StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Are you over 40 and up a pole? Check in here :)

• Are you over 40 and up a pole? Check in here :)

Posted by Rachel Osborne on April 16, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Just wanting to touch base with anyone over 40 and a poler.

Me, restarted pole aged 42 after 4-5 years off. Had baby at nearly 40, put on weight during pregnancy and finally lost the weight 2 years later. Restarted pole and loved it! But found back flexibility, turn out, splits all very different to pre-pregnancy days and it’s much easier to over-train. Crunch, click, ache! On the plus side my strength is better and my body awareness is higher – plus I’m just so happy I can still do this!

Anyone else want to share if they’re poling in the prime of life (cough) and how it feels?

And when did you take up pole?

ladyclay replied 6 years ago 102 Members · 131 Replies
  • 131 Replies
  • grayeyes

April 16, 2014 at 8:25 pm

There are quite a few of us poling in the prime of life. I just started in July 2013 at age 44. I’ll be 45 next month. I absolutely love it. My only regret is that I did do it when I was younger and my body would have been more cooperative–mainly my flexibility. For the life of me I cannot figure out when my back turned into a solid non-bendable surface! I used to do gymnastics and loved to stretch in a back bend. Now I suffer a ridiculous fear of going over in a handstand because I’m afraid I’ll land flat on my back since it seems to have zero arch now.

• Legs4Days

April 16, 2014 at 8:47 pm

I am 53 and became interested the first time at age 50..stopped then started again. It’s a challenge for me and makes my arms look nice…at least that is what I am told!! Great overall workout and I wish I had started sooner but one of my teachers is in her late sixties.

• WebJunk

April 16, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I remember being 42! I started decades ago but got more involved in work and other things in life.
    Got back into it a couple of years ago when it came up in conversation at the gym and being I still had a pole, agreed to show them what I knew, as limited as it is. They then wanted to learn more and so did I. I think it helps to have other people to inspire oneself. That is what is good about this website.

• Saphyre

April 16, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I am 49 and started when I was 47. I wish I had started sooner, but I am amazed at what my body can do!!! You CAN teach an old dog new tricks, lol. I find that I must take breaks to keep my body from getting overstrained, but that does not hold me back at all. I will keep on poling and stretching and bending as long as I possibly can.

• Slkysmth

April 16, 2014 at 9:58 pm

I am 40 almost 41. I started poling about a year ago. I was already strong enough to pole due to being very physically active, however, I am not as flexible as I would like to be so there lies my challenge with pole. I do find my joints get a little extra achy but that seems to happen when I weight train heavy too. I love seeing women of my age poling. It make me happy! Thanx for sharing!

• Rachel Osborne

April 16, 2014 at 10:48 pm

High-fives fellow 40+ polers!
    It is great isn’t it?
    I never thought I’d be upside down in booty shorts at 43 but so glad I am!

• AliPali

April 17, 2014 at 3:01 am

I am 45 and have been poling for three years now. I have no dance background, was hopeless at sports at school and as a young child struggled with handstands etc. I love pole and train 4 x a week. I nearly have the front splits now and am totally addicted to the feel good factor i get when I finally nail a new trick or spin. I have also gained a confidence about my body which I never had. Putting shorts and a cropped top on and more concerned about whether I’m going to get that trick today that I have been working on for the last 6 months then omg look at my cellulite. My only fear is getting that dreaded injury that might take months to heal, so sooooo important that you listen to your body, when it’s saying rest, you must rest! This sounds so corny but pole really has given me a new lease of life and really now is my sunshine on a rainy day! Happy poling!!

• Autumn Sky

April 17, 2014 at 7:35 am

I turned 45 last week and have been poling for 2 years. I have always been naturally flexible so this was a blessing in pole. When I started I could do a split on my right side but not my left, now I can do it on both sides. I love how it has changed my body( especially my abs). I love what it has done to my confidence level too!

I too try to be extra careful to avoid injury , I go to an awesome studio where safety is a top priority. Sometimes though it’s hard to tell what is sore from working out, and what is sore because of natural aging. I am in denial on aging so I blame all aches and pains on pole(lol).

• yrngrl

April 17, 2014 at 7:50 am

I’m 40. I started pole a year ago, and am thrilled to be in the best shape of my life (I have abs at last!) I love the feeling of accomplishment from getting a new trick, and for someone who was overweight and sedentary almost my whole adult life, I’m constantly amazed by what I am capable of.

• chemgoddess1

April 17, 2014 at 8:19 am

45 here!

• Legs4Days

April 17, 2014 at 9:57 am

I am clicking on everyone’s pics and u gals do NOT look your age!

• RanPolaHolic

April 17, 2014 at 10:49 am

I am 40. I started pole dance 2 years ago, seven months after the birth of my daughter. I love it!! I am stronger and more flexible than ever! The problem is that due to family responsibilities there isn’t enough time to work out, and my progress is rather slow but I don’t give up.

• Polebull

April 17, 2014 at 11:43 am

I’m 46 and gave been poling die about a year. I love it! My flexibility has improve tenfold since I started. I’m hoping to compete at some point 🙂

• Sieira

April 17, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I started when I was 41..im 42 now so about 7 months love it! I was NEVERRRRR flexible in any way slowly but surly I’m getting better. It’s sooo great to be at a studio that’s so encouraging 🙂 I have a pole at home now also. I do notice more achs and pains but it’s worth it! I do have a lil more fear then the younger girls, but the more I trust my body the stronger I get. Wish I started younger too lol

• lisakm

April 17, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I started last year at 47. Had been into flying trapeze for a few years in my early 40s, but had to give that up when household finances declined. Loved pole class from day 1 — much more affordable than trapeze, and just as challenging and exciting. AND something that was actually possible to practice at home — didn’t have that with flying trapeze! Like others have said, I wish this was something I had gotten into when young, but I’m thrilled to be doing it now.

Page 1 of 9