StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Brass Monkey entries?

• Brass Monkey entries?

Posted by dustbunny on June 22, 2017 at 5:53 pm

So it seems there have been many discussions on Brass Monkey exits but I am interested in entries. Brass Monkey has so many different ways to get into it please help me find them all.

Shouldermount
    Straight Edge (the way Veena’s lesson shows)
    Flag Press Up
    Flatline Scorpio (called Mermaid Twizzle on CRNP)

Any others?
    Is there a way to learn this from the floor ie. head, forearm or handstand variations?

Leeloo replied 6 years, 7 months ago 9 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • LatinPoler

June 22, 2017 at 6:48 pm

I’m also interested!
    There is a lesson in CRNP on how to entry from the floor, it’s call Spinning Brass Monkey. I think you need a great deal of flexibility though, I tried and I was not able to lift my extended leg high enough to hook on the pole.
    Since the floor option is not achievable for me, I think the easier way to learn is from a sit. Are you aware of any tutorial?

• dustbunny

June 22, 2017 at 7:38 pm

Just thinking…Is it possible to enter from a lay back?

• LatinPoler

June 22, 2017 at 8:46 pm

I think so. Have a look at this… no instruction though: http://www.polefreaks.com/handstand-training-brass-monkey-entries/

• MdawWat

June 23, 2017 at 12:45 am

Layback was my first entry. Love it.

Several low options. Back up the pole like a candlestick hook to brass monkey stand up. Go down as if to handstand with one hand on the pole but let leg hit pole behind the knee.

Also don’t know if you want to count the derivatives of the moves already mentioned- like instead of straight edge, handspring entry.

• LatinPoler

June 23, 2017 at 3:44 am

The candlestick option sounds doable, thanks!

• dustbunny

June 23, 2017 at 12:42 pm

Great clip Latin Poler there were a few I’ve never seen before in there!
    Thanks for the ideas MdawWat will give it a try.

• dustbunny

June 26, 2017 at 3:39 am

So I’ve been playing around with this and I came up with a few great ways to try this low if anyone is interested.

The candlestick/shoulderstand that MdawWat mentioned is a great way to practice coming up from a brass monkey into a sit but you don’t really get the feel of the move with so much of your bodyweight on the floor.
    A head stand beside the pole can also get you there with less weight on the floor than a shoulderstand but still some support from top of the head and one hand.
    I also tried the “spinning brass monkey” lesson from Cleo’s site which gets you into BM from a “downward dog” shape on the floor. Gives you the full move while still being able to reach the floor with your hands for an easy exit. ☺
    The video linked earlier also shows from a layback, from genie (which is similar to the sit entry, you lower down into it) and from the “claw grip flip” which is a common back flip move but if you hook the inside leg at the top of the flip you end up in BM.
    Thanks Veeners for the suggestions, tips and the video link. 💖😙

• Krista Bocko

June 26, 2017 at 11:46 am

https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/55c394f3-fb90-4caf-85e0-32110a9aa0eb

this is one I like and I don’t think it’s been mentioned? In the video I call it a flag invert ‘thingy’ but it’s not really. Not sure what it’s really called.

• Rachel Osborne

June 26, 2017 at 2:50 pm

I always go in from a tumble.
    I’m still weird about brass monkey, I love how it looks but it always scares me. I seem to be getting more and more scared of certain tricks and avoiding them

This vid shows my usual wayhttps://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/5744f445-2cc4-4440-ae26-0011ac110005

• AllysonKendal

June 26, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Oh my goodness Tropical! Me too! All of a sudden I feel like I’m soooooo in my head about so many moves. Even ones I used to do just fine. I don’t really know why, but I think my stress level with family and work is also at a high level these days so I think my anxiety is spilling over.

• Rachel Osborne

June 27, 2017 at 12:47 am

((Hugs)) sorry to hear of stress 🙁I might start a new thread on this because it’s bothering me and I guess it could be helpful for to talk about it – glad it’s not just me

• LatinPoler

June 27, 2017 at 1:22 am

I agree, stress plays a major role… when I was learning the cross knee release, I could only do it on my relaxed days. On stressed days, it felt terrible and I was not even confident to let go.
    Regarding BM, I also agree that the best way to learn it for first timers is from a tumble, more specifically, from a sit. I don’t get why people teach this right away from a shoulder mount, which is quite hard on its own plus not the safest way to invert…

• Veena

Administrator
    June 27, 2017 at 2:34 am

From a sit is a fun option! My concern is teaching it before someone can invert. I don’t teach the brass monkey until much later because I want dancers to be very comfortable with other inversions before attempting to hang in that position. They need to have enough experience to bail out with control and getting the leg into the POC right position can be tricky. Most beginner dancers don’t yet have the technique down to hold inverted in this position. The sit entry is a good option for those who are more advanced but are too fearful or are uninterested in working on should mounts and straight edge.

• LatinPoler

June 27, 2017 at 3:22 am

Veena, it sounds you are talking about me 😃 I can invert and I think thanks to that I could feel “comfortable” and controlled in the inverted position when I entered the BM from the sit. I’m still working on my shoulder mount, I can do it but feels meh (I am planning to do your program in August after my vacation). I totally get what you are saying and I concurr!

• AllysonKendal

June 27, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Just another side note, lever/funny grip invert to brass monkey is kind of trending these days.

https://instagram.com/p/BVxlyHBjItj/

Page 1 of 2