StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Yoga Hammock help

• ChicagoPoler

September 11, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Veena – I just purchased and installed a FlyGym system in my pole room at home. 2 eye bolts in the joists… Easy Peasy. 🙂 Also goes up and comes down with carabiner clips which is really convenient! Hope that helps…

• ChicagoPoler

September 11, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Veena – I just purchased and installed a FlyGym system in my pole room at home. 2 eye bolts in the joists… Easy Peasy. 🙂 Also goes up and comes down with carabiner clips which is really convenient! Hope that helps…

• OzarkSiren

September 12, 2012 at 12:09 am

I love my Hammock/sling. I bought mine from Aerial Empowement. I believe Hope the owner of AE is a Veener also. I bought a single point so if I want to do spins I can.  I love love love mine and definately would buy from her again. I bought a Royal Blue one : )  There is Single Point and Double Point.  I chose Single.

I was told a weight appropriate Eyebolt into a ceiling Stud/Beam could be used and that is what I have done. I also use the Swingset at the park and public school to hang my hammock/sling. It does best at 10 feet high. I hook my carabiner to the eye hook and I also have a "sling" that I can wrap around something higher and then hook the Carabiner to the sling.

When it comes to hanging Silks it would be great to use a Professional Rigger for instructions. That is great if you have one near you.

There are the apparatus' you can purchase. The one I like can handle 20 foot Silks and also Hammocks but is 1200. That is on my wish list.  The FlyGym which was mentioned earlier. There are several options out there. Or you can go with your own Ceiling if high enough.

Hope that helps.  XXOO

• valerie98

September 12, 2012 at 5:31 am

I am looking to buy one as well. I was looking at the Omni Gym Yoga Swing. They sell a stand also. I would love to have it however, I need to save up! The swing with the stand is a little expensive.

• Miraine

September 12, 2012 at 8:43 am

There's full kits for sale at various places online, but if you want to source the individual bits separately to get it cheaper that could work.  Here's a list of what you need for a fairly standard setup:

About 16 feet of approx 72" wide "pongee" fabric.  That's a guess, but I can check it for you, I don't have mine at home at the moment.

Two karabiners of the type that are wider at one end (this makes tying the fabric more secure)

Two "daisy chains" to give you the ability to change the height of the hammock easily.  Not essential, but really useful.  Like this: http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN31075

Two standard safety karabiners.  These clip the top of the daisy chain to the ceiling mounts, then the egg shaped karabiners with the silks on go in whichever hook on the daisy chain brings it to the right height.

The ideal mount for the hammock is two fixings on the ceiling about 50cm apart.  So long as they go nice and solidly into a load bearing joist that will be fine.  A "load bearing" joist is about 9" deep, that's the type that you'll have between floors.  I say this because if it's an attic above that isn't intended for regular use, it might only have shallow joists (since it only holds up the ceiling below, not furniture and people above).  If that's the case, reinforce it just to be sure. 🙂

Sorry for the wall of text, hope it helps 🙂

• SwirlyGirl

September 13, 2012 at 9:18 am

Hi – I used to teach Anti-Gravity Yoga and really enjoyed it. I wouldn’t recommend buying their kit due to price but you can check out Air Cat Aerial Yoga in CO (www.aircat.net). They have kits for all different types of setups and also offer Instructor training. I did the Anti-Gravity Certification which my previous studio employer paid for. It’s a perfect compliment to pole – works out the kinks and stretches you in a great way!!

• SwirlyGirl

September 13, 2012 at 9:18 am

Hi – I used to teach Anti-Gravity Yoga and really enjoyed it. I wouldn’t recommend buying their kit due to price but you can check out Air Cat Aerial Yoga in CO (www.aircat.net). They have kits for all different types of setups and also offer Instructor training. I did the Anti-Gravity Certification which my previous studio employer paid for. It’s a perfect compliment to pole – works out the kinks and stretches you in a great way!!

• Veena

Administrator
    September 13, 2012 at 12:35 pm
  • azblanco

September 13, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Am i sensing lessons for this is the future? Wow that would be such a GREAT addition. I want to buy one! I really would like to buy silks but I do not have the space or ceiling height. So an aerial hammock is next on my list in a few months

• byrdgrrl

September 13, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Do you have a yard?  I have a portable rig that goes up to 20 feet tall I use outside. It can be set up shorter too for hammocks.  It was a bit pricey, but in my opinion totally worth it.  I can set it up myself without a ladder in about 15 minutes.  

• Veena

Administrator
    September 13, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Byrdgrrl, I plan of getting something for outdoor use…the weather is just great here so it would be nice! I have to wait on that for now though. Where did you buy yours?

I decided to go with a studioveena member Hope Banrion McCurdy for the hammock! If anyone else is interested here is her site. http://www.aerialempowerment.com/aerial-store.html https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

• byrdgrrl

September 13, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I have a Zen Swing Suspendulum.  If you go to aerialdancing.com, Rebekah has a link to the site.  Scroll down the home page a bit and look under "free standing rig".

• OzarkSiren

September 13, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I use Rebekah's teaching manual to learn from. Her teaching manuals are great. 

• Lyme Lyte

September 13, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Veena, FYI, I clicked on the link and it said, "page does not exist".

• Dancing Paws

September 13, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I am SERIOUSLY considering that Omni Gym! It's just what I need for my apartment!

Page 1 of 3