StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Anyone got any good conditioning exercises for the over the shoulder split and apprentice?

• Anyone got any good conditioning exercises for the over the shoulder split and apprentice?

Posted by StrangeFox on March 4, 2018 at 10:04 pm

I’m trying to learn the over the shoulder split. I can get my leg over my shoulder but I cannot extend it without help. As long as someone else straightens my leg I can do it, but I cannot straighten my own leg to save my life.

It’s the same for the split grip invert/apprentice. If my leg is already hooked on the pole (ie. doing it aerially from a gemini first), or if someone lifts my leg to the pole so I can hook my ankle, I’m OK, but I cannot lift my own leg high enough to hook my ankle on the pole.

Since having other people manipulate me into moves is probably not a good long term solution, I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on conditioning/stretches for these moves? Any help would be much appreciated. 🙂

StrangeFox replied 6 years ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • LatinPoler

March 4, 2018 at 11:14 pm

Sounds like a leg strength thing… work on active flexibility and lower body strength. Veena’s lower body routines can help.

• StrangeFox

March 5, 2018 at 12:51 am

Good idea! Don’t know why but I didn’t even think of the lower body routines! 🙂 I still run regularly but I don’t think that’s as efficient at building lower body strength. Plus, my body is pretty used to running.

• dustbunny

March 6, 2018 at 4:12 am

Active flexibility is what it sounds like you need. Running is great for overall lower body strength but it’s not building strength in the specific movements you want.
    Try this one. Sit in your straddle with pointed toes, activate your quads to lock your legs straight. Place a yoga block, water bottle or other obstacle next to and in front of your foot. Lift the leg while maintaining straight legs and move it over the obstacle without knocking it over. Put the foot back on the floor as lightly as possible (don’t just let go of your muscles and let it drop, stay active throughout) You can use multiple items and hop the leg all the way to a pike and back. Try one leg at a time or both together for a bigger challenge! The taller the obstacle the harder it is!

• StrangeFox

March 8, 2018 at 3:58 am

Thanks dustbunny! Yeah…that leg lifting exercise just about killed my legs! lol! I think it highlighted where I’m weak and it seems super effective. I’m def. going to work on this and report back. Fingers crossed!

• LatinPoler

March 8, 2018 at 4:30 am

The exercise that dustbunny is suggesting sounds very helpful. It will help you with the front of the leg strength mainly I think. For back of legs (hamstrings and butt) I recommend downward dog leg lifts and rainbows (lift the leg up, draw a rainbow out, tap the flor, reverse).

• StrangeFox

March 9, 2018 at 1:05 am

Thanks LatinPoler! Yeah…my glutes are pretty weak, too! I’ll add that to my leg conditioning, too! 🙂