StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Best pole finish for cold-natured, dry-skinned beginner?

• Best pole finish for cold-natured, dry-skinned beginner?

Posted by Emilywellsperritt on November 27, 2016 at 3:46 am

With no experience and insufficient research, I purchased a chrome X-Pole for my first home pole. It’s slippery as all get-out, and I’m thinking about replacing it as soon as I can afford to do so. I believe the poles in the studio where I take lessons are stainless steel, and those are much easier for me to grip. I see there was a discussion here in 2010, but I wondered if anyone could give me advice on the best finish for me based on recent experience.

Emilywellsperritt replied 7 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Veena

Administrator
    November 27, 2016 at 4:30 am

Beforever you invest more money on a new pole try using a combo of anduring mighty grip! I’ve got cold legs and don’t sweat much and this mix allows me to use any finish even when the pole is cold! Here’s a video I made https://youtu.be/jgvvc2uvcFw

• Emilywellsperritt

November 27, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Thank you so much, Veena! I have Mighty Grip, but need to get some . I’ll order some and try this immediately. I am always cold, even in summer, and my hands and feet never sweat, not even in hot yoga, so this should be a great help!

• AllysonKendal

November 27, 2016 at 3:14 pm

Your heading describes me as well. I love love love the stainless at the studio… but those are platinum stages poles. I’m not sure but I’ve heard through the grapevine that the xpole stainless is very very slippery.

My first pole didn’t spin and it was a chrome xpole. When I upgraded to a spin pole I picked titanium gold. I like it a lot more than chrome, but not as much as the studio poles. It seems to warm up so much faster than the chrome. And it stays warm if I take a 5 minute break (my chrome didn’t hold heat well at all).

Brass is always an option but personally I find that it pulls on my skin way too much. It hurts!!! When I was used to them (because that’s all my studio used to have) I got used to it. But now that they put some stainless poles up it’s hard for me to go back to the brass.

It’s hard to find the perfect finish. But I have to say a lot of it has to do with warming the pole up.

I got the xpole pole warmer and I put it on 20min or so before I pole and that really helps.

• LatinPoler

November 27, 2016 at 5:34 pm

I think chrome is the standar for competitions, so maybe that’s something to keep in mind if that is your goal. I have chrome and dry skin and yes, it’s slippery at first. I use Dew Pole Ultra in Winter and Medium in Summer, plus iTac or PoleMamas on contact points. Mighty grip doesn’t work for me, but every body is different. I tried Firm Grip once and that was too much grip for me, but I know girls that love it. To warm up my pole, I just climb to the top and slide down slowly three or four times and that makes the trick. It’s also a good warm up for yourself 😉

• AllysonKendal

November 27, 2016 at 5:49 pm

I think competition poles depend on the sponsorship. The ones sponsored by lupit (like uspdf) or platinum stages both use stainless (I’m pretty sure neither has a chrome option) I’m not sure if xpole uses chrome or stainless in their competition poles… however many people are allergic to chrome, so it’s possible that they use stainless as well 🙂

I agree though, warming yourself and the pole is key. And you might need to play around with different grip aids for different seasons. Also using a glycerin based lotion before bed keeps your skin from drying out too much but isn’t greasy.

• Emilywellsperritt

November 28, 2016 at 3:04 am

Great advice, ladies, and I’ll take it! I have been eyeing the titanium gold pole, but first I’ll continue to experiment with grip aids, including Veena’s combo, and buy a pole warmer!😊