StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions supplements…..

• supplements…..

Posted by gatita14 on August 27, 2014 at 12:56 pm

What do you take ….a while back i was into mma and read alot about muscle building…wondering does fish oil…CLA really work to help burn fat and build lean muscle

gatita14 replied 9 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Runemist34

August 27, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Personally, I take supplements because I know I am iron deficient, and it helps me maintain the level of nutrients I know I require in a day… because I recognize my diet isn’t always awesome (though it is definitely getting better!) My go-to right now is Carnatian Instant Breakfast, because it’s chocolate(ish) and I can drink it fast. It’s actually encouraged me to start eating in the morning, as well as providing my iron and other needs in a much more effective way for me.

I’ve seen, heard of, and learned about a lot of different ways to build muscle, lose fat, and all that jazz. I’ve also seen doctors change their tune over the decades, I’ve seen the inception of BMI into our culture (which I wholeheartedly disagree with), and I’ve heard about very, very many different kinds of diet and “weight” loss exercises.

My advice? Learn about YOUR body. What does it respond to? Do you prefer strength training, but see huge results (the kind that you want) from cardio? Is there a way you can enjoy both, or combine the two? What sorts of foods make you feel best, and what sorts do you feel you need more of?

The science around these things is constantly changing, and it’s difficult to get a handle on what is “the best” because it can be the best for one person, and for another it could be the absolute worst… and for most, it’s somewhere along the spectrum.

• WebJunk

August 27, 2014 at 3:04 pm

There are no supplements that burn fat. Sorry!
    Fish oil I take, but it has more to do with inflammation. I take quite a few vitamins but that is because of deficiencies due to advanced Crohn’s disease.

• chemgoddess1

August 28, 2014 at 5:13 am

I beg to differ with the above comment, however the one combination that had been proven the most effective has been removed from market. All others that have mimic-ed it have also been removed.

Most fat burners have a combination of stimulant and appetite suppressant. There are studies that support their claims, but typically those are very different amounts than what companies add to their mixes. I go through cycles with them, not for the fat burning but for the energy. Sadly, many that are on the market now are a waste of money. Others make people jittery and then cause a crash; neither which are beneficial to most people.

The supplement game is not something where it is a one size fits all deal. I have been plying with it for almost 20 years and let me tell you, it can get expensive. I have a few things that I come back to when I get a bug up my butt or I feel a certain way for an extended time frame but I have found those are the things that work for me. I have a completely different set of items that I buy for my husband.

If you are looking for general information I might suggest going to a site like Swanson Vitamins. You can search a specific target and find supps that are supposed to help. Even the BB.com store site is pretty decent, just stay away from the forum as it is difficult to weed through some of the garbage that is there. It all comes down to experimentation, time and money.

• Polebull

August 28, 2014 at 6:52 am

I have been a physique competitor for almost 20 years (fitness, figure and bikini divisions in the NPC) and I know from experience that the right combinations of foods, cardio and hard core training beat supplements hands down for building muscle and burning fat. Unless, of course, you are using anabolics and diuretics, which I DONT recommend!
    I’m 46 years old in this picture and took a protein supplement and L-Glutamine for muscle recovery (along with daily vitamins of course) during this contest prep. That’s all!

• WebJunk

August 28, 2014 at 10:57 am

@Polebull
    To be honest, looking at your picture you need…….Nothing.

I also take only protein shakes & glutamine (plus Super-B Complex) after a workout and shakes in the mornings. Have for years but also more recently my doctor & dietitian also have recommended the shakes and my vitamins which were based on blood tests. It is important to note that even with vitamins, there can be too much of a good thing. While B vitamins & C pass through the system. Other vitamins stay in the system and can build up to toxic levels. These can cause serious health problems including organ failure.

There are some that believe anything that supposedly improves the immune system has got to be great. As someone with an autoimmune disease (Crohn’s disease) I can tell you firsthand, the last thing I and millions of other people need is an improved immune system. In fact, the last several medicines I have taken do the opposite and reduce the effectiveness of my immune system. Crohn’s disease is an immune system overreacting and attacking a portion of the GI tract (my small intestines) even though no infection or reason exists.
    Autoimmune diseases are among the ten leading causes of death among women in all age groups up to 65 years. Just an FYI.
    But go ahead and believe the advertising. It has worked well in the past. For those doing the selling…

• Tigerschic041721

August 28, 2014 at 1:23 pm

@gatita fish oil is one of the best supplements for anyone to take for the health benefits although it won’t do much for weight loss on it’s own. It helps with brain function/cholesterol/bp/inflammation also skin/hair/nails but if you are looking for the weight loss aspect might be better to get this in the form of diet as in you’d be eating an extremely lean protein (fish) that would in turn be replacing a food option that’s not as “clean” and therefore notice weight loss by cutting out other “unclean” foods. You’d still get the same benefits of the supplement version if you eat enough of it during the week. CLA has shown to help reduce belly fat but again you won’t notice much (and especially not quickly) unless paired with the habit of healthy diet and regular exercise…that’s really what it all comes down to. PS I’m a vegetarian so I get these in the veg friendly version if I’m going to supplement 🙂

• gatita14

August 28, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Wow Thanks everyone for your input…. ♡