StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions 50 + pole dancers

• 50 + pole dancers

Posted by Davedeeking9167 on June 9, 2019 at 7:35 pm

Hi. I’ve just started pole lessons about 6 months ago and have gotten stronger and am no longer slamming into the pole doing a perioutte. I just turned 50 a couple months ago and so wish I had found this when I was younger. I’m so hooked. I’m wondering…how realistic is it that I could actually become somewhat good at this? I’ve seen videos of greta portabella who is in her 70’s i believe but she’s not the average person. Am I wasting my time? Should I just take yoga or.something? Id like to get good at something since I’m putting so much time energy and money into this. I’d love to hear from other 50+ woman who are doing pole. Thanks a bunch.😊

ItsMamaK replied 4 years, 9 months ago 13 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • Davedeeking9167

June 9, 2019 at 7:37 pm

Gretas last name is not portabella… lol…

• Veena

Administrator
    June 9, 2019 at 11:07 pm

Hi and welcome!

I personally feel pole dance can be enjoyed by any one, regardless of age, size, gender or physical shape! My lessons were developed with all of these things in mind. If you enjoy something, it’s not a waste of time. πŸ™‚ Don’t worry about levels or learning every move, just enjoy the process and you’ll see how your body changes.

• Sarahb69

June 9, 2019 at 11:33 pm

I just turned 50 this past March. I didn’t find pole dance till just over 40 but I’ve loved it from day 1. I’ve had ups and downs over the last 3 or so years and I’m in injury recovery (non-pole related) and trying to get my weight back down, but I’m still learning and still loving it. I also teach privately and my oldest student is 62. She has come every week for the past 5 years. It’s totally not a waste of time!

• polegramma

June 10, 2019 at 1:34 am

Hi I started pole the year that I turned 60! It’s more fun than anything else, and definitely helps maintain muscle tone and flexibility. It’s also a great outlet for your sensual side!
    A few tips: warm up really well before each workout, be sure to do your strength building exercises (Veena has great routines for this), remember gentle stretches and foam roller for flexibility.
    Stay positive! Sometimes life just causes us to have a set back. Just keep going and you’ll have a wonderful pole journey. You are in the right place here for learning and community.
    PS I’m 67 now and still poling.

• Colleen Larson

June 10, 2019 at 1:38 am

I’m 56 and started at 50. My age is not a factor. I’m just as strong as the younger pole dancers. My struggle is that I entered this with no dance or flexibility training. (For example, I still haven’t mastered the splits.) I recently finished running a marathon. I’m an excellent runner. I’m just a so-so pole dancer. But that’s okay.

• Davedeeking9167

June 10, 2019 at 11:39 am

Wow…thank you so much ladies…this is encourageing. I want to be able to look and feel good on the pole. It all seems overwhelming at times since I’m still in the strength building/flexibility enhancing process. I won’t give up as I’ve noticed improvement in just 6 months. But wasn’t sure how realistic i was being at thinking I could get as strong as I need to be. Taking classes may be whats causing doubts in me because I’m the oldest in my classes. I go twice a week and need to recover the rest of the week lol…a good kind of sore though. And the bruises!!! Lol…but I love it. I think when I finish my Level 1 classes in going to just stick to Veenas online classes so I can go more at my own pace and focus more where I need to. Instead of havein g to.follow along with all those 20 year olds. It’s discouraging me. Thank you again all you lovely lady polers for your feedback and encouragement.

• Colleen Larson

June 10, 2019 at 6:18 pm

I do Studio Veena in conjunction with pole dancing classes at a physical location. And when I’m on vacation for months at our summer home in Canada, I’ll just be doing Studio Veena. So Studio Veena is a great source whether you take classes at a physical location or not. ~~~ As far as being older than everyone else in class, often that’s my situation. However, once you get your strength up, that won’t matter. You’ll be on the same level as them, or more, with regard to strength.

• Sp4c3Warrior

June 11, 2019 at 4:51 am

When you don’t focus so much on your age wonders happen. Age concept is so society conditioned. Let your mind and body be free from that conditioning! It’s NEVER a waste of time to do things that make you happy and healthy! I’ve just turned 54, I’ve been poling for almost 2 years, I also do aerial rope, hoop, silks and gymnastics and I have never been so strong in my whole life πŸ™‚ Keep flowing out of your age on the pole and good luck! πŸ™‚

• Davedeeking9167

June 11, 2019 at 10:22 am

Thank you for your encouragememt. I do need.to shift my focus. I’ve been surrounded by young beautiful girls and I felt intimidated and overwhelmed…I feel better when I just do studio veena at home. Maybe I should start a small group of 50 + woman to meet at my home pole studio once a week and train and have fun together. Then just take a class once a week with the younger crowd. I think I’d feel better.

• LatinPoler

June 11, 2019 at 10:11 pm

I’m 46, started poling at 43 I think. I’m not 50 yet and I totally get the struggle of feeling the oldest of the class, or that you could be the mother of all your class peers! As others said, you’ll probably need more warmup and longer recovery, but that’s OK. Also, listen to your body. Don’t do anything just to keep up if you don’t feel ready. Focus on what you can do or interests you. Maybe focus more on flow than crazy tricks (we are not Greta Pontarelli :-)) One good thing about pole is that there’s variety of options and styles… choose what works for you! And yes, if you like it and enjoy it, it’s worth it.

• Davedeeking9167

June 12, 2019 at 1:32 pm

Yes I definitely need a longer workout and recovery. I took a hammock class last night just before my pole class and that actually helped. Today I slept 10 hours from all over body soreness but it feels so good LOL…the body was definitely made to move and use our muscles. The endorphins are worth the soreness. I’m only 3 classes into level 1 so I expect this soreness now. I know I’m in the strength building phase. You hit the nail on the head…I feel like the class mother haha. Everyone’s doing cartwheels. I haven’t done a cartwheel in over 30 yrs !!! I’m a certified personal trainer. I’m thinking I should get certified in beginners pole and hammock too so I can teach the 50+ group. Thank you for your support. I really appreciate it.

• hookedonpole

June 13, 2019 at 5:48 am

Welcome to StudioVeena! I am 63 and also started at almost 50. Even though I wish I’d found pole sooner, it am happy and surprised what I have accomplished. I loved it from day 1 that I never gave my age a second thought. It’s important not to compare yourself to others and doesn’t matter if you don’t get what others do or how long it takes. ENJOY your pole journey and each accomplishment will be exciting. StudioVeena is the right place for learning and support. Please share your journey so we can happy dance with you. πŸ™‚

• Davedeeking9167

June 13, 2019 at 1:14 pm

Thank you everyone so much for your support. I definitely am too concerned about my age. It’s definitely because of the classes in in with 20 year olds. I will make a.conscious effort to focus on myself instead. You ladies are all awesome!!! So glad I found studio veena.

• julies30307171

June 15, 2019 at 11:02 pm

Hi hun,don’t worry about the age thing I’m 56 and again the oldest in the class and love it.the girls are great and I must Admit I even play a bit on the fact I’m menopausal and forget everything!! My pole buddy is exactly 30yrs younger than me and I call her my pole carer.just remember it’s ok to get tired and take a bit longer to learn some things than the young ones that’s just normal life.its exactly the same as nights out..when your in your 20’s you can party all night and go to work the next day,in your 50’s it takes forever to recover!my granddaughter has even been to class with me and taught me to do handstands.
    Just enjoy the classes,and be proud of yourself!!!!!

• Colleen Larson

June 16, 2019 at 4:35 pm

I have as much (or, in some cases, more) energy than the younger women in my classes, but I *can* relate to not being able to remember things. In other words, it’s hard for me to remember routines when I’m first learning them. I always need the instructor to call the moves out as we do them. I attribute that to age!

Page 1 of 2