StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Black Face in Pole? Really… is this what we’re doing?

• Black Face in Pole? Really… is this what we’re doing?

Posted by emmasculator on March 26, 2018 at 6:32 pm

I”m going to keep this brief, because I’m pissed. It’s 2018. I thought people were better than this, especially in our community. POSA hosted a competition in early march during which one of the group performances featured a dancer in blackface. Not only did the competition condone this “costuming”, they sat through practices runs of it, applauded the actual performance, and then in their infinite wisdom scored this disrespectful mess. I’m not sure what’s more despicable, the fact that this display was allowed or the competitor’s initial tone deaf response (which I have attached below). My skin color is NOT a costume that you can slip in and out of as you please, and I am shocked and appalled that an entire organization failed to grasp that. They did issue an after the fact “apology” a week later (https://www.posaworld.org/official-response-to-blackface-on-pole-art-worlds/) (https://www.instagram.com/p/BgjEu6TAuwx/), but I would like to think that as adults, they would know better. Shame.

emmasculator replied 6 years ago 6 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • taelyrgainz

March 26, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Yeah, this is a hot mess

• chinkycherry85

March 27, 2018 at 1:29 am

This is not ok!!

• Cherished

March 27, 2018 at 10:57 am

Yeah I read the apology they really don’t get it smh 🙁 It had the typical “some of my best friends are black” cliches as well as minimizing the incident to being offensive only depending on someone’s perception which is an insult in itself.
    They think it’s a cultural misunderstanding and seemed genuinely clueless to the amount of discrimination that exists against black people and is often overlooked in their country or how their behaviour is a symptom of a much bigger problem in their environment.

• emmasculator

March 27, 2018 at 5:23 pm

I agree. It all seems pretty tone deaf to me. I really just do not understand it. And this is one of the organizations who is pushing to have pole as an olympic sport….well I got news for you, if one of your competitors pulled that crap during the Olympics, the sport itself and you would be in big trouble. The fact that they refer to themselves as a “world organization” and then allow something like this to happen is beyond troubling.

• 33barbwire

March 30, 2018 at 8:18 pm

YIKES I cannot BELIEVE they thought this was ok to do! And that no one in POSA leadership spoke up? And yeah, anything that’s like “I’m sorry you got offended” isn’t a real apology. Honestly, I hope it’s hard for this person to get into any other competitions if they’ll pull shit like this.

• Colleen Larson

April 1, 2018 at 2:53 am

I’m a BLACK pole dancer who loves my black skin. It’s healthy, and at 55 I have few wrinkles. ~~~ That pole dancer painted her face brown to dress up like Whoopi Goldberg in “Sister Act.” That’s considered “offensive.” But if I were to dress up like a WHITE PERSON, that’s NOT offensive? That’s okay to all of you, right? I want you to think about that. ~~~ I was not offended by what that dancer did, and don’t assume ALL black dancers would be offended. (Some of us are independent thinkers.) I don’t know that dancer, but I don’t believe that dancer had any nefarious motives to her costume. I think she was just wearing a costume, and that’s it, particularly since I’m assuming she’s not even American. (I’ve traveled all over the world. Not every culture is thinking the way Americans think.) But let’s say she did have nefarious motives. I’M NOT A VICTIM. I don’t CARE who’s a racist and who is not. Her being a racist or her not being a racist doesn’t have a DAMN THING to do with the way I feel about myself as a proud black woman.

• emmasculator

April 1, 2018 at 3:08 am

…calling something you seem inappropriate does not make you a victim. I too am I proud black woman and not a victim. We have that in common. Good for you not being offended. I happen to be, because I don’t see my skin color as a costume. I would be offended if it were another race as well, because making a caricature of someone’s ethnicity to me is not cool.I also don’t think it’s appropriate that an organization that uses title such as world would do something that so many would perceive as disrespectful. To me it’s distasteful. You have the right not to care just as I and many others have the right to care and call it out.

• Colleen Larson

April 1, 2018 at 3:49 am

Emmasculator, I believe in FREEDOM OF SPEECH. So, I ABSOLUTELY believe that you and others have the right to care and to call it out, and I have the right not to care and to state my reasons why. (And if dancers are reading this who are afraid to state that an opinion that is not shared by the majority here, I understand. I’ve always been fearless and outspoken, and not everyone is.)

• emmasculator

April 1, 2018 at 4:06 am

That’s great that you feel that way. I think it’s important to have these discussion and for people to feel comfortable expressing their opinions. We learn from diversity and from diversity in opinions. But I just don’t see the connection between saying “Oh hey this is inappropriate” and being a victim. Or saying “I don’t like this” and not being an independent thinker. I understand encouraging people to express their dissenting opinions, but insinuating that finding something offensive makes you a victim or a drone type thinking actually does more to stymy the discussion.
    I too have traveled the world and even have citizenship in multiple countries, and while I do agree that there are cultural differences, for me some things are basic decency that transcend geographic boundaries. I did a routine where I played Mulan, and I decided not to paint on slanted eyes or paint my skin white for the routine, because it wasn’t necessary and that would be wildly inappropriate. But to each their own. Like I said before, you have the right to not be bothered at all, but it is completely acceptable for others to not like POSA or the dancer’s actions.

• Colleen Larson

April 1, 2018 at 1:30 pm

And . . . you’re insinuating that my opinion is not welcome because it doesn’t match with everyone else’s and, therefore, hinders the discussion. If you’re genuinely not interested in opposing views, you should have said so when you started this thread. You’re either for a discussion that welcomes all points of view, or you’re not. You can’t have it both ways.

• emmasculator

April 1, 2018 at 4:31 pm

Oh not at all actually.I never once said your opinion was unwelcome. Quite the opposite actually. Maybe you should reread my response. Didn’t you read the first part when I said it’s good to have these discussion and diversity in opinion is a great thing? I was just saying that it hinders discussion when, as you insinuated in your first response, that someone calling something out about race makes them a victim, not an independent thinker, or not a proud black woman.

• emmasculator

April 1, 2018 at 4:35 pm

Yup. Just reread my response too! Never once said your opinion was not welcome. Really not sure where you got that from.