Dress Code in a Pole Studio?

Cara Christina
Hello Veeners,

I need some perspective. I teach at a studio that has a strong emphasis on the fitness side of pole. One of the owners has recently proposed a "dress code" for the studio. It will basically limit what types of shorts and such can be worn. Even the bad Kitty brazil shorts will be off-limits. The stated reason is so that people coming into class feel comfortable and don't think these are all "stripper classes". I, and some other instructors, are uncomfortable with the idea of a dress code. I'm wondering if any other studios have something like this and what your experience has been. I'm uncomfortable with this idea because I think it goes too far.

While some people may be more comfortable, other people are going to quickly become uncomfortable when I ask them to wear more clothes next time. Personally, I think people should be able to wear whatever they want. If someone want to wear a bur-qua to my class, good for them. If someone else wants to wear underwear, what-evs, I got no problem. IMO, there're already too many messages making women feel ashamed of their bodies. As if our bodies are something dirty that needs to be covered and hidden. I understand that this is a business and I respect the owner's right to run her business as she wants to but I don't think I want to be a part of shaming women for their bodies.

Am I totally over-reacting?
Dec 9, 2013
SunshineKonigin
I agree 100% Cara!!!!! You're right!!!! People who have a problem with that usually don't take pole dancing anyway. The only exception that I have at my studio is recital time. I simply ask the ladies to do a vagina monster test for showcase shorts. My studio is more athletically oriented as well and I prefer that we do not have vaginas showing at the family welcome style recital. I also ask that they wear pasties if there's any chance that the top could fall off just in case. In addition, I also ask that people save the super ronchy, crazy, un-tasteful sexy moves for personal use and refrain from doing those at the showcase because we have children, grandmas, dads, and it's a family event. At the studio it's a different story. Wear what you you like there and be as sexy as you want. It's only when we invite in outsiders for a recital event that I advertise as appropriate to bring children that it becomes addressed. Even then they can wear whatever style shorts they want, I just ask that they make sure what's under the shorts does not show through. Usually doubling up or wearing a "safety" pair of extra underwear will solve that issue.
Dec 9, 2013 from Berea, Ohio, United States
Runemist34 Previous Paid Member
I think it's sort of a hard conversation to have... especially when it comes to pole dancing. A lot of people don't like to think about, or point to the "stripper" side of things, or the roots of where pole dancing has come from, and they try very hard to get away from that. It can also stem from a lot of fear or rejection, because some of us still get the "Oh, so you're a stripper now?" kind of reaction from the people we tell.
However, you could also make an excellent argument that people's bodies are built differently- I may not need to wear super short shorts to get the grip I need from some moves, where someone else may actually need the kind of grip they get from their lower bum area, thus needing shorter shorts than I do. When getting into more advanced moves, it becomes very important to wear less clothing. Have they also considered the fact that, as a larger chested woman, I cannot find a top that shows my belly and fits my boobs? I'm sure there are a lot of women like me. I would basically have to come in a bikini top, or perhaps sew my own tops (not an option for many people), or just wear my bra.
Besides, you could be fully clothed, and still look like a "stripper" when you dance, due to the way you dance, and the things you're doing with your face and hands. You could look totally athletic while also actively removing clothing, or wearing nothing at all. One could argue that our much-loved platform shoes are too "stripper-ish," and ban those, even though a lot of women love the look of them, not for sexual reasons, but for how they make our legs look, how tall we feel wearing them, and their fantastic designs.

Like I said, it's not an easy thing to discuss, but I think you also bring up some excellent points about what women's empowerment can mean for a lot of people (as in, for some of us, it's connecting to our sensuality), and what it means to feel shame around our bodies, and try to cover them up.
I think it's an important conversation to have, and that Pole as a community and as a hobby is really challenging a lot of the previous notions around women, their bodies, and their strength, in all ways- physically, mentally, sexually. It all depends on what you're looking for, and what you need.
Dec 9, 2013 from Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Jacki C
I wouldn't like it either. Personally I think it's a bad idea to have a "dress code." People who have never been to a studio tend to dress like everyone else in the studio over time. Kinda like a "When in Rome" thing. In my experience, it is the instructor who sets the code through what she wears. Most people won't wear less than the instructor. My first studio used to have "sexy days" where we could wear heels and suggestive attire (for lack of a better word) but we never had a problem with someone standing out through lack of dress. I wonder what brought this on? Comments from outside the poling community? From your post it doesn't sound like it's an issue of women coming to class and poling in pasties and thongs. Anyway, the "dress code" would seem to single out people who are wearing (what I would think) is perfectly acceptable attire. As someone who was raised to never be ashamed of their body and that body parts are just body parts it seems rather unaccepting and like you said, shaming. If I had my own studio this is not what I would do. I also think it would bother me if I was teaching or most importantly, a paying student.
Dec 9, 2013 from Walla Walla, Washington, United States
Cara Christina
Thanks, ladies. Sunshine--I totally agree about the recital rules! I'd never have a problem with something like that. Runemist, sadly the shoes have already been called into question. I'm not supposed to post any pictures of myself in the studio with them on. :( Jackie, you are right, no one is wearing thongs to class now or anything like that. I'm honestly not sure what the driver is. This owner has always been very conservative about anything that sends a message other than fitness (which is a whole other thing but kind of beyond the scope of this discussion). I guess this is just the next step in that progression. I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond. I don't want to create drama or be in any way antagonistic. But as an instructor, you kind of represent the studio and I can't enforce a policy with which I so strongly disagree. I have the option to quietly leave if she decides to go through with this. There are many other studios in the area and this is a hobby and not a source of income for me. It makes me sad though. Keeping my fingers crossed for a more favorable outcome for everyone.
Dec 9, 2013
Kobajo84
I have to agree with the owner on this one. I think instructors should look professional and dress in a manner that is considered modest for pole- i.e. leave the sports bras and booty shorts for the advanced levels but wear shorts that cover gluteal folds and tank tops to cover your torso for the main classes. I think this should only be something enforced towards the staff though. And if there is a dress code, that if the studio is enforcing it they should also be providing their instructors with the attire they feel is appropriate for their instructors to wear. You are representing the studio in your classes and teaching for their business. They have a business to protect and an image they want portrayed for a professional establishment. Unfortunately we don't come from a world where society views pole dancing as "just another fitness activity." Because of this, when pole and business mix the logical solution is to make changes that will inevitably center around what is perceived to be best for business. I've worked in 3 studios now as a pole instructor and now own my own pole studio. A former studio is where I learned that one of the reasons women admitted they would not return to another pole class was because they were intimidated by the attire their instructor was wearing. They felt they had to mimic their instructor's wardrobe and were too self conscious to show the amount of skin they felt was the norm in classes. Students look to their instructors as role models. This is something I have experienced. If I'm wearing leg warms frequently to my classes, you bet my entire following will start showing up with leg warmers. I think we don't realize the impact we have on our students so it only makes sense the owner is looking out for whats best for her business. I do however feel there is a place and a time for scantily clad attire and maybe there needs to be sexy themed classes that embrace the attire we all know and love.
Dec 9, 2013 from Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Smarty Prance
You all bring up really great points. But it's worth noting that the US Pole Dance Federation and the International Pole Sports Federation among many other national and international competitions have very specific rules and regulations when it comes to attire. For Example:
"The top:
• Must fully cover the breast area for women and show no added or unnecessary cleavage.
• Costume for women should include no less than a crop top with a strap size of no less than twenty (20)millimetres in width. A neckline of no lower the than eighty (80) millimetres from the collarbone. • Vest, crop top or topless if preferred for men. If performing topless the athlete must start topless.
The cut of the bottoms must not be higher than the fold of the crotch in front and must fully cover the buttocks (rear) in back.• Shorts should be no less than sports shorts, leotards or sports knickers that are appropriate attire for competitive sports. Shorts and sports knickers should not
be lower than eighty (80) millimetres from the navel.• Men’s shorts cover the gluteal crease all the way across."

It's even difficult for me to explain to my friends and husbands how awesome pole dancing is when for every one or two killer pole videos there are, there are 10 inappropriate on Youtube that I wouldn't want my hubby looking at.

Bottom line: It's not about body shaming. It's just really hard to convince girls and guys that pole dancing is a dignified sport when my but cheeks are hanging out of my shorts.
Dec 9, 2013 from Seattle, Washington, United States
Kobajo84
Another thing I want to add...as for student dress code- if someone wants to go as far as enforcing one- the only one I'd recommend is doubling up in the pelvic area. If you're wearing booty shorts, you better be wearing two layers of fabric between you and the pole. So don't forget those undies ladies.
Dec 9, 2013 from Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
phedre
From a socially awkward student perspective... I look to the website or Facebook page of a studio to get an idea of what others are wearing and if there is a dress code. If I felt a dress code were impractical, I would probably refrain from going. On the other hand, I've never encountered a studio that required anything like full length pants or anything crazy like that. I do feel that flat outlawing booty shorts is silly. Maybe if it's an issue, ask that they cover the butt/thigh fold at the very least (I think I saw someone say gluteal fold). But if a studio were ultra strict, I'd think twice about going. I'm not going to redo my pole clothes for one pole studio when there are five others in the area.
Dec 9, 2013 from Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Jacki C
This is totally getting into the dichotomy of the pole world. Tricky, muddy waters. I can see, when developing a business plan for a pole studio, how having a well thought out target market and how your particular business presents itself would indicate a particular dress code if you were strictly promoting fitness. I think the problem comes in when students and staff have had the freedom to dress as they saw fit and then had that revoked. I've only been involved in small studios which were the only studios in the area and dress codes never came up. These studios had both sexy and fitness, sometimes taught in the same class. Women start pole for different reasons, so if they are into strictly fitness pole they will probably gravitate towards a fitness geared studio when given a choice. These are probably the clientele who would be put off by "too much" skin exposure. On the other side are the women who gravitate to "sexy" pole, and these women probably will not be put off a little extra skin. Also there is just the common sense factor. Unless the studio is ridiculously hot, it would seem that most instructors won't be bearing midriffs in a beginner class. There is truth to scaring away new students if the instructor wears tiny boy shorts and a sports bra to introductory classes.
Dec 9, 2013 from Walla Walla, Washington, United States
Fever Previous Paid Member
I really don't care who thinks pole dancing is a dignified sport. I don't think that pole dancing should be in the Olympics, and I've long thought that the fitness aspect of pole dancing would consume the sexy aspect to its detriment. I am seeing that come true as I am often the only student at the studio I now attend who wears heels to class. I have no problem with anyone using pole dancing as a fitness tool and do not mind whether or not students wear heels, go barefoot, or wear sweats or booty shorts, but some of us were only attracted to pole dancing because it was so different from every other kind of fitness out there.

More and more, I'm giving up on pole dancing because what I loved about it is fast becoming extinct. I would not attend a studio with a dress code. I have been instructing for a year and a half, and while I would always wear respectable shorts and a tank top for a beginner classes (still in heels, though!), I loved to see the girls get into the sexy aspect of pole dancing as time went on. Barefoot ladies would start wearing heels, the tank tops would turn into sports bras, and I would see self esteem shoot through the roof.

This is all a moot point because the pole world is going to where the pole world is going to go. It just makes me sad to see how much the experiences of dancers are being marginalized and stripped (ha ha) from pole dancing, even though they are the creators and the forerunners of it. Sad, sad, sad.
Dec 9, 2013 from Longwood, Florida, United States
CapFeb
As a student, I wouldn't go to her studio--I have my own space at home to pole and learn and I can wear whatever the hell I want. I'm not saying everyone should go in their skivvies--but what about Halloween Videos and Bringing Sexy Back? Events and such. If you're training for a certain performance and you don't know how well your outfit will stay in place during the routine, etc.

Boundaries are fine if they're reasonable. I don't think this is reasonable.

If you want to be THAT studio that denounces the stripping roots, I have no problem with the studio not offering "Stripper-esque" classes. But don't tell me that in MY free time that I PAY you to have free time in, what I am and am not allowed to wear.
Dec 9, 2013 from Glendale, Arizona, United States
phedre
I figured as much. I was just saying that sweat pants would be insane lol. It's really difficult to get any variety of grip. I didn't mean to imply that your studio enforced something like that.
Dec 9, 2013 from Jacksonville, Florida, United States
michaelaarghh
I think a 'dress code' is ridiculous. Maybe this is an American thing? But I feel it's absolutely ridiculous for someone to get so offended as to what other people are wearing / doing that rules need to be imposed.
I tend to agree with what has been said insofar as students will tend to follow what the teacher is doing. So if the teachers are wearing pants for warmups, "fuller" shorts and a singlet then the students will tend to copy that. I guess another option is you could sell pole wear? That way students will also be likely to buy clothes directly from the studio, and since they've been "approved" as appropriate there's no probs with anyone wearing them.
Dec 9, 2013 from Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
OopseyDaisey
I don't really care what gals wear to class, EXCEPT when I'm spotting someone in an invert, I seriously do not like having their labia, etc. right in my face. I find that to be very disrespectful of your instructor. Especially when we go out of our way to spot you in a manner that that is professional and doesn't cross boundaries. I always ask new students if it is ok to touch them for spotting.
Other than that, I hope you come in wearing whatever fits your mood or goal for the day, whether it be sexy, sporty, smart, sassy...& I hope I'm able to help you achieve that.
Dec 9, 2013 from Los Angeles, California, United States
azblanco
I think a dress code is ridiculous. Has there been any complaints from other students? I wouldn't be too concerned right now until its implemented. It might be one of those things that student's might not follow.. and at that point the owner is jeopardizing her business and loyal clients... Do most of the students wear little shorts like the brazil cut?
Dec 10, 2013 from New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
azblanco
i agree with what Kobajo said about the instructors.. This is very true that instructors have a huge impact on students.
However, i don't think a dress code should be applied to students..
Dec 10, 2013 from New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Meg Smith
I think it's sad there are rules on what you can wear. yes big comps have but bit different from local studio. to me pole dancing is whatever you want it to be just like life.. it can be fun happy sporty or even emotional,powerful erotica. that why is appealed to me as it can be what ever on any day. some times I don't even take my hoodie off sometime I'm wiggling my booty in some tiny shorts... all depends on my mood. Pole dancing is freeing as it can be anything you want it to be - its not fo someone who you pay to teach to tell you what to wear. Just my 2 pence worth. :-)
Dec 10, 2013 from England, United Kingdom
Maria_T
Hi, I don't normally participate in most of rhe SV discussions (but I do read them) bur this topic really gets under my skin. I am one of those ladies who likes to feel sexy and look tall (I'm a shorty at only 5'3, lol). Because I am short and don't have long legs and I have a short waist and somewhat narrow hips, shorts and some tops that cover surface area actually look very unflattering on my type of physique. I would very uncomfortable, restrained, unsexy, juged and irritated if I were in this situation. Thankfully I have not had to go through at studios I have taught at or taken classes at in the past. It is fine to promote the fitness ans sporty side of pole but you don't have to down the sexy, sensual side (or look) in the process. I would never give my business to a studio with this type of policy or attitude.
Dec 10, 2013 from Columbia, Maryland, United States
Maria_T
I meant ro say "shorts and some tops that cover a lot of surface area. "
Maria_T
Sorry for all the typos. I'm typing on a new phone with a keypad I am not used to.
Maria_T
Agree with you 1000% Litlbit!! Ok sorry everyone. Done with my random bursts of comments lol!
AerialGypsy
Question 1) Is clothing students are wearing causing an issue in class? 2) are girls wearing things that show too much (seriously, as long as the girlie bits are covered, who cares?) A little cheek wont hurt people. Wearing just a thong, then that might be something to approach tactfully, if it happens.)

If clothing is not causing an issue in class, then it would potentially be detrimental to make a restricted list. Part of the fun of pole is the cute polewear. They shouldn't take that away from girls. Like I said, as long as it covers the essentials...
Dec 10, 2013 from Oregon, United States
AerialGypsy
I do agree with kobajo in that the instructors should look professional as to not intimidate students, but if a student wants to wear cheeky shorts, more power to her!
Sierra Taye
I agree with most of what has been said here. I am already extremely body consious, but being in a supportive environment where I can wear short shorts and a sports bra and not have anyone giggle or point at jiggly bits of cellulite makes me feel extremely confident about myself.

I feel like every studio should have this general dress code: please cover privates/girlie bits/areola and genitals. I mean, besides that, who cares? If I wan walk around outside with my cleavage showing (you know, if I had any!) and be fine, why not in class? And If I can go jogging in booty shorts on a bike path, why not in class? If I attended a studio that enforced a dress code more than just covering your private bits, I would leave in a heartbeat even though it is the ONLY studio in my area. I would rather travel out of state to go someplace else than allow myself to feel shame for my body because of a dress code.
Dec 10, 2013 from Rumford, Rhode Island, United States
PoleFitMom
I have a no under garment policy, but aside from that am open to those wearing what they are comfortable in. I had instructed at a studio a few years ago that allowed underwire bras and panties and I felt that it was not the environment I wanted for myself. And when I say panties, I mean single layer.
Dec 10, 2013 from Omaha, Nebraska, United States
zoeyxxxx
Wow all these comments took me a while to read. But this has come ip st perfect timing for me. So recently I been working on my sexy side witch for me never happens. But the smaller my shorts the bettet I feel :). Well today I went to class in my tiny shorts witch I only just grown enough balls to show up in. I most say I felt uncomfortable like I was being stared at ( this may of just been me bring paranoid ;/). But I had a lot better hold in titanic and other things. So unless im teaching my tiny shorts can stay :) and hope a few follow me :) xxx
Dec 10, 2013 from Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Is a bathing suit considered "underwear"? What would you say if you were teaching someone like me, who couldn't find any "proper" pole clothes?
I'm curious :) Definitely something we need to think about
Dec 10, 2013 from Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
sparrow
As a teacher, I wore 'full coverage' shorts and a tank in class. Always. Poling in class in underwear doesn't seem right. I don't even do that alone. lol.

Bathing suit bottoms are not considered underwear, I'm sure. However, most suit bottoms show more skin than shorts do....
Dec 10, 2013 from Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Anya123
I think everyone wants pole to be recognized as a sport and treated as much.Why wouldn't there be a dress code? If you were in volleyball would you want a team mate wearing a thong?? Or anything skimpy like that? Unless it's an exotic/strip class it's not acceptable for someone to wear something that will have their body parts popping out. No one wants to see that it's very inappropriate and inconsiderate. It would be very sad if a girl quit class because another girl made her uncomfortable.
Dec 10, 2013
SToast Previous Paid Member
I think something stating that "a lot of our tricks require bare skin/pole contact. But please be mindful of what you are wearing so you don't expose more than you intended to" That's pretty much what our instructor told us. She made sure when we signed up that we bent over, twisted, etc in the clothes we were planning on wearing and in front of a mirror BEFORE we came to class. Full crotch coverage and no nipples is all she asked for.
Dec 10, 2013
AerialGypsy
I think it is okay for the advanced girls to show a little cheek since there are moves where cheekage helps.
Anya123
Robinb I have seen I was making an example of wearing a thong to volleyball.. And I said I think everyone wants pole to be seen as a sport I didn't say everyone... I said that because I read that a lot. I was giving my opinion, i would legit quit a class if I wanted to be in a professionally setting and learn moves but saw a girl in her underwear or bra that's just plain innapropriate or having some girls boob or vagina popping out I would get grossed out and wouldn't be focused. It's not hard to dress appropriately if you can afford classes you can afford proper shorts that cover your ass and a proper sports bra or top that will hold in your boobs. It's sad that girls don't care about covering up their private parts because that should only be meant for one person. Again, just giving my opinion like everyone else.
Dec 10, 2013
Robinb- totally agree with you! My boobs are about the same size (I'm a bit smaller around the waist, though), so... it really is very hard to find pole clothes. Especially cute or sexy ones! I suppose I sort of see bathing suits as "socially acceptable underwear," in that if you changed the material slightly, it WOULD be underwear, so that's why I asked. :)
Dec 10, 2013 from Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
litlbit Previous Paid Member
I apologize in advance, but this thread made me laugh (I tend to find humor in everything!). What I found so funny was the fact that there appear to be "Assumptions" as to just the wording "Dress Code". Not ONE person has asked what the dress code is. YES, my studio has a "Dress Code".

It is as follows, Students need to wear comfortable "workout" clothing for their first class, week 2 you will need shorts to allow skin contact with the pole (many ladies are SO UNCOMFORTABLE yet with the idea of even shorts, so I have to let them know up front ahead of time so they aren't shocked). Once we start basic invert you will need to make sure you have a sports bra for skin contact on your torso. You will not be allowed to invert without a solid point of contact (this is for their safety so they don't slip or slide when they are learning). Bathing suits ARE allowed for those ladies as robinb has mentioned for something that fits them comfortably. Graduation videos they can wear whatever they like as long as we don't have to see lady bits! If someone has shorts gaping when their legs are spred and it exposes them in my or an instructors face, I will speak to them privately about wearing panties with their shorts/bottoms. I am a retired nurse and know how to be discreet. By the time the ladies are more advanced they come in and throw on pole shorts, rip of their shirts down to a sports bra and are ready to kick it! I have never had a problem with someone leaving due to a "Dress Code".I still have students that started with me 3 years ago, I have excellent retention, and they keep bringing more people in, I NEVER have to advertise, it's all word of mouth, So what I do works for us :) Happy Poling!!!! "The End"
Dec 10, 2013 from Fargo, North Dakota, United States
AerialGypsy
I figure its pretty obvious that one shouldn't wear stuff that'll show off the vajayjay.
Anya123
Aerialgyspy some girls think it's cute to wear a skimpy outfit and if you get into a difficult move something might come out. That's the whole point of this discussion I think.
Dec 10, 2013
AerialGypsy, we would like to believe that it would be obvious, but there a always those few that it's not. You know those WARNING labels on products, well it's because someone has either thought of doing it, or has done it! LOL you would think that wouldn't happen. :D
AerialGypsy
Seems more like they just want to avoid a "stripper" stigma. The fact that certain bad kitty (designed to cover the naughty bits) would be banned, tells me that. Instructors could easily mention, in the case of a beaver show, that no gapping shorts are recommended, but banning perfectly good pole wear is odd to me.
AerialGypsy
lilbit - lol yeah I guess that is true. It doesn't warrant an all out ban of perfectly good pole wear. I'd be so irked if they banned something I already had.
Our main concern was gaping shorts. We had to deal with that early on. The students complained about 2 ladies, I witnessed it once it was brought to my attention. Though I've seen thousands of crotches in my nursing career, pole instruction is not one place I care to experience that! I did speak with the ladies privately. So to avoid anyones discomfort including the person it affects, we state in the 1st class intro about form fitting bottoms. I think that IS appropriate. We have a few ladies that wear Bad Kitty, I have some myself. I do not have a problem as long as it doesn't open up, in other words just make sure your pole clothes fit properly. :) Problem solved!!
PinkPony
Ever see female fitness model & body building competitions? The women wear teeny tiny bikinis specially made to show the muscles they work so hard for. And many wear high acrylic "stripper" heels.
When a woman who chooses to dance topless for a living is no longer viewed as a threatening villain, we will have made progress as a culture. Until then, why is it important to make someone who prefers to be covered comfortable but not important to let someone who likes heels & Bad Kitty feel comfortable? Maybe those accessories help her feel in touch with her assertive side. Maybe someone who is shy of wearing those things would be inspired by her.
I am not saying you should wear floss, because that's unsanitary, plain & simple. Always keep a barrier between your cookie & the pole ;)

Dec 10, 2013 from Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
ginger78
This is too funny. I'm glad that I have a studio of sisters. We have grown to become close friends throughout the years. I'm tall and big, not heavy but big. Shirts and shorts are always a problem. I double layer everything because my tank top shifts and boobs come close to coming loose and my shorts are full coverage but tell that to my booty that just thinks lunch. I'm gonna get cheeky no matter what I wear.
We wear what we are comfortable in and I agree. Dress how you would like your students too dress and we will follow.
For the studio that has the open door that public occasionally enters. That would make me self conscious and very uncomfortable. Our larger studio has a nice purple drape that prevents outside viewing. How would you like to be doing stretching and have strangers walk in while your spread eagle.
I'm thankful for my instructor that has just got in there and secured me back to the pole no matter what it takes. I've fallen once on my own and it's a bad thing. So if your an instructor I'm sure you've had many butts in the face or boobs in hand but it's better than 911!
Dec 10, 2013 from Central Valley (historical), California, United States
The posing suits in BB comps, are just that, for posing, not dancing. They are sprayed with adhesive to hold in place. The Fitness BB comp portion is a costume that meets criteria for gymnastics type moves/performance of physique, strength, agility/flexibility. The Fitness portion wears a posing suit only when not performing. I know many bodybuilding women, and have assisted them back stage for their comps. Note that depending on the comp, ie; NPC, or IFBB (just to name a few) and where it's located has a specific dress code as well. Some do not allow Brazilian bottom cut for example. They have been fighting a battle with dress codes since the 1st comp that allowed women in!
Fever Previous Paid Member
Lol@ginger78, yeah, I have the same problem. This big 'ole booty will be held in by no shorts! I do think PinkPony makes a great point that being comfortable goes both ways. I want everyone to feel comfortable, including myself. I absolutely hate poling without heels. I realize a lot of people feel differently, but I started in heels, love my heels, and really, you'd have to pry them off my legs. I also like wearing booty shorts and shaking said booty.

It just comes down to preference. Personally, I wouldn't attend a studio with a subtext of "Cover up, you might offend someone!!" I prefer studios where the subtext is "Open your mind! We're all different, so let's embrace that!" I have attended both kinds of studios and find that the latter is where I feel most comfortable. I'm just hoping those kind of places aren't squeezed out as pole fitness mainstreams.

My classes all revolved around everyone feeling comfortable with themselves, which I loved, and girls who weren't comfortable became more comfortable as time went on. It would be nice if studios could offer both types of classes, which is how my studio ended up panning out. I taught choreography and sexy floorwork classes where the atmosphere was really low key and accepting and we joked about our "vagina monsters" when we learned to straddle-walk. The studio also had classes under a "fit" moniker that were much more fitness based and wherein ladies wore longer shorts, tank tops, went barefoot more often, etc. There's a place for every poler! I do agree that these two schools of thought can coexist peacefully, but only if we work hard not to exclude people.
Dec 11, 2013 from Longwood, Florida, United States
nymphdancer
There is NO such thing as full coverage shorts for my butt. I wear yoga shorts. They always end up creeping up my butt.

All my favorite teachers teach in tiny shorts, bikini tops, or panties and bra's. Alethea, Cleo, Michelle Mynx to name a few.
Dec 11, 2013 from Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Veena
Nothing wrong with some cheeks!! 🍑 lol I get that some like modesty but would personally love to see more of society less offended by sexuality.
Dec 11, 2013 from San Francisco, California, United States
azblanco
nymphdancer- I can definitely relate your comment. I received a comment recently that I am wearing a thong in my profile picture on facebook, when in actual reality, it is my shorts
Dec 11, 2013 from New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
AerialGypsy
Not gonna lie, I would LOVE to have an ass that ate my shorts!
Dec 12, 2013 from Oregon, United States
luvlee
The Brazil shorts are only appropriate if they are the right fit!!! I had a pair of smalls. I wear S-M in most shorts. They showed to much butt like a thong and if I pulled them down, plumber crack!!!! So, the mediums have better coverage. They are thick as well, which is great! I think there should be a no underwear in class dress code. I have never seen anyone wear underwear in class. Underwear in thin. Pole shorts and swim wear is made thicker.
Dec 12, 2013 from Dayton, Ohio, United States
luvlee
Also, for those of you who claim there is no pole shorts in the world that fit your butt, try the Mika Yoga wear Lucia shorts. They are better coverage than most.
Dec 12, 2013 from Dayton, Ohio, United States
Jacki C
Slightly off topic, but, I have actually found that since I first started poling, my glutes have grown tremendously, thus shorts that covered as a beginner don't cover as much now. Which I am fine with because I pole at home and I like the grip. :)
Dec 12, 2013 from Walla Walla, Washington, United States
nymphdancer
Sorry Luvlee I will never try a pair of Mika. I just can't afford them number 1, and number 2 I have looked at them when they are at the Mid west pole comp and the largest size STILL wouldn't cover my butt and would end up getting eaten by my butt. Don't get me wrong I love my butt. I try for beginner's classes to wear my longest shorts. They go several inches down my legs. By the end of class they are booty shorts. But my website shows me in sexy clothes and high heels.

Dec 12, 2013 from Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Laura KittyCat
I can see a studio owner implementing a dress code for the instructors (no booty or tata hanging out) but, as an instructor of all levels of pole, I do not approve of students being asked to cover up if they have a little cheek hanging out. Some of yall who are blessed (or cursed?) with some of what I call "trunk junk" cant find shorts that work with pole while keeping all of your cheeks hidden. Ive had basic level students who wear sports bra and shorts (even though at basic side contact is not necessary) and intermediate students who prefer a tank and never take off their shirt. In my opinon, students should be allowed to wear what they wish, so long as vag isnt poping out to say hi and their nipples remain covered. It is kind of unprofessional (in my opinion) for an instructor to have massive booty (more than say 40%) or cleavage hanging out while teaching, but you shouldnt have to ask your students to cover up as long a their private parts stay private. It may make them self consious, and while there is a huge debate/divide over sport and fitness vs. sexy dance, the one thing we can ALL agree on is that pole is about the individual expressing themselves and finding a way to love and accept themselves for who and what they are while they stive to better themselves in a challenging and motivating way through pole.
Dec 14, 2013 from Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Nancy Pole
Well... I am not fully agreed with dress code rule but I have to confess that I chose my pole class school with more modest and less sexy oriented atmosphere in it. It was rather a turnoff when I went to the trial class at the other pole studio where most girls were wearing underwear-like booties. (One of the girls was wearing exact same underwear of same brand of what I was wearing underneath of my sports shorts. No kidding!)
Not that I care about what other people say about what I wear or what polers wear. But I think if you are poling, you are already sexy, sensual and all needless to say the great strength. Don't feel like trying more to look sexier by wearing underwear instead of minimally showy shorts to do poling.
Dec 14, 2013 from Singapore, Singapore
ThePoleStory
For the love of God. If I wanted to be a part of a community that was going to tell me how to dress right down to the number of centimeters my gluteal folds are permitted to be "exposed", I would have been a damn gymnast. I would have been been an ice skater. I would have been a swimmer. No, see I became a pole dancer because it gave me freedom- freedom to be who I am in the studio and out, freedom to explore my dance through things like dressing up or down, playing with heels, collars,ties, boots, hoodies and whatever else. Pole is subversive. It's subversive because it challenges the traditional ideas of what a woman can and cannot be, should and should not do when it comes to her body. When you have a woman who is smart, articulate and perhaps works as an engineer by day (like Nadia Sharif) and then who puts on high heels, and dances out the sexy at night you have a woman who is actively breaking down stereotypes. Why yes, I can be smart and sexy and be public about both. Why no, dancing in high heels on a pole does not make me a dumb, desperate woman. And yes, I am CHOOSING to dance like this, to move like this, to DRESS like this because it pleases me. And I really don't care what you think. Because what you think is a reflection of your own values and issues. I'm at peace with my choices, and who I am. This is what infuriates me the most about these kinds of "rules" about dress and bodies and exposure. Underlying all of it is a thinly veiled expression of shaming. And shame is what I shed when I started pole dancing. The words "appropriate" and "professional" come up a lot in this thread in reference to clothing. I spend my days working in a place where I have to be appropriate and professional. The last thing I want to do is walk into my studio at the end of the day and get the same rigamarole. As far as getting the mainstream to accept pole I truly don't think pole will go anywhere if it whitewashes the sexy out of it. Why should we change in order to be taken more seriously? If you change yourself to be accepted by another person, what happens? You lose the respect of that person and you lose your identity. That same dynamic exists on a macro level as well. Yes, pole is athletic and it gets you fit an its beautiful and yes it has many faces. yes competitions and studios need rules for safety among other things. But forcing pole dancers to look or act or present a certain way is just squeezing the very soul right out of pole culture.
Dec 14, 2013 from Los Angeles, California, United States
FoolsErrand
I've been fascinated by this thread, but wonder: does the "dress as skimpy as you like" philosophy for sexy classes apply to men as well?
Dec 14, 2013 from Redwood City, California, United States
Phoenix Hunter Paid Member
I think it's perfectly fine for men to dress skimpy and pole. I guess small short-shorts (speedo type) and no shirt is about as skimpy as a man could go without getting into thong territory. I would be ok with a man wearing that to class. or if he wanted to wear heels and bikini! I thinks it perfectly ok
Dec 14, 2013 from California, United States
Cocoa0
Dear Claire (ThePoleStory),
I f&$@ing LOVE you. That is all :)
Dec 14, 2013 from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Onga01
This actually upsets me. Pole dancing is what it is. No matter how many dress codes you implement or banning of certain "racy" moves it ain't ever going to change. I like the sexual freedom, I like to dress a little racy while dancing and the studio is one of the few places you can with out being judged. Sorry, but if I were a student at studio this strict I would ask for my money back and leave.
Dec 15, 2013 from BC, Canada
vamp79
I can't believe that any studio would actually implement a dress code, pretty ridiculous in my opinion. If a particular student is consistently exposing her private parts then maybe speaking to that student would be a better option. Like other members have already mentioned, unless part of their vagina is showing then I don't see a problem. I have shown the edge of my nipple while inverting by mistake and I wasn't even wearing anything skimpy. One of the other students kindly pointed it out and I proceded to cover it. No big deal, it's not like they had never seen a nipple before :/. After that day I simply made sure that my tank top was placed a little higher right before going upside down. I am only into pole because of the sexiness that it brings out in me, and have stopped going to some instructors because of the lack of sassy ness in their classes/routines.. Don't get me wrong I love the tricks and fitness part of it as well but it is not appealing to me unless you throw in the sexy moves.
Dec 15, 2013 from Miami, Florida, United States
I can not believe all the bashing regarding a "Dress Code". I have supported all types of pole, and it really saddens me to read such mean things within the community. This is the last post I will make, as I don't feel the need to insult, put down, or otherwise try to make someone do things or think the way I do. A dress code in my studio is for the SAFETY of the students and the instructors! ie; YOU will not learn a pole sit in capris or yoga pants, because skin contact is essential. You will NOT learn crucifix or a climb in them, because skin contact is essential. I will NOT allow you to invert in pants and a tee shirt because skin contact is essential.

The women that come to my studio are self conscious, have been intimidated at gyms, and other fitness classes. They DO NOT want to bare their skin, therefore it is necessary to tell them before they EVER start a 1st class, that this is the very least they need to be able to do, is wear shorts, a sports bra and tank top if they choose to learn these things. The majority of women that take classes are larger, it is my job and the instructors to get them to the point of being comfortable in their own skin, once we have accomplished that and helped them raise their self esteem, to let them know they ARE beautiful just the way they are, they will come into their own. It is my job to help them on that journey, not to force them to do something they are not ready for. That's the compassion that comes with the territory. I CARE very much for these women and RESPECT their choices for THEMSELVES, not what I might believe is right for them. I have never had a problem with cheeky shorts, Veena has performed at my studio and is one of the sexiest, sensual polers I know. Peace :)
Dec 15, 2013 from Fargo, North Dakota, United States
michaelaarghh
litlbit, did you even read this forum? No one is complaining that they are being told to wear too much? with all due respect I think it's a little different saying to a student "you must have skin contact on your thighs to grip the pole for your safety" as opposed to "your shorts must be this many cm long and cover this percentage of your skin so everyone else feels comfortable looking at you".

I feel that everyone should only be concerned with what they're wearing. Sometimes I wear shorts to class that show a little bit of butt crease. I only ever wear a sports bra / shorts combo. Other girls in my class always wear a singlet. The point is, everyone should feel comfortable wearing whatever they damn well feel like, within reason. If there is a particular student practically being naked and flashing their bits all over the place, then that's a different story and they should be spoken to in private.
Dec 16, 2013 from Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Charley
I have had a share of very unique experiences in regards to this that I will share.

To the question: Should a studio have a dress code? Yes. We need to have at least minimal standards by which everyone can easily abide by, for example - everyone needs to cover their Vajajay. To some this seems OBVIOUS - but it's not.

ALL below stories are true and infact actually happened to me

Case Study 1: Teaching a Group Class on Saturday Morning

I was teaching at a dance studio (non--pole) on weekends. This studio was a talent studio so they would offer classes in dance, acting, singing, etc. On weekends the owner would hold auditions in the office and I would teach pole class in the front studio. All classes were group classes.

One Saturday morning in mid summer, booking was light, I looked and saw only 1 student in class. It was a gorgeous day so instead of cancelling, I chose to hold the class anyway. Keep in mind this is GROUP class not a private and this student had no idea who would be in the class - she got lucky it was just me. When my student shows up she shows up with a man and asks if he can stay. She's the only one in the class - I have no issue with this but I let her know this is a GROUP class and I am BENDING the rules as I never let people observe but since it's just her today it's fine. I ask her to get changed so we can begin. Right in front of me she takes her clothes off and she's standing in a bra and g-string. I ask if she brought pole clothes, she says no, this is what she poles in. SIGH! I hear the door main door open and in walks a mother and her young son, the young boy will be auditioning today for a singing class. Awesome! I ask the student to step aside so the young boy doesn't see her as not to offend anyone, she does, boy goes back to the office. I had only set up one pole because it was one student so here I am wiping the pole every single time this girls gets down. I'm sorry but - GSTRINGS don't cover everything, I am NOT comfortable with this. I am nice enough to go along, teach her, nicely tell her she has to wear shorts and that had there been anyone else signed up she would have had to do the class in her pants. She agrees to bring shorts next time and leave the dude at home. Next week, larger class, she comes to class strips to her G-string and I have to ask her to put her pants back on. She gets angry because this means she will not be able to work on anything besides floor and spins. She decries racism and a whole lot of other things including that I am discriminating against her for being a stripper. I am not. I am simply asking that all orifices be completely covered. I don't care how cheeky her shorts are but I do not find GSTRINGS to be sanitary.

Case Study 2: By dressing sexy I am making my students feel badly about themselves.

I was once told that I dressed too sexy for sexy class. I felt shamed and hurt. I was teaching sexy class, thus needed my sexy clothes to get into character to better take my students down their own journey of sensual dance. Bear in mind the class had sexy in the title. I was told students were afraid they'd seem something they shouldn't, which is ludicrous, I always wore cheek boy shorts or bathing suit bottoms and a thong under. I was asked to teach the sexy class in shorts with a minimum of a 1 inch inseam. I freaked out and refused. I then began opening my class with a statement about my attire. "This is Sexy class, as your instructor, I need to feel sexy to teach sexy. I encourage each and everyone of you to come to class dressed in something that makes you feel sexy whether it be a long night gown, a bikini, your favorite club top, your man's shirt, whatever makes you feel sexy and join me in exploring this part ourselves." I was so hurt and shamed with that conversation, to be told my body made others feel badly about themselves because I was "in better shape than many of your students" hurt my heart, i've NEVER EVER purposely done ANYTHING to make anyone feel badly about their body. I spent each and every class complimenting my students and working with them to increase their self esteem. This incident certainly left a scar on me. The point was for everyone to have fun getting their sexy on, not judge the instructor. I had never felt so ashamed of myself.

Case Study 3: I could giver her a Brazilian - wait - she doesn't need one as far as I can tell

I had a friend/student who was VERY sexy. So much, I love her. We were all taking a workshop one day my other friend pointed out my sexy friend doing the jade, I was like yeah nice split...she goes NO! look! I did. EEK! Too tiny of a crotch on those shorts. Here's the thing, I have a vagina, I'm not super offended by seeing a peak of someone vagina - who cares. What I came to learn later was all of this girls shorts were like that and she didn't wear a thong with them so all of her splits moves gave us a great look and her very hairless vagina (I kind of wanted to know if it was laser, wax or shaving because seriously, it looked really smooth - no I'm not a lesbian - just saying.) Some girls who also noticed became uncomfortable with sharing a pole with her just because of the sanitary issue. No one was insinuating she was dirty or anything else but we just felt a little icky, kinda like when someone sneezes then tries to touch you. BTW, I absolutely love this girl and her rebellious vajajay.

So I as a general rule ask students to bring shorts to class, I tell them they cannot take class in a G-string and most people giggle, but seriously I've had more than one occasion where someone didn't have shorts and thought they could trick out on the pole in a G-String. I always recommend doing the vagina monster check, if you think your shorts aren't covering EVERYTHING then get down on the floor and spread 'em and look. A good thong under your shorts will also help.

I'm also not going to sit here and pretend that my Vajajay hasn't ever slipped out because it has, not in front of students in a class where I am teaching vagina monsters (because I do the check before class)but in pole moves like tail sit - the fabric get pulled or whatever.

In a co-ed class I do think we should have some sort of standard for pole wear because we are mixing genders and we do not want to make anyone uncomfortable. In all girl classes - honestly, who cares? BE SANITARY. Just don't let your naked vagina touch the pole and we're cool. We all have them and sometimes the crotch of the shorts isn't as wide as we thought, I'm an instructor, I spot advanced moves, I have had so many body parts in my face it isn't even funny.

To students: don't be judgy. You're going to a POLE class. Don't get surprised or offended when you take a sexy class and your instructor looks like a stripper, that's kind of the point. If you SEE something that makes you uncomfortable it's pretty likely you're seeing it accidentally - discreetly tell whom ever it is so they can ADJUST and not have everyone gossiping about them behind their back. Trust me - I'd want to be told. On a side note but related, my agent Kat is my super bestie because when I'm on my period and I've bled through my shorts - she always tells me so I can change and clean up - and I have issue with it because I can't wear tampons. We are ALL women, let's stop being judgmental and focus on what's SANITARY. No one is purposely making you look at their vagina. *except maybe case study 1? lol*
Dec 16, 2013 from Royal Oak, Michigan, United States
Saphyre Paid Member
I just read every single word of this Charley! I was seriously laughing out loud, but it is all so true! I think sanitary is the key word here. Even when I wear my tiny VS boy shorts, you can be guaranteed I am wearing a thong underneath! The only exception was my professional photo shoot. I cleaned the pole myself when I was finished. Thanks for sharing! - Susan
Dec 16, 2013 from Yorkville, Illinois, United States
Lina Spiralyne
Amazing reading, thanks Charley! You always have something interesting to stick in thanks to your long experience (how many years?). It was funny and a little unbelievable, so yeah, anything can obviously happen!
Dec 16, 2013 from Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden
Kyrsten
I can see rules against straight up thongs, underwear as bottoms and things like string bikinis as tops, but I don't see why a little cheek or cleavage is a problem... Usually in my beginner classes I will wear a tank and t-shirt and some of my less revealing shorts as usually the students are shyer and I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable, and it seems like most of our instructors do the same (save the cheekier stuff for the "sexy" classes and advanced classes). My studio is definitely more on the sexy side of pole though.

I have a story too - we had 2 girls come for class one day who were exotic dancers wanting to learn doubles tricks for a show. They come from the dressing room and one is wearing some yoga shorts and a sports bra and the other girl came out in a full-on thong and bra. Her friend was horrified like "girl, where are your shorts??" The other girl looked bewildered and said "these are my shorts!" and looked to me for approval. I just laughed and said "cheeks are ok" because it was only other instructors in that class but I think it definitely would have made some people uncomfortable.

Trying to take away heels and regulate inseam length is going a little too far for me, though...
Dec 16, 2013 from Detroit, Michigan, United States
Charley, that was interesting to read. haha! :) I think you could write a whole book about vaginas in class and I would read it.
Dec 16, 2013 from California, United States
JBStarryEyedGirl
I have basic studio rules for dress code. For our group fitness classes we recommend a sports bra, tank or tee shirt (optional - especially for upper level classes where more skin contact is needed), and form fitting shorts.

We do not allow students to wear only underwear (panties, thongs, or g-strings) or bras or string bikini tops.

I do not regulate what students wear to private lessons or to our events. It's all about corsets, booty shorts, and sexy attire when us grown up ladies come out to play!

I personally prefer to wear booty shorts (or swimsuit bottoms) with a sports bra and leg warmers. Some days I wear a top, and sometimes I don't. It's not about flaunting my body or trying to intimidate students, I want them to know that I am simply comfortable in my skin and I want them to feel safe and know that I won't be judging them if they choose to bare some skin too.

Pole class is a place to celebrate our bodies and to be empowered to strip down if we choose!

I love pole because it allows us to be fit, feminine and sexy!
Dec 17, 2013 from St. Louis, Missouri, United States
Charley
I think at the end of the day to each studio it's own. You must find what works for you in all ways. If you think that a dress code will somehow bring in more people then do it! Do what you believe in and what will make your business successful!

Instructors - It's very important for you to make up your mind about such policies and figure out what you believe, in regards to pole. Don't work someplace that doesn't fall inline with your message or your thoughts. I know it's hard to walk away! I've done it, and in quite an ugly fashion I might add, but once tempers simmer down you can always go back and fix your relationship with the owner - I know because I did that as well. You can have a great professional relationship even if you walked away. It's important to be working and teaching in a way that makes you authentic and gives you the opportunity to provide the best for your clients. If a dress code policy is a hindrance to that (for me I know it would be) then you have to choose: Stay and follow the rules or Leave and figure something else out. Conversely if not having such a policy in place is making you feel uncomfortable - for example: too many vagina's that you don't wish to see - then you need to talk to the owner and maybe implement something or again walk away. We as independent contractors must always bear in mind the burden of the business in on the owner not us. No matter how much work you may be doing, you may even feel like you are running the whole show, and even if you are the reality is the success or failure rests on the person paying the bills. If it's a failure you won't be paying the money to get out of debt the owner will be. So we should all be very careful in putting down certain policies and recognize no one is attempting to implement something to destroy but to build.

With that said. I personally believe that sexy clothing where appropriate is an important step in all pole dancers journey - we all may not come to it at the same time. Some may pole dance for a few years before embracing the sensual side and choosing to experiment with sexy clothing. We all will at some point.

Another finding I've observed through teaching sexy classes is that while students used to look absolutely horrified when I'd make my grand entrance is 7 inch heels and lingerie and welcome them for class, in those 45 minutes I not only taught them how to FEEL sexy but I forced them to take the first step for real self confidence. I presented them with an image that makes them uncomfortable, an image they may hate, how often, despite how enlightened we may be have we hated on the "sexy" girl. How many times have we assumed since she's dressing in a very sexy way that she's self absorbed or mean? How many times have we simply not given her a chance because we are comparing ourselves to HER and in doing that we begin to HATE her, feeling like we cannot live up to her image? I know that I have and I'm not proud but competition is human nature. By dressing in a way that is provocative but being the teacher, the giver, the one who empowers and raises up while wearing lingerie and 7 inch heels, I'm teaching the girls to look at themselves, to see themselves as the sexy, sensual creatures they are. Often times girls would say things like "it looks sexy when you do it, but not on me" and my reply would be - "it's the shoes, their magic!" or something silly. Then I would make them move slow, look and see how sexy they are, I'd pick something very special about their movement - like the way their long legs push their butt out in a sexy arch or how how sexy their booty is when they do figure 8's or how graceful they step around the pole. When we can let go of what other women do, act or look like, when we STOP comparing, we understand that beauty is something embodied by every woman, when we can let go of our cattiness and accept in other women, we ourselves are on a path to TRULY OWNING OUR SEXY.

After only 45 minutes most women would sign up again to take the class. Within 45 minutes a lot of girls would ask "Where do you get your outfits?" "Should I bring shoes?" "Is it easier with shoes?" I'd always share my favorite places like Bad Kitty and local stores that sell "stripper" shoes and most of them the next week would come in with a pair of heels!!! Realize just 45 minutes ago they were looking at me in HORROR - utter HORROR. I could see the judgment on their face, I could see and often hear them discussing how "slutty" I looked, how it's not what they signed up for. In just 45 minutes we all became FRIENDS and are sharing places to get lingerie! In just 45 minutes everyone was laughing and having a great time and connecting. In 50 minutes I am showing pictures of my pole wear when I started, the long tank tops the long SKORTS, I can share with them my story - how I was a professional with a job and how pole changed my life.

In one week most girls cam in with heels and funky shorts. I could see them embracing THEIR sexy and THEIR style. I would be so amused with the new clothes - everything from zebra print to holographic hot pants to light up "stripper" shoes to monokini's to plunging necklines. Each woman started to play with different pieces and you could see the transformation.

To me, clothing is VERY powerful in how we perceive it, how we wear it and how judge people in it. So just something to think about in regards to dress codes. If you're not into sexy - disregard this whole, verbose post. lol!
Dec 17, 2013 from Royal Oak, Michigan, United States
Cara Christina
Thank you all for your thoughts! I've always thought that at the end of the day it's the owner's decision how to run their studio. That being said, it's my decision if I'm going to teach at a studio that doesn't fit with how I like to pole. In addition to the dress code issue there have been a number of other things that have come together to convince me that my vision is just too different from the vision the studio wants to promote so I have stopped teaching there. There are no hard feelings and the owners were very understanding. I love the fitness side of pole but I also love the sexy side and I will fit better in a studio that has a better balance of the two.
Dec 17, 2013
Bob Zamora
I know I'm way late to this party. I was just reading other blogs on the Internet and ran into Claire's Pole Story blog post and link to this thread. Dress codes and rules that limit how we express our bodies and sexuality through dance are not for me. If you don't like my body or my artistic expression don't look. I do not want to be with people that need this kind of control over my life.
Feb 15, 2014 from Westminster, Colorado, United States
MD5677
So sad that so many women are ashamed of breasts, nipples, and vaginas. I am not taking a stand on the code. An owner is free to make that decision. It was just sad reading through this thread that so many women were or would be offended to see these parts of our own bodies. perhaps I am too jaded or forward thinking, but just how different could your part look from mine? For the most part a boob is a boob is a boob. How offensive could it possibly be to see something that a million other women have-including me! That said, I agree that from a sanitary and safety perspective, the amount and type of clothing should be a consideration.
Feb 15, 2014 from Maryland, United States
dancingqueans
I would never go to a stuck in the 20's dance studio. I need my skin to dance don't ask me to cover more up then a bikini covers. hell families go to the beach and see that much skin!
Feb 15, 2014 from Birmingham, Alabama, United States
sparrow
I just read your update (and the original post again) and I wouldn't be comfortable with the dress code there, either. I always liked to pole in bikini bottoms at the studio if I felt like it, and am so glad there was never a 'rule' against it (in fact it never even crossed my mind). Love the sexy side!!
Feb 15, 2014 from Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
FoolsErrand
I'm all for the minimal dress code too; looks great, feels great. But will women in class be uncomfortable (or--just as bad--amused) if it's a *man* who is wearing something tiny?
Feb 16, 2014 from Redwood City, California, United States
dancingqueans
depends how hot the guy is ;) im teasing. but yes :) lol
Feb 16, 2014 from Birmingham, Alabama, United States
Veena
That's a good question Fools! Personally, it wouldn't bother me, I don't know why it should be ok for women and not men. I think we are far to shameful of "skin" showing as a society and it's just silly.

Feb 16, 2014 from San Francisco, California, United States
I'm okay with both men and women wearing minimal clothing. there was another thread on here asking how we felt about co-ed classes. at first, I said I was okay with it as long as the studio kept some classes for women only. but you know, the more I think about it, the more I realize. I would never want a man to be turned away from a class if he wanted to attend. that's crazy! I just never encountered the situation. okay, I know that was off topic... I agree with Veena, we are too shameful of skin showing. People are offended by other peoples body and they taught to be shameful of their own body. its sad.
Feb 16, 2014 from California, United States
Pamfern17433
The girls who are saying they shouldn't be ashamed of their bodies are wrong. There's a time and place to show your vagina and boobs... And that's with your significant other. That's my belief and some reasoning why certain girls are saying they shouldn't be showing that stuff it's because they are modest not because they are ashamed, it's different. I don't want to see someone else's private parts... I don't understand why people wouldn't care if their vagina showed in class?? If it was an accident whatever but it's just common decency.... Some people blow my mind
Feb 16, 2014
Pamfern17433
I meant that for in a normal class but if it was an exotic class that would be different. I don't look down on strippers if that's what makes them happy then cool...
Feb 16, 2014
Veena
Pam, I don't think anyone said we should be naked in a pole class setting, not a single person suggested showing off your vagina or penis in class, what would be the point in doing that?
Feb 16, 2014 from San Francisco, California, United States
dancingqueans
a top and bottom is required. I have never seen a vagina or a nipple in class except once when the girl was upside down and her bra broke off. I think you misunderstand what we mean I wear underwear and a sports bra to classes nothing wrong with that.
Kate O
I think a sports bra and hotpants are totally fine - so long as I don't have to look at anyone's vagina I don't care too much. As for the original post, banning the brazil shorts is nuts - they're designed for pole, they're made to cover the important areas! Everyone has the right to wear what they want, but at the same time everyone has the right to not want some stranger's genitalia staring them in the face when they're trying to work out. I think well-fitting shorts should be encouraged - being partnered with someone wearing loose gappy shorts in a handstands class was extremely awkward. It's a difficult topic.
Feb 16, 2014 from London, England, United Kingdom
MD5677
Some would say being on the pole itself lacks "common decency". I long ago learned that there is no such thing as "common" so I don't judge those who prefer more coverage and I would hope to not be judged if my coverage differs from theirs.
Feb 16, 2014 from Maryland, United States
Charley
No one ever tries to show private parts but I can say without a doubt I've seen some nipple and labia in class. It's ok. It's just we don't always get to to test clothes, sometimes the clothing sticks to grip on the pole, whatever. I've had some wild experiences with this like the girl showing up in a thing for class but to be fair most people are trying to find shorts that work with pole. I have happy nipples that often like to peak out, lol! It's embarrassing. I once demoed the superman and my student replied "and the your nipple pops out!" And there she was when I looked down so I joked that's when you know you're doing it right. And jumped off the pole to fix it.

This stuff generally only happens in advanced classes because we need tiny clothes and lots of skin, there is bound to be exposure at some point.

On a funny note, I've been dealing with an ingrown hair that turned into a cyst that turned into a swollen gland. I've been rocking the 70's in my pants unable to shave and Drs aren't excited to remove it. I'm too afraid to mess with any hair removal as you can understand and wearing long shorts has sucked and even long yoga shorts don't do the trick. There have been a few times when my "third testicle" as I dearly call it has jumped out in pole since its on my thigh not in my business. It's very embarrassing and sometimes hair pops out,,ugh. My students have been so supportive, it's just a little pubic hair. No one wants to see it but if I'm demoing a straddle they get it, they avert their eyes from the horror that is my business, lol. I see the surgeon again tomorrow here's hoping he cuts that bad boy out and I can go back to my regularly scheduled waxing and tiny shorts.
Feb 16, 2014 from Royal Oak, Michigan, United States
dancingqueans
I personally know that as you advance in pole some moves require more skin and if I wear shorts I slide down and can't do the move I need some hip and a little cheek to show to get the move so fitted bikini style underwear is perfect for me. I didn't know people wore shorts to dance class until the 4th or 5th class I ever took when I got the nick name panties and I asked why. lol they told me they were wearing dance shorts I thought it was a different style of underwear hahaha. soon a bunch of the women followed suit and now that is the norm. I would never wear loose clothing to class. that's just asking to have issues! lol I feel so bad for you! staring at a womans or males genitalia does not sound like the pole dancing I enjoy hahahahaaa I can imagine the face you had on. did you tell her?

and a quick tip if a chick wants to make sure nothing shows. wear two pairs! works every time!
Kate O
No, I didn't tell her - my instructor was standing right there too and I think we both felt a bit awkward but tried to hide it. I think she was aware of it to be honest and just didn't care - turned out to be a bit of a strange person overall if I'm honest. But yeah any other slips that I've seen haven't been too bad, always minimal and accidental, God knows when I started my shorts were kind of gapey, but I was nowhere near going upside down at that point! I understand accidents happen but I think it's important that people aren't exposed to things they don't want to see as it can be uncomfortable, which is why I think thongs or other tiny underwear would be unacceptable, unless you were specifically going to a "sexy" class. But like I said before, banning the bad kitty shorts is just crazy! Nothing wrong with those! These are the ones you meant right? [www.badkitty.com]
Feb 16, 2014 from London, England, United Kingdom
dancingqueans
why ban those? those are full covering and have a wide genital coverage it looks like
Meg Smith
This is prob TMI but the other day i was messing around and decided it would be funny to give my other half a 'naked pole dance' - I would like to express it was purely comical..... (lets just say i took 'hello boys' pole move to a hole new level) ANYHOW..... lets just say it hurt, im sure you can all guess where!?!?!
So what i have learnt is you cant pole with you lady parts out so this whole discussions is just silly :-P as seen from my scientific evidence right there hahaha!

Ps - My pole is at home - No street poling was involved in this experiment.
Feb 16, 2014 from England, United Kingdom
Meg Smith
*pps. Would say wrong use of the word 'hole' but it works in that sentence hahaha....
Feb 16, 2014 from England, United Kingdom
ljsch59790
The studio I go to does not have a dress code. And I love it as it's the only place where it's completely normal and I feel comfortable to walk around in a crop top and booty shorts. Everyone should feel free to take what they want from pole. Looking around in my class and when we do solo performances there's a range of dances from sexy and sensual to theatric to contempory. Everyone should be free to enjoy pole in their own unique way and the clothing comes with this.

I wouldn't go to a studio that 'forces' any one perspective of pole (eg fitness only). let students decide what they want it to be.
Feb 16, 2014 from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
VanillaryPuff
I personally hate the idea of a dress code. Of course, good fitting sports attire must be worn - no gaping shorts, no "happy" nipples showing, lol. But more than that? Hell, no! Everybody should be able to wear what he or she likes.
I always LOVED how it changed what my students wore, over time. Level 1: shorts that must be rolled up because they are too long for a pole sit, and wide tops. Level 2: shorts that are just short enough, and tight-fitting tops. Level 3 and higher: shorts become more skimpy, (a little bit of) butt cheeks showing is not a problem anymore, and where have the shirts gone? Everyone's wearing sports bras only! :D
This shows how "brave" and simply accepting of themselves those girls and women have become, which is GREAT! And not only accepting of their own bodies. Many see that having different body types is totally okay, they learn to embrace their big butt or tiny boobs, or little potbelly. They see that all these things are nothing to be ashamed of, and nothing to be made fun of. They know that, because they can learn it in a save environment, where no-one is to be judged. I remember the day one very shy student showed up in booty shorts for the first time: everyone complimented her so much, she did not stop smiling for the rest of the day, I swear. She never wore anything else :D
Me, I seldomly wear shorts that don't cover my whole butt - but that's just because that's the way I like them. Anything less would turn into a thong sooner or later (as some other girls have experienced here), and I don't like the feeling of that ^^
Feb 16, 2014
VanillaryPuff
PS: I once went to a studio where everybody was wearing sooo much. I only had my normal pole wear with me (butt-covering shorts, a sports bra and a tank top), but the studio's regulars all wore long pants and sweatshirts or t-shirts until the moment it came to inverting. (Some did not even take their shirts off then.) I felt really nasty wearing so little among those fully dressed women!! I felt ashamed of my body, of my cellulite, that nobody else was showing, of my wobbly thighs. I have NEVER felt like that before, when everybody's cellulite and wobbly thighs were showing, too. It was like being the only one naked in a sauna when everybody else wears bathing gowns.
Feb 16, 2014
I definitely haven't seen anyone wanting to show their vagina or anything in class. Nor have I heard anyone here wanting to show these things.
Smaed1
So glad I came across this post.
I agree with, mostly, everything everyone has already said.
In MY pole experience... I, myself, do NOT feel comfortable in my body and will NOT wear skimpy clothing... I do not care at all what other people wear.. I don't mind "Fruit Cup" accidental exposures or the nipple pop. Doesn't offend me at all.
I have managed to work my routines and pole tricks around my full torso coverage.. I actually pride myself for being able to pull the tricks off, safely. I just do not feel comfortable without the coverage. (Low self esteem.. Etc., and apparently, from what everyone tells me, I have zero reason to feel uncomfortable.)
I've been pole dancing for just about 2 years and even though I've grown and have started to appreciate my body.. I love both "fitness" and "sexy" aspects of pole

Recently, my instructor upgraded some body parts (she is also a personal friend, aside from being my instructor) She has started wearing extremely skimpy clothes and I have to admit... Even this far in the game.. I kind of feel more insecure about my body when she has her skimp wear on. It doesn't "offend" me... But I can definitely understand how "new" people could feel self conscience starting out because even I do, sometimes.

As far as a "dress code" at my studio. There isn't one, but if there is a "Fruit Cup Flash" it's not the end of the world and it certainly wasnt the objective of the person exposing.

Earlier on in this thread, I'm sorry I can't remember who mentioned this, something was mentioned about the Olympics and pole. Personally, I don't really want to see it go in that direction. I like the small community, mystery and the part about being FREE and moving exactly as you wish. I think the Olympics would main stream pole too much. THAT being said... It would be nice for the general population to understand that "Pole Dancing" isn't a filthy- trashy "Thing"... The Olympics would help with that, I believe.

Ok- if you made it this far.. Thanks. Sorry I got off topic.

Feb 16, 2014 from Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Smaed1
PS- The only thing that I don't appreciate is Fruit Cup Juices... I think it's like sneezing in your hand and then trying to shake another persons hand. GROSS!
Have a gasket between your vagina and the pole, floor or chair. Nobody else needs to romp around somebody else's "stuff".
SANITARY.
The end! 😁💗
Feb 16, 2014 from Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
grayeyes Paid Member
@FoolsErrand What's good for the goose is good for the gander. I think the same rules should apply to the girls and the guys. If girls can go skimpy, boys can too.
Feb 16, 2014 from United States
Pamfern17433
Ummmmm wow I didn't say that either. I basically said we should make sure we wear clothes that would protect our private parts because it's not very professional and modest to have private parts popping out... I think everyone agrees. Jesus Christ...like in your videos veena you wear the right amount of clothing there wouldn't be a chance of anything coming out.If you wore a bra and underwear or a thong do you think most people would take you seriously?I wouldn't. God I can't even post my opinion without someone being rude to me I thought people on here were nice guess not!
Feb 16, 2014
Pamfern17433
I repeat... I think it's important to at least try to avoid pp coming out...that's it. And I'm sorry the whole point of a comment section is to post your own opinion I don't care about anyone else's opinion of MY OPINION. Especially a rude one. That is all....
Feb 16, 2014
Smaed- I never heard the term "fruit cup" hehe :) I like that. I'm gonna have to use that one.
Smaed1
Oh no PamFern... I hope *I didn't say anything offensive about your opinion. I had no intention of doing that, if I am who your last comment was geared towards. I'm sorry. :(
I think everyone opinions has a meaning and reason for them to have their own. I respect any and all.
I do apologize if that was me who upset you. :-/
Feb 17, 2014 from Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Smaed1
Lilredrobinhood- I also sometimes say "my fruit cup is now a smoothie", especially after some of those crotch pole contact moves. Haha! OUCH!
Smaed1
One more thing-
I used to teach Stott Pilates.. Some of my ladies would wear jogging shorts.. While seems fine, right? Well, when you don't wear panties and I'm working near your crotch trying to help your balance with your legs straight up and slightly apart.. The Fruit Cup exposure was in large quantities. Haha!
Veena
PamFern, you'll find that if you reply to something with a harsh and sarcastic tone others will respond in the same manner. We miss understood what your point was when you made your first comment. I think everyone here agrees that it's best to wear something that covers your genitals and boobs when in a pole class.
Feb 17, 2014 from San Francisco, California, United States
dancingqueans
I just changed my mind I want to do naked pole classes. just kidding. Im sorry if I sounded rude at all. hugs
Feb 17, 2014 from Birmingham, Alabama, United States
JenLFG
i don't think there should be a dress code IF it's a class with all women & a woman instructor, or all men & a man instructor. we all know the more skin exposed the better you can grip so that makes learning new tricks safer.
Feb 17, 2014 from Hiram, Georgia, United States
Charley
I don't think pushing a specific dress code will lower potential exposure but I think it could inhibit many women. Part of showing up in booty shorts and a sports bra is the self acceptance. It doesn't matter what your body looks like but how we feel in regards to it. I'm loving the comments made by many posters talking about their journey into pole appropriate wear. Day one we often show up in bike shorts and a tank top, we hide our bodies because we are afraid. I think imposing modesty requirements is stupid when you realize most women are too modest to wear the required pole clothing in the beginning.

A prime example of modest wear is the monokini, the monokini is a big culprit of nip slips because the fabric gets stuck on the pole and hello nips! I see part of my job is to teach what to wear and help clients maintain their desired level of modesty which means dealing with butt cheeks and nipples. Ill never condemn a slip here and there and am always available for clothing discussions.

Even in mixed gender classes I guess I just give adults enough credit to look away and understand. My breasts have popped out of sports bras before. I'm lucky enough to be able to test drive clothes before class
not everyone wants to pole for two hours before class. It's rare that anyone purposely tries to immodest. That's all I'm saying. We need to approach this subject with sensitivity.
Feb 17, 2014 from Royal Oak, Michigan, United States
Pamfern17433
Ok... So if everyone agrees like you said then there should be a dress code and there's no point to this whole post. Hahaha
Feb 17, 2014
Veena
Guys, don't feed the trolls...⬆️

I think this was a great discussion!
Pamfern17433
The only reason why I even commented on this post is because I saw some girls saying there should be a dress code and they were being critized and other girls saying "you shouldn't be ashamed of your body". I just don't understand why you wouldn't protect that part of your body coming out thus enforcing a dress code. I don't know that's just me were all raised differently....
Feb 17, 2014
Pamfern17433
Oh my god would you shut up already? You're the one who egged me on grow the fuck up you look like a child...and you have 4 children haha Your an unprofessional person and a bully veena. Guess no one is allowed to have an opinion and you were rude back so how does that make you better than me ✋
Feb 17, 2014
Veena
To my caring and lovely members, this is a perfect example of a troll.

Definition: An internet 'troll' is an abusive or obnoxious user who uses shock value to promote arguments and disharmony in online communities. Named after the wicked troll creatures of children's tales, an internet troll is someone who stirs up drama and abuses their online anonymity by purposely sowing hatred, bigotry, racism, mysogyny, or just simple bickering between others. Trolls like a big audience, so they frequent blog sites, news sites, discussion forums, and game chat. Trolls thrive in any environment where they are allowed to make public comments.

Continue with your conversation everyone. xoxox
Veena
I think it's a good idea for studios to post their students usual pole attire either on a website on the FQ section or in the studio somewhere. It could also be helpful if someone calls the studio, for the studio to mention what students typically wear, this way new people know what to expect. As VanillaryPuff mentioned being in a class with fully clothed dancers and being the only one who had shorts and tank can be uncomfortable too. Most people just want to blend in! I still think that saying a brand or particular style is not allowed is going a bit too far. Most of us have the common sense to decide if something is not going to stay in place, and often we figure it out! lol I've had to re-shoot lessons and video because one of my trusty tops or bottoms was just not so trusty that day! lol

I think as long as someone knows that a class is geared more towards sexy pole wear (this can be an important part of learning about your sexuality) then they can make an informed decision if that class is right for them.

I agree with Charley that implementing a dress code because a pole studio is hoping to promote modesty in pole dance is not necessary AND it disregards much of what pole can teach us about ourselves and our bodies. This is coming from someone who grew up in a home where taking a bath or shower naked seemed wrong!
Saphyre Paid Member
Holy crap. The troll better be careful! We are very protective of our Veena!! Let's be respectful! Hope you and Webbie have removed her from this site.
Feb 17, 2014 from Yorkville, Illinois, United States
azblanco
Trolls NEVER win.. And this is fact.
This was a great discussion :)
Feb 17, 2014 from New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Just ignore people like that. they want you to interact with them. they have very sad unfulfilled lives...
Feb 17, 2014 from California, United States
Pamfern17433
Look back on the comments. I clearly didn't offend anyone and veena was rude to me for no reason. I was merely defending myself...how is defending yourself being a troll? Lmfao. And actually I have an amazing and successful life people are allowed to defend themselves ;) but keep posting comments talking about me ladies I've gotten a real laugh at your ignorance 😂
Feb 17, 2014
Cocoa0
When you start a post with "The girls who are saying they shouldn't be ashamed of their bodies are wrong." you can't be shocked when people are offended. That statement is inflammatory. Perhaps you should choose your words better if you don't want to be perceived as a troll.
Feb 17, 2014 from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
chemgoddess1 Paid Member
Must.not.feed........must.not.feed........must.not.feed......
Feb 17, 2014 from Raleigh-ish, NC, United States
JoleneBell Paid Member
Yeah, Veena! You're such a bully! Lol that made me giggle
Feb 17, 2014 from Minnesota, United States
Invertedmonkey
Chem - you're better than me. I can't help myself from "feeding" even though I know it's no god...
Pamfern17433- someone who is sane and happy with their life wouldn't go on the offensive like you did with that post about Veena regardless if they felt they had been unfairly responded to. People have had different opinions on here before but someone with any sense wouldn't respond in the immature way you did, there are no excuses for that behaviour.

In response to the actual discussion; in my opinion people should wear what they're comfortable wearing to pole to get grip while as SToast said; full crotch coverage and no nipples. Don't mind a bit of booty though! I mostly go to pole at the gym and even there we don't have a dress code. I tend to stick to a covering sports bra (as my boobs would constantly play peekaboo if I poled in an normal bra) and shorts with varying coverage but def dont mind others wearing less!
Feb 17, 2014 from London, England, United Kingdom
VanillaryPuff
OMG Veena, I can't imagine growing up thinking being naked is something bad. My family always went skinny dipping, until I was a certain age ... then I would not join them (only at night ^^). But I am from Central Europe, and my parents are artists, so everything's different I guess :)
But back to the discussion!
When I still took classes regularly, there was a girl who always wore a regular bra, and once she inverted, everything fell out. She did not seem to mind (else she would have bought a proper sports bra) - or perhaps she did not notice (can that be?). Anyhow, nobody told her, everyone tried not to stare, and everything was fine. Nobody was being hostile toward her. Later on, she switched to a decent sports bra, anyway - so I guess she must have noticed it some time in her pole career. I have yet to be offended by boobies! (Or a bit too much crotch. Or pubes.) I may not like to see them when it's clearly unnecessary, and even less having them right in my face when spotting, but... yeah, they're just a person's parts. (For goodness sake, I have even been farted at by a girl who couldn't hold it when she was doing the Ayesha! She apologized, so ... no biggie!) We all have them, they should not offend anyone - as long as they shower regularly. If you are, just tell them. BUT If a studio instructor or owner adressed me for being to scantily clad, oh my goodness! I sure would pack my things and not return there to soon. Provided I actually AM fully dressed, with nothing showing of course!! - such as wearing well fitting Bad Kitty attire.
But, as I said, people are being brought up in VERY different ways, so ... what's normal for me doesn't have to be normal for you.
Feb 17, 2014
AnnVann Previous Paid Member
Maybe studios can have a few "Hard Core" (get it?) classes, where anything goes, lol! You couldn't say you weren't warned! In general, I agree that each studio needs to consider their specific clientele.
Feb 17, 2014 from Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Scarlett Honey aka Lola Grace
Hmmm I don't like the idea of a strict dress code, however I do think it's smart to be a little sensitive to how students feel about instructors dress. Some conservative students or beginners who are self-conscious of their bodies, might feel a little intimidated or embarrassed to be surrounded by women in skimpy/sexy outfits flaunting toned butts that they don't yet have. I mean, it might highlight their own inadequacies for low-self-esteem people. However it also might inspire those beginners by showing them what they could one day have; confidence in wearing sassy lingerie or whatever. I remember really enjoying the cheeky sexiness of what Bobbi's instructors would wear... cheeky butt (sometimes almost g-string/thong pants) with push up bras. That sexy look goes with the Bobbi's image - their style of dance is also kind of showgirls so it create a fun and adventurous atmosphere. However it's a studio that really pushed pole dance as a fitness and an exercise regime/workout, then perhaps yoga outfits/sports bras/short lyrca shorts would send that signal better. I think it depends on the studio's values and interpretation of pole dance and also what kind of students they have. Tricky tricky. Interesting discussion!
Feb 17, 2014 from Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Mary Ellyn
We don't have a dress code but mostly I have to work to get newer students to wear LESS than they want to when they first join.

On our website and in our welcome emails we tell students that they can start with long pants as long as they stretch enough that can pull them up above their knees to grip the pole with their lower thighs and knees.

As students get more comfortable or as they progress we encourage them to wear less explaining the need for skin exposure.

I think part of it comes from the instructor though. Not necessarily how he/she dresses but how he/she responds. If someone forgets her shorts, I will tell them to just dance in their panties if they like if no one has an extra pair of shorts to borrow.

If someone shows up with something cute and skimpy I will compliment them.

You can walk into a class and see everything from yoga/capri pants to skimpy shorts and bras in the same class room. You may see girls in cropped tops who have cellulite, tummy bulge or stretch marks.

It just doesn't matter so they all feel comfortable. I've yet to have anyone complain that they were uncomfortable with another student's attire.
Feb 18, 2014 from Chicago Heights, Illinois, United States
briarose8
I think it really depends on who your target market is and how you are running your business. I teach aerials with my dad and we focus a lot on teen and family oriented classes. Our students are more interested in circus type apparatus and we plan on doing a fusion of chinese pole and pole dance. We have been talking to an instructor who wants to teach pole with us and offer classes to our clientele (I am just beginning at pole and no where near comfortable instructing it). A dress code and labeling classes as "pole fitness" would be essential to marketing based on our business model. Our goal would be to open pole up and down play the sexy so it can be offered to a younger group and exposed to our existing students. I believe we plan on holding workshops that will be a lot less strict and focus on sexy pole dance but our main classes will be heavy on fitness and marketed as so. I think a lot of businesses could suffer from offering something misunderstood by the community to quickly and in the wrong way. I think this is the safest way to not put my business at risk and slowly educate the community on pole dance and what it can be. I live in a place that does not have much exposure to these types of classes yet. They have seen one side of it, I can show them the other and they can land in between at their comfort zone with home practice or other studio resources we provide them. That being said, I think if my studio taught lets say pole dance and burlesque and focused on women over 18 a dress code would be more stifling than helpful. In my opinion, it all depends on your business and your students. Not every studio fits every student and I think thats a good thing cause people can try out a few places and find a true fit. Just my thoughts :)
Feb 19, 2014 from Newark, Delaware, United States
quancutie23
it would be nice if there was a dress code. at my studio northwest pole fitness there is. its not a strip club its a gym we go there to work out not to be nude. i personally like going there because I can focus. I love woman they are beautiful and sexy clothes on and off. from a bisexual point of view ladies please cover up you titis and booty. i cant focus on the routine when there is soo much distraction. i swear i feel worst than a man sometimes.It's hard not to look and flirt. if its out im looking :) much love and respect ladies
Feb 19, 2014 from Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Quancutie- you just made me laugh! :)
Feb 20, 2014 from California, United States

Traceybatt
This is the best side splits warm up I've ever done. Really helps warming up the hamstrings and hip flexors before going into splits. Wondering why my instructors never taught us this!
more testimonials