StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Botox for sweaty hands?

• Botox for sweaty hands?

Posted by SunnySol on June 23, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I have incredibly sweaty hands. I’ve tried every type of grip: dry hands, itac, mighty grip, liquid chalk, … the list goes on. I’ve worked on my strength to work beyond the sweat, but as I train into handspring territory, I just don’t feel safe with such slippery grip.

I’m a special case. There are some days I can’t write with a pen because my hands are so sweaty. I even sweat when it’s cold.

Has anyone ever gotten Botox for their hands to stop the sweat? Was it successful? How long did it last?

Sephira replied 7 years, 1 month ago 10 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • MeganJoan

June 23, 2014 at 6:30 pm

I strongly recommend against getting botox in your hands. I haven’t got it myself, and there’s a good reason for that.

Botox will relax/paralyze muscles. That is NOT what you want in your hands.

Give Dirty Girl Poletice a try. http://www.dirtygirlpoletice.com/
    It works like an antiperspirant so the more you use it the more effective it will be and the less you will actually need it. I’ve tried everything you mentioned as well as I also have very sweaty hands and now I use Poletice plus Dry Hands for a bit extra when I need it. I still need to wipe my hands off with metho maybe one or twice during an hour long session but I can go an entire song without having to apply anything now. It’s made a huge difference.

If you really can’t find anything that works then use gloves. I know a girls who swear by the Tight Grip full finger gloves but I’ve also seen professionals using the half finger ones. There’ll be something that will work for you whether it’s a grip aid, antiperspirant or gloves. Just stay away from the botox!

• Cherished

June 23, 2014 at 7:00 pm

I have a friend who does botox for sweating, not in the hands but here are some links:
    Doctors addressing hand injections http://www.realself.com/question/side-effects-expected-botox-sweaty-palms

Patient accounts (you’d have to comb through for hand cases) http://www.realself.com/question/side-effects-expected-botox-sweaty-palms

• Phoenix Hunter

June 23, 2014 at 10:19 pm

I’m interested in this too. I have terrible hyperhidrosis of the hands. like you, I sweat even when I’m cold. always have. always will. I haven’t had botox but am thinking about trying it. dry hands is great for about two minutes, dirty girl poletice is great on my feet does nothing for my hands. right now I am using a prescription antiperspirant called “Drysol” , this stuff is the best I’ve tried so far. it is a game changer for me. I can do so much more on the pole than ever before. mighty grip non-tack gloves work wonders for me too. if I didn’t have the drysol I would use the gloves. I would love something a little more longer lasting like botox, but I want to hear from others first…

• Phoenix Hunter

June 23, 2014 at 10:22 pm

shit, I’m reading that weakness is a side effect of botox in the hands. that sucks. 🙁

• Emikoisabella

June 24, 2014 at 10:33 pm

I’m a fellow hyperhidrosis sufferer and I feel your pain. Have you heard of iontophoresis? It’s a process where you soak your hands in water with a small electric current and it is supposed to thicken up the skin on your hands to prevent the sweat. These machines can run very expensive but I’ve been using the cheapest one called Drionic (and you don’t need a prescription to buy this one). Combing this with occasional applications of drysol at night and using tite grip + dry hands/prince grip has made a huge huge difference. Also, not sure how long you have been poling but I’ve found that with time my sweat has decreased and/or my grip strength has improved making it easier for me to grip even when I’m sweating.

I know it sucks to have sweaty hands but hang in there! You will eventually find what works for you 🙂

• Phoenix Hunter

June 25, 2014 at 12:01 am

Emiko, does the ionotophoresis eventually become permanent or is it something you use for regular maintenance? I have heard of it, but never knew anyone who tried it. Thank you for your input! 🙂

• Polefanatic678

June 25, 2014 at 3:03 am

I feel your pain.. I have hyperhydrosis as well and nothing works. I’ve tried every grip aid I can find including mighty grip, tite grip, dry hands, dirty girl poltice, rock climbing chalk, prince grip, itac, everything basically and none of them work.. Sometimes I might get 5 or 10 mins without gloves when I use tite grip but I’m still constantly wiping my hands even then.. I manage to sweat through the gloves and have to get a new pair roughly every 4 weeks.. Gloves have been the only thing that help me feel secure in handsprings as I have fallen badly before
    The dermatologist I saw said they don’t really do Botox in the hands over here anymore because it isn’t effective. It is more effective under your arms etc
    Good luck finding something.. I’m hoping to try the Drionic one day

• Emikoisabella

June 25, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Phoenix, I have to use it for regular maintenance. I usually use the machine once a week to maintain 🙂

• Might Grip

June 26, 2014 at 10:45 pm

We have had the best long term results with Dirty Girl Poletice and the use of gloves without tack.
    Nothing is 100% but this is the closest with out the pain of injections and at a reasonable cost and can last for a couple hours per application.
    Joel

• SunnySol

July 5, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Thanks everyone for the responses! After reading your info and doing a bit more research, I’ve decided not to do Botox. I’ll try Dirty Girl Poletice, but I already use mighty grip gloves (no tack) and my finger tips are still so sweaty that I slide. Also, my palms are sweaty so they slide within the gloves.

I’ve also tried the following: mighty grip, tite grip, dry hands, rock climbing chalk, prince grip, itac which haven’t worked, but I’ll give poletice a try.

I think overall, I just need to work on my strength despite my hands, and just work on having to grip a lot more than other polers.

Heads up: I tried acupuncture, too, and that didn’t work. The acupuncturist actually suggested botox. (Then again, he didn’t know that I pole dance and need the strength of my hands so much.)

Thanks again for the help, everyone!!!

• Phoenix Hunter

July 5, 2014 at 10:22 pm

I feel your pain SunnySol. if I use dirty girl poletice, I find that I still have to use dry hands. but it does make the dry hands last a lot longer. and somedays I use poletice under my gloves. it’s good to know there’s a few things out there that will help. you just have to experiment. sweaty hands suck!

• azblanco

July 6, 2014 at 1:18 pm

I love Dry Hands! But honestly, try Prince Grip. Its the same as dry hands but I find it lasts way longer and I dont have to apply it as much

• Dirty Girl POLEtice

July 7, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Ok, thought I’d chime in here for those of you with true hyperhydrosis!

In my “studies” on excessive sweating one thing I have learned is that almost all people with hyperhydrosis (and honestly almost all people in general), have a severe magnesium defiency.

When you have a mag deficit, you will sweat more, when you sweat more, you lose more mag…see the circle?

To help counteract this, I put magnesium in my product, BUT those with true hyperhydrosis must go further.

The first line of defense I always tell my super sweaters is you NEED to do magnesium soaks.

Magnesium as a supplement does not absorb well. We just can’t get as much as we need internally *There is a new mag I’ll talk about below, but haven’t tested it on sweaters*
    They estimate we only absorb about 4% of what we take internally, whether supplement or in food.

Now, if you up your mag intake with a supplement, get ready for very loose bowels. So obviously, taking too much mag isn’t necessarily the best answer.

What to do.
    Well, just so happens we absorb mag very well through our skin!

First, take a warm not hot, epsom salt bath EVERY NIGHT for 2 weeks. With 3 cups of epsoms (magnesium sulfate) in the bath. Soak for 20 minutes every single night for two weeks. You have to get your mag levels up in your blood/muscles.

After that, do nightly hand (or feet if that’s where you sweat most) soaks, about a 1/2 cup-1 cup epsom in bowl of warm water for 10-20 minutes. Until you start getting symptom relief, then you can go down to a couple of times a week to keep your mag levels up in your tissues.

What this does is gets the magnesium into your system, but it also calms the overactive sweat glands.

Now, with that in mined, if you are sensitive to sulfas (like sulfa antibiotics, or sulfa in foods) like I am, then you do not want magnesium sulfate (epsom) what you want is magnesium CHLORIDE. They are also called magnesium flakes. More expensive, but if you have a sensitivity or allergy, then you need to go this route. Some people have better luck with the mag flakes.

Also, you can make lotion with epsom or mag flakes. I personally just boil some water, put in the magnesium to dissolve and mix with a moisturizing cream of my choice. Sometimes it’s a store bought cream, sometimes it’s coconut oil, sometimes I just mix it with my lotion and have a runnier lotion. That way, when I lotion up my body, I get that magnesium into my skin.

Now, back the * from above about magnesium supplements. There has been a recent development at MIT with a new type of mag, called magnesium l-threonate. aka Magtein.

It’s is the most absorb-able form of mag you can get, upwards of the 70-80%! I don’t sweat too bad, so it’s hard to say if this one affects sweat, but it is the only one to cross the blood brain barrier. My ADHD symptoms and fogginess have gone WAY down since starting. As has my hand puffiness in the morning and fibromyalgia pain. I personally get the Lifesource magtein cause it is the cheapest and has less fillers and other stuff, also has a good therapeutic dose. The main ingredient all comes from one manufacturer, so go for the cheapest. BUT, again, I have not tested this on sweaters so I don’t know how it will affect that, it would be great if someone tried it though!

Sorry this was so long, just wanted to make sure you got the info!

• Dirty Girl POLEtice

July 7, 2014 at 7:52 pm

OH, also, I want to add, those that excessivly sweat all over, please please please go get your thyroid checked!! You’d be surprised to find that many that sweat excessively also have thyroid issues! Make sure they test for all the antibodies, not just the basic first round tests.

• Sephira

March 22, 2017 at 8:11 am

Hello,
    do you think pole sleeves could fix the sweaty hands problem? I also have tried anything, and even i start practizing I slip down down the pole, I do acrobatics so it isn ‘t strenght issue. I am getting into a move and before it ends in few seconds I risck severe fall down. It is a nightmere. I am just happy I am not the only abnormal one here. The only pole that felt a bit safer ever was brass pole. Right now I have stainless steel r-pole taht for all rest is great, and I have chrome x-pole too. No big difference.Any kind of grip aid, even anti transpirant doesn’t work for more than 2minutes, sometimes not even….