StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Anyone working 12h shifts? How and when do you train?

• Anyone working 12h shifts? How and when do you train?

Posted by w0nderland on April 1, 2017 at 4:10 am

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone of you actually works on 12h shifts? And if so how often and how long do you practice after such a long work day?
    I am working 7 days 12h and ever other week I have free.
    I was used to be really active and loved to do sport, but currently its impossible to motivate myself.
    After a day at work I am mentally exhausted but not physically and I know that it would be good for me to move my body as I just sit at work but currently I just cant motivated myself.

Is anyone in a similar situation? Do you still practice after a 12h work day and how do you motivate yourself ;)?

w0nderland replied 7 years ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • polegramma

April 1, 2017 at 5:04 am

Try working out before you go to work. That’s the only way I can manage with my work schedule. Also be sure you are getting enough sleep; easy to say, hard to do sometimes. But enough sleep really makes a difference. It also helps me to be really organized by making most of my meals in advance, so I spend Sunday afternoon putting together my breakfasts, lunches and dinners for the whole week. Then I just have to heat them up, or if it’s salads they don’t even have to be heated. This has saved me so much time over the years.

• w0nderland

April 3, 2017 at 4:41 am

Thank you for your answer.
    I will give it a try to work out before I have to leave for work. But to be honest I think it will be even harder for me to find motivation for it.
    I am not a morning person at all and that means I have to get up even earlier. hehe

• Sarah Brace

April 3, 2017 at 9:53 pm

Whalen I worked long hours, I would do the unthinkable & begin a workout the moment I got back, it surprised me how good felt & also how much energy it gave me. Life always feels better after getting yourself on the move.

• Sarah Brace

April 3, 2017 at 9:54 pm

*meant to say ‘when’ no idea who or what “Whalen” is 😉

• Veena

Administrator
    April 3, 2017 at 11:36 pm

I have never liked getting up in the morning but If it’s something you really want you’ll find the motivation and a way to make it work. Otherwise pole can just be a fun thing you do when you have time. Nothing wrong with that either! As a fellow morning hater, I’d say that Silver Sylph’s suggesting is good, just get to it right away. Then crash!

You could also keep your heavy training days to the week you have off then the 7 day 12 hr weeks just fit in 2-3 sessions to keep things in check. Use any of the routines, these are fast and you wont have to think!

• Wibberoo

April 5, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Could you get home and do some lighter yoga/flexibility training when you get back in your working week and then on your week off focus more on strength building and pole?

• Goat on a Pole

April 5, 2017 at 9:18 pm

I work 12 hour shifts! It’s a blessing and a curse, because that doesn’t include my commute times and everything else going on. What I’ve been trying to do is do super light yoga/non-pole workouts (fitness blender, or the conditioning routines Veena has) on a few of my 12s (not all of them, when I work 5 in a row I try and do like 2 of those) and then on my days off do more intense pole workouts and do more intense flexibility training after my pole workouts when I’m nice and warm. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Solidarity !! I’ve been meaning to do Veena’s #svaprilabs2 but I just finished with 5 12hr days, I have one day off (today – and I have an in person pole class) and then I have 2 more 12hr shifts. We’ll see what happens.

• w0nderland

April 6, 2017 at 8:09 am

Thank you so much for all your answers.
    This 12h shifts are very tough on my especially because I always work during the night and it really messes with my body. I am out of house for 13h to 14h so I am at home for 11h on a good day, but if I want to get 8h of sleep there are only 4h left for me. But in this 3-4h I also have to get ready for bed/work, eat something and take a shower.

I just made me a small workout plan for this month – for April I will just try to take it easy. Just 2 short strechting session on my work weeks and on my free week I am going to do 3 days short but intens conditioniong training.
    I will see how it goes and will adjust it for next month.