unless I’m sweaty 🙂

Page 1 of 2