StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Ayesha help!

• Ayesha help!

Posted by Rock n pole on May 25, 2018 at 1:25 pm

Hey everyone, I’m struggling to stay in eyesha (not the elbow grip, sorry not sure what to call the hand grip)

I can invert and get into ayesha perfectly but one second after I’m in position I come down!

Been trying it for three months now.

is it the balance you have to get used to? Or arm strength? can’t upload pic but I’m sure I’m in the correct position

Just wondering if anyone else struggled with this or if I just can’t do it. Thanks! x

Veena replied 5 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Lydia Addams

May 26, 2018 at 12:43 am

I have the same issue! For me, I think it is finding and keeping the balance after the invert. The second my body shifts it’s over and I come back down. I also can’t do an Ayesha from inverted crucifix. I don’t trust my grip to hold me after my hands get a little sweaty (likely from nerves). It’s hard to find the sweet spot. If you don’t have my hand issue, try doing D pose first. So your hands are in split grip and your booty is away from the pole but your feet are still on it. If you can find center there, you should be able to progress to opening your V.

• StrangeFox

May 26, 2018 at 5:43 pm

Uhm…can we start a club? I’m having the same problem with split grip ayesha. For me it’s about keeping my shoulders even. I keep tilting out of this move just seconds after I get secure. I can post a video and you can tell me if you’re having the same problem. I don’t know whether it’s a strength issue (core, or arm), or if it’s technique based. I think I was in the sweet spot once and it was 100% my instructor that positioned me there and made sure I was “stacked” enough to hold it. I’ve been chasing that balance for a while now and I’m getting close. What seems to help me is keeping the shoulder of the top arm (the “pulling” arm) engaged and keeping my top shoulder in line with the pole.

I can’t do ayesha from inverted D. It’s caterpillar all the way for me, but I’d like to learn it from inverted D ’cause in caterpillar I struggle to get far enough away from the pole.

Sorry I can’t be of much more help. If I figure anything out I’ll be sure to report back here. I’m getting closer to being able to hold it for longer, but I don’t have nearly as much control as I want.

• emmasculator

May 26, 2018 at 6:33 pm

Geometry is super important in an ayesha. You really have to make sure everything is stacked correctly and that you’re an appropriate distance away from the pole. Ideally you should be making a triangle shape from the lower hand to your bum and your legs (see photo), that way you can support your body when your trunk is away from the pole. Also really engage the core and make sure you are not arching your back as that will make the move feel unstable.

• StrangeFox

June 9, 2018 at 4:08 am

As per my promise, I have figured something out and I have returned with tips! This really helped me so I hope it helps you. 🙂

(Note: I’m working on split grip ayesha – it may be different for elbow and forearm grips). I enter from caterpillar, and before I go into this move I make sure I have a solid grip on the pole between my knees so I’m not flopping around.

1) Pull with your top hand – even more than you think you need to. Squeeze the pole with your hand and pretend like you’re trying to pull the pole out of the ceiling and drive it into the ground.

2) Curve your side body ever so slightly so that you’re tilting your hips towards the pulling arm. If you check out Veena’s video here on the split grip ayesha, you’ll notice her torso has a very gentle curve in it. If you don’t have the lessons, look up images of other polers doing ayesha and pay close attention to their torso. If you find a picture of someone from the front or back you should be able to see it. Understanding this really helped me “get” the core engagement necessary to balance in this move instead of immediately cartwheeling out of it.

3) Point your toes towards the ground and contract your quads so your legs are straight. If your legs are bent or your toes are pointing upwards this move is so much harder to balance in. Keeping your lines straight means keeping your limbs predictable, which makes them much easier to manage.

Last night I was able to hold my ayesha for what felt like forever and I got to decide when I exited the move instead of falling out of it! 😀 Not sure if this helps at all but best of luck!

• Veena

Administrator
    June 12, 2018 at 4:52 pm

One of the more common mistakes I see is a dancer relying more on HANGING from the top arm instead of ACTIVELY pulling with the top arm. If you only hang, then you don’t have the stability of both arms working, instead you have to fight really hard with the bottom hand to keep you up making finding balance and squaring the body almost impossible! I think this is why some prefer the Twisted grip because you can get away with hanging from the top arm and you don’t have to be as active! I teach it from a split grip, not twisted.

Strong caterpillars are super helpful and making sure you don’t pop the legs out too fast is also key. If you take a look at the lesson you’ll see I suggest you stay tucked and open from that point!

Work on the related lessons show in this video as well. https://www.studioveena.com/lessons/view/4d10f457-834c-45b0-8448-3b550ac37250

Good luck!