Online Voting

Mary Ellyn
I want to throw some thoughts out there.

Yesterday, and again this morning, it was quite obvious that votes suddenly escalated in all 3 categories over a very short period of time. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think this is how Wendy and Anna wanted this to be decided since they obviously put some methods in place to prevent this.

Does anyone else feel we are belittling our field by turning a competition into a popularity contest?

Does anyone else feel it insults the hard work of those contestants who qualified for a competition when someone gets in because they had more friends voting for them?

Would YOU be comfortable competing on stage next to these women who worked so hard if you weren't in the same skill level as the rest of them?

How would you feel as a contestant at this competition if the winner was chosen based on audience cheering or text messaging or even some system of audience voting like they do on some of the shows? Wouldn't you be insulted if Suzie Smith won because Suzie had more friends in the audience than you did?

How would we feel as a pole community if that were the method of choosing a winner?
Sep 6, 2010
reenie aka Mysfit
I witnessed something very similar to this a few months back when a friend of mines daughter made it model finals.
There were 18 girls.....The general public was encouraged to vote online for their selections.
However, I who only voted once-watched the other girls-votes jump up by thousands within hours.
I don't know if it is possible to have some sort of program speed vote like that but I still found it bordering on "cheating" when it started to become a popularity contest as opposed to the girls being judged based on themselves.
Now, granted modeling is not the same as poling, but the people voting have the same intent.
People should be judged by their presentation not by how many people they know on the internet or have access to some bot type program that will speed their votes past their competitors.

I am off to watch the 3 videos as I didn't even know they were up yet..............

reenie
Sep 6, 2010
mrsdelaney
I agree that something is amiss here. One of the videos is from a girl in Connecticut. Why is she a finalist for West Coast? Second, she applied for the East Coast competition and didn't get in. I thought that the rules stated you could only apply for one competition.
And yes, the video should be 2-3 minutes, but she's not the only offender. Why have rules when they don't apply to everyone?
And I do see posts from people stating that they will vote for their favorite girl on every different computer that they can find, which is unfair, and totally cheapens the whole competition. I am quite dissappointed in this whole thing.
Sep 6, 2010
Mary Ellyn
I want to be clear that this is not questioning the ethics of the USPDF and is not intended to be a controversy about how the competition is run.

Not everyone will agree with every organization or event but the USPDF has pretty well established itself as a reputable and respected one within the competition circuit.

I'm asked questions of the community itself...what WE are doing.
Sep 6, 2010
Charley
There are a lot of pole comps that rely on online voting - pole superstar and IPDFA both do/did. I think the objective of online voting is to get the Community to choose who is the best dancer. I think judges get a lot of flack unfairly by those who don't get in and their friends/supporters that some organizations chose not to be the bad guy.

There are more than 12 great pole dancers, there are more than 50 great pole dancers! I can't imagine what it's like to have the pressure of choosing competitors. I have so much respect for judges and comp organizers.

I think online voting is good if everyone votes fairly and for the person they honestly feel is the best and don't let bias get in the way. It's important to vote once and vote fairly - if we all did this then we as a community would have a voice

BTW - please vote for polefit in our popularity contest
[wdiv.cityvoter.com]
Sep 7, 2010
AliciaPolerina
Hi everyone, I don't want to cause any problems here, but it's making me really depressed that everywhere I look people are picking on me and only me. It's like the story of my life. About my video length, I got a new camera, and when I upload it to Windows Movie Maker, it wont play or work, so I couldn't edit it. Only judge me on the first 3 min then, thats what I figured USPDF would do, because I was told they don't watch past 3 minutes! Plus I've seen MANY other videos that were accepted into competitions that were way over time limits. Plus I wasn't planning on entering, but I was convinced by my family last minute to enter, just for the hell of it. There is nothing in the rules saying you cannot enter both, plus I'm apparently not verry popular because everyone seems to be against me. I'm sorry I entered and I'm from Connecticut, but in the EMW competition, on the West Coast there were contestants who lived on the East coast too, which made me think it was ok.

I'm sorry you all don't think I'm good enough to be a contestant, and that I can't keep up with the others, that really hurts, because I work my ASS off learning pole, I've never had a teacher, I had to learn trial and error alone. I practice almost every day, plus I'm tall and not super skinny I'm actually over weight, which makes me have to work really hard. I don't know what video USPDF would have picked if there was no voting! And I didn't make the rules! All I know is I work very hard and don't see why people have to say I don't deserve it. Soooooo many times I have lost at things, and I think I deserve a chance to compete, and give it my all just as much as anyone else does, and think it's unfair that everyone is saying I don't deserve to be in. :*( I thought we were all supposed to cheer each other on and support each other, not say hurtfull things. I feel like crap now.
Sep 7, 2010
Charley
None of my comments were directed at you or about you hun! i think you did great and I have seen others go way over time limits - so don't worry about that - it happens, movie maker sucks!

I do think it's good that the community gets to speak their mind as long as we all do it fairly

I am proud of everyone!

AND...I thought regionals were just national qualifiers so it didn't matter which coast you signed up for - there's a west coast girl in the East Coast comp - I don't think it matters.
Sep 7, 2010
Mary Ellyn
Raquelle Star...why would you say that "everyone is picking on you" or that anyone "doesn't think you're good enough to get in"?

You said we "all" don't think you're good enough and I think that's a pretty unfair accusation to make.

If you read my comment I started with:

votes suddenly escalated in all 3 categories over a very short period of time

Note that I said "all 3" and I did not say any one of the 3 competitors didn't deserve it. What I don't care for is turning this into a popularity contest. I'm certain EVERYONE who has entered has put many hard long hours into their training and no one person deserves it more than any other for that reason, but because they are simply performing better than others.
Sep 7, 2010
minicoopergrl
Empy I can see where your coming from with this. I think when it becomes a 'let the public decide', it naturally becomes a popularity contest. Ive experienced that when I would run for things like student council in school. If you werent the popular one, then you were out. But then again think about the American Idol or Americas Got Talent, they are both highly rated shows that rely on viewer vote. But from the things ive heard, its not really a mass vote (I read somewhere that on AI, they will restrict calls from those voting where the person is from). I do like the idea that they gave the pole world a voice on who should get into USPDF.

As for voting where you can, I look at it this way 'if I was her entering, wouldnt I want people to help me as much as they could to get me in'. I always think as much as I help others, it will come back to me one day. If you were the one waiting to be picked, wouldnt you want your friends to help you out in every way they could? As much as I wanted to help RaquelleStar get in by attacking every computer at the dealer to get in a vote, I didnt. Quite honestly, I got slammed with work and really didnt have alot time to tell my coworkers about the USPDF vote.

As for the timing rule, there are alot of submission vids that went passed the mark - not with USPDF but also EMW too. They are only looking at the time frame they ask for, they could care less what you do after 3:00 mark.
Sep 7, 2010
miss fern
I want to step in a play the devil's advocate here.

Excluding of course the situation where someone cheats the system and gets masses of votes by repeatedly voting for themself from different IPs or something... doesn't the fact that hundreds of people are willing to vote multiple times imply that these people think whoever they vote for is good enough to get in?

Of course some people are likely to support their real life friends, over people they have never met, even if the other is more talented. Also, some people are likely to support the underdog, assuming that the shining stars will be okay, and don't need their votes. Neither of these are "proper" reasons if you think the only valid reason to vote is based on skill. But I think they are good enough reasons.

We are pole DANCERS therefore our personalities, our stage presence, our costumes, our music, our appearance - they ALL matter, as do our routines, moves, tricks, technique and other things.

It's not about who can hold onto the pole the longest, or can climb highest. It's about who entertains and impresses us the most, and who we like watching the most.

If we were trying to see who could lift 40kg the most times, sure, you could say a popularity vote was cheating. But when you are picking the best performer, popularity is already intertwined - IMO anyway.
Sep 7, 2010
Mary Ellyn
Ive experienced that when I would run for things like student council in school

I agree but I also have to say this was when we were kids...I would hope a national competition would be more respected than this and I'm sorry but if my best friend was terrible at pole dancing I would not vote for her.

wouldnt you want your friends to help you out in every way they could?

I can quite honestly say no. I would not want to be on stage if I didn't match their skill level. I wouldn't want to beat out others who deserved it just as much as I do because of unfair voting. I'm certain ALL 3 of these women want this just as badly as the others.

If we were trying to see who could lift 40kg the most times, sure, you could say a popularity vote was cheating. But when you are picking the best performer, popularity is already intertwined - IMO anyway.

Valid point but let me say that you actually pointed out that I was not expressing myself correctly. My concern is then not about who is the most popular but about how many votes skyrocketed in a very short period of time in the early morning (or late) hours.

As I said...it was just something to think about and there is no absolute right or wrong in this situation. I guess it's just about personal beliefs and what you think is right or wrong.
Sep 7, 2010
chemgoddess1 Paid Member
All I will say is that I am very surprised that they opted to go this route after the fiasco that was Pole Star.

And, no, I am not voting.
Sep 7, 2010
AliciaPolerina
I honestly haven't even been watching the polls and I really just want it to be over with. I feel like you are suggesting that either a.) I'm cheeting, which I'm not because not only am I an honest person, I'm a computyer moron! And b.) Your saying whoever wins doesn't deserve it if they win by popularity. So basically, if I were to win, I'm not tallented enough to share the stage with the others, because my friends voted for me even though I'm apparently a "terrible dancer"? I don't know if I'm just taking it wrong but it seems all the crap comments are toward me! Why don't I deserve it? It seems this whole thread was started to bash me. I want to say thank you to those who support me and stuck up for me I really appreciate it!

It just seems like everyone else trying to achieve they're dreams gets support, but people just want to bring me down. Guess what, its not working, its only making me stronger, and I will prove that I deserve to ahcieve my dream!
Sep 7, 2010
Mary Ellyn
Raquelle...where did I name you? Please read what I wrote and don't turn this into something it is not!

Quoting myself here:

votes suddenly escalated in all 3 categories

Why are you trying to turn this into something between you and I?
Sep 7, 2010
Mary Ellyn
OK...on second thought. I am backing out of this topic as it is turning into something different from what I started and that is very disappointing to me.

Anyone who knows me or even knows OF me knows that I am fair, ethical, and honest. I'm not going to get dragged into something I don't care for, so I've made my point and anyone who READS what I wrote will see that.

Best of luck to all 3 contestants.
Sep 7, 2010
AliciaPolerina
I'm not trying to start any drama with you believe me! All I said was it seemed like you were implying those things being directed toward me, I don't even know you, why would I want to start anything with you????????? It just seemed to me that all the negative comments were directed toward me, not only here, but on facebook and whatever, I'm done trying to defend myself all the time, I give up posting here, thanks for your support
Sep 7, 2010
amy
raquellestar, i know that you feel like you're in a tough spot, but take a step back and breathe girl!

YOU sent in a long video, and YOU aren't from the west coast. but, the USPDF judges selected your entry as one of the semi-finalists regardless, and didn't clip it to 3 mins, and didn't say that you couldn't enter west and east coast, or that you had to be from CA to enter. so YOU didn't do anything wrong. your worth as a dancer or an artist has nothing to do with what other people think or what USPDF thinks.

that being said, the issue that empy has raised is a valid one. and while i believe that audience participation is fun, it isn't the way to make sure that the contestants in a competition uphold the standards and quality of movement that the competition purports to promote. if the contest is one judged by audience favorites, then fine, but then you have to realize that you're selecting a winner based on who happens to be in the crowd that night. if some of the contestants are being selected by the audience, but the judging is happening without audience participation, then-- why? do they truly have as good a shot at winning as the people who were selected straight off by the judges in the first place? are they competing for "a spot" or for the "twelfth" spot? if i was a competitor, i'd be sort of about that.

i think it needs to be very clear from the outset, with every competition, how the competitors are being judged. is there a number system where points get added up to give an overall score, and if so, what does a judge's scorecard look like? what are they rating?

we, as competitors and observers, need to make sure we:
-respect the way that the scoring has been thought out
-think that the scoring will create an environment of fairness in judging metrics that we think are important
-support the organization that puts in that effort

because how can you have a fair competition, ever, if you don't know how you're being scored? and as someone organizing a competition, how can you not have that transparency?
Sep 7, 2010
BACE16
All I will say is that I am very surprised that they opted to go this route after the fiasco that was Pole Star.

What happened with Pole Star? Might help with some perspective on the online voting.

Edit: Went statistic finding. At the time of this posting:
Competitor / Votes
Shelly Lamb (38.4 %) / 333
Wendy Rust (14.5 %) / 126
Alicia Heaney (47.1 %) / 409

Shelly Lamb(happydance) and Alicia Heaney(RaquelleStarr) have Vote for Me threads on this forum.
Sep 7, 2010
Charley
YIkes - I don't like to get into Pole-itics but with Pole Superstar - that was a different kind of comp based on online voting. I would really hate to be Barbara Dial. It's not fair how much negativity she has gotten over winning - she personally has no control over who votes for her and she won! We should be happy for her. All of those dancers in that comp were amazing, they all trained hard! No one was there that didn't deserve to be and just because you might have thought another person was better - it's a matter of personal opinion. I'm sad that we as a community did not show more support for Barbara. She worked for it and she earned her chance to be there and everyone knew it was going to be an online vote. no one says Marlo didn't deserve 2nd.

I do think popularity will naturally intertwine with comps - especially when it comes to fan favorites...that's a great point. I think it's great the community is given a voice.

There isn't a dancer involved with any of of these comps that doesn't deserve to be where they are, however I think Empy's point was more generalized as to "how do we as a community feel about voting?" How does this effect our community? Do you like it? Does it cause negativity or positivity? No one was saying ANYONE did anything wrong or that any organizations did anything wrong.

I think Empy was trying to discuss the system - or atleast that's how I took it. USPDF has taken measure to keep the voting as fair as it can be and I am really excited that they have reached out to us and given us a chance to help decide.

Now everyone HUG!!!!
Sep 7, 2010
Veena
I know first hand what if feels like to be talked about in what can easily be viewed as negatively on a public forum. It's really isolating and makes you feel sick

RaquelleStarr, you didn't do anything underhanded or wrong. If the vid with the most votes gets a spot, of course its going to turn into asking friends for help and support!! Hugs to you.

If we don't like the way something is run/handled, then let's address the issue with that person, or business. Don't enter their comp if you don't like how they handle things....don't support/give money to an organization if you don't like how they run things. Its pretty simple. IF you have your own personal studio or "cyberspace" to publicity post your thoughts that's a great way to get your feeling across.

STUDIOVEENA WAS CREATED AS A PLACE OF POSITIVE SUPPORT FOR ALL WHO LOVE POLE.......when posting a new topic think.....does this HELP bring the pole community together if the answer is YES then go for it!
Sep 7, 2010
minicoopergrl

I had that thought as well.
Sep 7, 2010
descalzada Paid Member
OK...on second thought. I am backing out of this topic as it is turning into something different from what I started and that is very disappointing to me.

Anyone who knows me or even knows OF me knows that I am fair, ethical, and honest. I'm not going to get dragged into something I don't care for, so I've made my point and anyone who READS what I wrote will see that.

You raised a valid point.
What we see these days of TV audiences voting on "talent shows" is very much about "voting early & voting often", and this has become such a pervasive approach that no one even considers that validity of it. And that is a sad statement on a democratic society.

Beyond that, we individually have to cope with our own excitement, and bias, and resultant enthusiasm for some one with whom we may have established a relationship. That probably won't change, but we certainly need to temper that with the ethics of voting.

This was an experiment on the part of the hosting organization, and it will be interesting to hear how they felt about their experiment when the final decision is made. In other competitions, organizers were accused of favoritism, and in this one the organizers tried introducing some element of democracy, and that has created controversy.
It's still a relatively new sport, so there's a lot of learning for all. What I have observed is people trying to do their best, with the best of intentions, and the sport is growing by leap and bounds and spins! We look at Olympic figure-skating, and hear the accusations of favoritism, nationalism, and cheating judges!!!

This was a worthwhile experiment, this is a worthwhile thread, and we've all had something to learn from it.

Every competition has several Veeners competing --- who do we cheer for? --- ALL of them!
Sep 7, 2010
chemgoddess1 Paid Member
I do not think that Empy's original post was anything but opening up a conversation about this type of voting. It is sad the direction that the thread has taken. And yes, I do think that the intention of the thread was for the good of the community. How else will others who plan on hosting competitions get input from those of us that are actively involved in poling?

I also do not think that any post at least that I have read was intended as harmful. The east coast dweller in the west coast competition is a valid question. I doubt that many knew that where you live does not come into play. Again, helping the community that may want to compete in USPDF. I know that the Midwest competition that is being held next year specifically states must live in the Midwest, just as East meets West was specifically that.
Sep 7, 2010
yogabeachbabe
Raquelle, maybe take a step back for a second. NO ONE criticized your talent (which is the gist of what competition is about), NO ONE accused you of cheating, and NO ONE is trying to bash you or bring you down. I think we want everyone to succeed in their dreams and goals, as well as wanting the art/sport of Pole Dance to expand athletically and artistically. I think that Empy started this thread so we can all think for ourselves about what competition means. It was in no way directed as an attack on you. Another member asked questions about the rules regarding east coast/west coast and the length of the submission video. You told us very clearly that your vid camera/editing was broken. I think everyone knows that now and gets it. It was also brought up that there are no rules about which regional you can submit for. I, personally, am not such a fan of viewer voting, but I get the feeling that USPDF is trying this so that more regular people can feel like they're more involved and kind of participating in the event, as well as exposing "friends" who may have never seen pole dancing at this level before. I, for one, am not able to attend either regional and I am never going to compete in either regional. Yet with the viewer voting, I do feel excited about it and I want to know more! I don't think that anyone feels that you don't deserve to be in the competition. I would hope that the fact that you are one of the three would boost your self-esteem. I know this is going to sound harsh, but: you might be the only one who feels like you aren't good enough, and frankly, if you don't feel good enough, even if you win the title of Miss USPDF 2010, it's not going to prove it to you.
Sep 7, 2010
Veena
Dez...This was a worthwhile experiment, this is a worthwhile thread, and we've all had something to learn from it.

I think the original post was fine.....its great to talk about these things. The problem comes in when we start using examples.....even if no names are mentioned it still is VERY personal to the one who knows its them. Think before you post.....and I'm not directing any of my posts to anyone person but all the members who use the site. This is a highly trafficked site and just because someone has never commented or posted here doesn't mean they aren't watching...

Sep 7, 2010
jayjay125 Previous Paid Member
so much food for thought here... personally, i kind of like the fact that uspdf chose 3 finalists from whom the public could choose the 12th. i find it fun. and you know what? even if it IS somewhat a popularity contest at this stage, so what ? all 3 of those girls have something special to offer !

and while an open discussion here about the idea of online voting is a great idea, i have to say i didn't feel good about the tone of some of the statements. yes, let's talk about this stuff. yes, let's have preferences. it's all ok so long as we're keeping in mind that sometimes when we write something, it can come across harsh, whereas if it was spoken, the message might sound completely different.

i didn't particularly feel anyone was being bashed, but then again, if i were reading a community forum and KNEW i was being referred to, only not by name, i might feel a bit defensive about it...

i dunno girls..... i just want us all to play nice together !
Sep 7, 2010
Charley
so much food for thought here... personally, i kind of like the fact that uspdf chose 3 finalists from whom the public could choose the 12th. i find it fun. and you know what? even if it IS somewhat a popularity contest at this stage, so what ? all 3 of those girls have something special to offer !

and while an open discussion here about the idea of online voting is a great idea, i have to say i didn't feel good about the tone of some of the statements. yes, let's talk about this stuff. yes, let's have preferences. it's all ok so long as we're keeping in mind that sometimes when we write something, it can come across harsh, whereas if it was spoken, the message might sound completely different.

i didn't particularly feel anyone was being bashed, but then again, if i were reading a community forum and KNEW i was being referred to, only not by name, i might feel a bit defensive about it...

i dunno girls..... i just want us all to play nice together !
"like"

One cool think about online voting is we get to participate and it builds excitement!!!! I am really excited for all 3 girls and I can't wait to see the outcome!
Sep 7, 2010
amcut
Raquelle, you totally had a fit when you didn't get picked for the East and said that everyone's style was similar compared to your unique style. That's ballsy, and while you didn't DIRECT it at anyone, it could be perceived that way, and it could hurt someone else's feelings so you totally cannot come in here with hurt feelings because you chose to perceive this post negatively. Yes, you are talented enough to share the stage with whoever else. Wendy and Anna picked people who could definitely compete. You are a talented pole dancer.

I'm pretty sure the part about the sharing the stage was in reference to Voters Only Competitions. Like if I competed, and was a naughty Cam Girl... and I posted a video with an envelope covering my junk and said, "everyone who votes for me gets a video of this junk, right here". And then I was all set to compete with Alethea Austin 'cause I showed my junk to a bunch of boys who wanted to see my junk. It totally doesn't work in this case, where the finalists we vote for are still chosen by W&A. We're talking about the DIRECTION of Online Voting in regards to pole competitions.

How you feel about it, how popularity fits in. Personally, I'm not a fan. I trust W&A to give me the best pole competitors- and I know that there are plenty of great pole dancers who would not win through online voting- just because elements of it are popularity based.

ESPECIALLY in regards to phone and text messaging. I wanted to rain fiery death on America when Kris Allen defeated Adam Lambert in American Idol. FIERY DEATH.

None of it made sense. I was livid. I'm still livid. I would hate to feel that way about pole dancing. I would hate to want to rain fiery death on the pole community.

As it is, I think we're fine, so long as this doesn't ... become a trend.
Sep 7, 2010
mrsdelaney
My sincerest apologies First, My post was not meant to hurt or attack anyone personally. I do not know any of the competitors nor do I judge them, but like others have said, by making references, though not directly, someone could take it to heart and get hurt. Second,if I was wrong about being able to apply to all the competitions, I am sorry. I should research the facts before questioning. I thought my points were legit, but I should have worded them differently.
Sep 8, 2010
DanieBooty
I can definitely understand where Raquelstar is coming from after reading certain posts within this thread ..

With that being said .. GOOD LUCK ALICIA AND THE OTHER TWO CONTESTANTS!! ..

(and girl if I ever see you say you're overweight again .. I'll smack you silly!)
Sep 9, 2010
Kobajo84
Ok, this is a little off base- but where are you people finding these videos and voting? I've obviously been out of the loop on this one. It's hard for me to keep up and know what competitions anyone is talking about these days because there are so many.
Sep 9, 2010
EVamp83
Lol, koba! It was on the uspdf website, but it now says 'voting closed'. I'm not sure if the vids can be found anywhere else...?
Sep 9, 2010
Kobajo84
UGH...Ok, so I looked at the uspdf site and no where do I see anything about the 3 people everyone in this thread was referring to about the numbers and such. I don't see anywhere that these people are even in any form of this competition. I looked all over! I don't even see the "voting closed" thing either. I think I'm on the wrong site???? I am so confused. Can we start referencing these threads with the appropriate links for people like me that are too caught up in life to be bothered by tedious searches? LOL. Thanks.
Sep 9, 2010
EVamp83
http://uspoledance.com/poll/vote_pole_dance_video.php

you can click on 'view results' on that page
Sep 9, 2010
Kobajo84
http://uspoledance.com/poll/vote_pole_dance_video.php

you can click on 'view results' on that page

OMG, THANKYOU!!!!! Dang, I'm a day late. I'm feeling like the neglected step child here in the Midwest. ::sigh:: Maybe if we Midwesterners were recognized in some form of the competition I wouldn't be so clueless as to what was going on.
Sep 9, 2010
Mary Ellyn
Actually Kobajo....our very own Charley IS going to the east coast regionals in October!
Sep 9, 2010
Kobajo84
I knew Charly was going but that still doesn't count. It's not MIDWEST. LOL. We are so neglected.
Sep 10, 2010
Kobajo84
I meant "Charley"- I was just browsing and theres actually a user name "Charly" too. I forgot the E. Goodness, this could get confusing.....
Sep 10, 2010
Mary Ellyn
You mean HOLDING a competition here in the Midwest? I'm in the midst of planning one for for next summer!
Sep 10, 2010
Charley
I'm going to try to be a good midwest representative at East Coast!

Empy's comp is going to be great because it's limited to Midwest and South Central USA - so we get on the map too.

Don't forget Alethea is a midwest girl too
Sep 10, 2010
Mary Ellyn
I still consider you our first Midwest rep...Alethea trained in Cali and I think Be Spun would consider her "their" rep at the competition. She is definitely a "Heartland" girl at heart though!
Sep 10, 2010
glitterhips
I have to agree with Veena on this one, if there is a problem with the way a competition is being run it should be taken up with the competition organizers, not posted on a public forum where several of the girls in question are active and going to see the discussion. I know no one was called out by name but if I was involved in the voting and I saw this thread I would have a hard time not taking it personally...it doesn't seem very supportive to call out girls who have worked hard to get their videos selected by USPDF and talk about all the competitors not being on the same level, if USPDF selected their submissions to be voted on then obviously they think these girls are worthy of competing and it's not any of our jobs to question who does or doesn't have the ability to compete because it's not our competition so why is it turning into such a problem? I think it's pretty uncool we work so hard for people to respect us as athletes and performing artists but we have no problem being unsupportive to each other. I know for the most part everyone here is awesome and supportive but it seems like this thread was totally unnecessary and has caused hurt feelings whether or not people were called out specifically or not.
Sep 13, 2010
hooooooo doggies ! now this is gonna get a weeeeee bit more interesting, i think.....

not sayin i have all the details, but if i look at things as they are right now, the uspdf site shows voting closed with alicia's video getting over 52% of the vote. however, shelly is the 12th finalist... don't get me wrong -- i don't begrudge shelly her spot one bit !! i just don't know how the math added up. if there were other criteria used besides the online vote, i didn't see it published anywhere....

things that make me go hmmmmmmmmm
Sep 13, 2010
amy
i dont know what happened with the voting, but i'm assuming the delay in announcing the winner means there were some sort of technical difficulties? i checked the votes late the night that voting was supposed to be closed... and there were over 10K votes recorded--which seems mighty high if you ask me!
Sep 13, 2010
RoxyPink
i dont know what happened with the voting, but i'm assuming the delay in announcing the winner means there were some sort of technical difficulties? i checked the votes late the night that voting was supposed to be closed... and there were over 10K votes recorded--which seems mighty high if you ask me!

I agree! Is it possible that the could "un-count" votes from outside the US?
Sep 13, 2010
descalzada Paid Member
Where are the 12 finalists listed? I'm not finding it.
Sep 13, 2010
Where are the 12 finalists listed? I'm not finding it.

uspdf says the 12 will be listed soon.....
Sep 14, 2010
Kobajo84
You mean HOLDING a competition here in the Midwest? I'm in the midst of planning one for for next summer!

Yes, Empy, I meant the Midwest division in the USPDF competition. Like East coast has their comp and west coast has theirs then they take all those people and have one big competition. Why don't we have our own USPDF comp to add to the big one?
Sep 14, 2010
Mary Ellyn
I would love to host a USPDF comp. However this is going to be our own Midwest comp...separate and different from the USPDF.
Sep 14, 2010
Kobajo84
Keep me posted!!! I'm only in Indianapolis!
Sep 14, 2010
yogabeachbabe
I'm sorry to open up a can of worms here, but what happened in the voting???? The last time I checked, which was probably a couple of hours before voting "closed", Alicia had the most votes by far. Now they've announced that Shelley won the online voting. Please note that this post is not about talent of the dancers in any way, shape or form. I thought the dancer with the most votes was supposed to win. Anybody have a clue?
Sep 17, 2010
Veena
Hmmmmm I don't know This is why online voting can be tricky.
Sep 17, 2010
amy
i mentioned this once already in this thread, but the last time i checked the votes, which was super late at night, tehre were over 10K votes recorded--which seems VERY high to me. i think they had some kind of technical glitch, hence the delay in annoucing results as well.
Sep 17, 2010
Mary Ellyn
This was my point in starting this thread...NOT complaining about USPDF or the people that run it as some kept inferring. My gripe was not with the people setting this up or with the competitors themselves.

Something was wrong...either people were pushing their votes somehow through the system and voting more than once or found some way to break through the system...or maybe the system was accidently multiplying vote counts.

I never saw over 10K votes but I did see the numbers way over a thousand each at one point...then the next day they were back down.

I also saw two of the counts went up by nearly 300 counts EACH in less than an hour at one point!
Sep 17, 2010
i still don't mind the idea of online voting in certain circumstances. it is unfortunate that this event came off with appearing to have a boatload of technical trouble

given that this is what happened, how can anybody REALLY know who had the most votes ? hmmmmm again
Sep 17, 2010

TropicalVertical Paid Member
The rotator cuff stuff is exactly what my chiro told me to do: he is going to be so happy I'm looking after my shoulders and building strength safely on both sides :)
more testimonials