StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Where does your pole live?

• Where does your pole live?

Posted by Allgold78 on August 10, 2014 at 11:41 am

My pole lives in my living room. No-one in the family minds it being there but because I’m still quite new to pole I’m quite self conscious and not really happy to practice in front of everyone. This means I have to practice in the day – when I should be working!! Sooooooo, I’m interested to see where everyone has their pole and how they fit in their practice time?

tiggertail replied 9 years, 7 months ago 32 Members · 35 Replies
  • 35 Replies
  • Runemist34

August 10, 2014 at 12:25 pm

My pole currently lives in my bedroom, as it’s the largest space I have! I actually feel a little strange just going “Okay, I’m going away now to play music really loud and pole dance.” But, no one seems to mind!
    I’ve had my pole in my living room, my kitchen, and the “computer room” before, too.
    One of my favourite times was my first pole, in my living room. It was a stainless steel, and it was known as my “stealth pole,” because literally NO ONE noticed it for at least half an hour of being in my house, unless they specifically knew to look for it. They would just go around it, not even thinking that they were adjusting the way they were going. And then, some time into their visit, they would suddenly look at it as if it had appeared by magic in that moment, and ask “Is that a stripper pole?!” To which, of course, I would respond “Yep!”

As for finding time to practice, I understand feeling a bit self-conscious. However, I think part of that is the fear of public “sucking.” We, as a culture, are afraid to show failure, vulnerability, effort. We value effortlessness, natural talent (which is usually depicted as being able to pick something up and do it almost perfectly int he first go), and polished performance! So, showing people our failures, our “struggling faces,” and our effort seems to be something that they will be able to pick at, something that we’ll be ridiculed for.

The reality is, though, that if we show the world our effort, our struggles, our fighting face, they will respect us more! People seeing how many days and hours and attempts you try a move, over and over, without giving up, can celebrate with you! Especially since you’re new, and have a lot to look forward to!

I actually love to share my pole dance with people who are around. I got my roommate into it, and every now and then he used to (when it was in our previous living room) just start doing crazy things on it, without my prompting. It never failed to get me back on the pole, too!

• remiaou

August 10, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I have mine in my bedroom now. I used to have a separate room for it, but I just moved to a new apartment without any spare rooms. I like having the privacy, but unfortunately there is limited space, so I can only do small spins or tricks that aren’t blocked by the wall. I’m living with a roommate now, but I’m sure when I get my own place years and years from now I’ll probably want a big room just for pole! I don’t think my roommate would mind if I had it in the living room, but I still prefer the privacy as well when I’m learning new things (since it’s hard to look graceful when you’ve never tried something before!). For me pole placement right now is a matter of space versus privacy. Since I’m usually at my studio, where there’s plenty of space, I decided to keep the privacy with my pole at home.

I go to the studio most evenings, so I usually set my home practice time in the evenings as well if I can’t make it to the studio that day. I mainly use my pole at home to fit in bits of strength training throughout the day; I’ll do pull-ups/crunches for just a couple minutes every now and then instead of committing to a definite practice time. It’s definitely far from a workout, but that way I don’t have to get changed or set aside a lot of time while also getting in a little bit of conditioning. I also like to fit in a few spins when I’m just passing by!

• WebJunk

August 10, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Right now its in my Living room. Have had one in a spare bedroom and my own bedroom. The problem with my own bedroom was one night I woke up at 3:00am and had to go to the bathroom. I walked right into the pole. OUCH!!! That is when it was moved to the living room.

• sassylina

August 10, 2014 at 3:52 pm

mine is in my bedroom. I wanted one in the living room but my ceilings are to high. I normally practice in the evening. or in the morning if I don’t have to work.

• WebJunk

August 10, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Ceilings too high? Mine are too low at 8′. At some point my pole will live in the garage because of high ceilings.
    Where ever your pole lives, Hope you feed and clean it regularly.

• Pretty Pixie

August 10, 2014 at 5:07 pm

My pole is in my garage. While it’s nice having a semi dedicated space, I’m jealous of those with room for it in a living room or bedroom. Every time I pass it, I play a minute and I know I’d have a lot more opportunity for that if it was inside! Generally I schedule my practices, but yea, if I get a chance to do a little something in between, I do!

• MeganJoan

August 10, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Right now it’s in my boyfriend’s dining room because I’m here to recover after foot surgery and neither of us have dining tables. The ceilings here are nice are high, which is lovely!

Usually it’s in a spare room at my place. I made sure to get a three bedroom place specifically so I’d have a spare room for it. It’s lovely, except the ceiling is low. I have an xpole and it requires no extensions in that room at all, so I can’t practice climbing at all.

In my old house it was in the dining room of an open plan apartment and people would notice it. I had a friend who loved it when I had people over because he could lean while still being in the middle of a room and he always commented on how great it was haha

We’ve just applied for a place together and it has a downstairs living area with floor bloods and a high ceilings which I have already put dibs on. We were always looking for a place with two living areas so I could set one up with pole(s), a floor area and the second TV for lessons. It’s gonna be rad!

• Alyson

August 10, 2014 at 10:08 pm

We just moved to a new place in May and while house hunting I SPECIFICALLY searched for a house where I could make a sweet pole/stretch/work out room. I have a whole room for it now 🙂 I must admit, I’ve been having a blast decorating it. Still a few more improvements can be made, but I’m pretty proud of it. Pictures (I’ve attached one) don’t quite do it justice… it’s so much sparklier in real life and the strip lighting along the floor actually changes color. Love my new pole room! I only had a 425 Sq ft apartment before so I’ve been dreaming of this for YEARS!

• SerenityS

August 10, 2014 at 10:12 pm

My pole is in the spare bedroom right now because I am selling the house and I thought it would not be good to have it in the living room with people coming to look at the house, I do have a desk in the way of big spins so that has to go, can’t have anything in the way of my pole.

• Alyson

August 10, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Damn. Apparently I don’t have any pictures that actually shows the whole room. The walls aren’t that bare anymore… I’ve since added a huge mirror and some pictures. I also put up a white board near the mirror so I can write down tricks I wanna try.

• happystace

August 10, 2014 at 10:15 pm

In the middle of my living room…the only place I can’t see it is from my bathroom! I have to roll up the living room carpet to dance, but it’ll have to do for now as it’s the biggest space I have!

• pole cat diva

August 10, 2014 at 11:12 pm

In my 2nd bedroom. There is nothing in there except the wardrobe. A very good location except I have to place the pole beside the ceiling light (which is very big) so it’s very off center and close to the wall. So I have to be careful not to kick into the wall during spins and some tricks. Lucky I’m very petite, I do not have long legs 🙂

I find that i learn faster if i practice on my own. Maybe I’m too conscious. I feel so unsure of myself when i practice with those higher levels students around. So i get my own pole and practice in the comfort of my home. I only go to the studio for my lessons.

• x falcon 3 0 x

August 10, 2014 at 11:59 pm

My poles are in the bottom floor of my house and I’ve turned the rec room into my home studio. I called dibs on the room before we even bought the house, especially since I’d be paying the mortgage 😉 The ceilings are short though. I pole about 2x a week in my studio and go to classes once or twice a week. I need to get a mirror but I have Swedish bars, a Fly Gym, and other workout props. I have pix of my room on here. The 50mm chrome pole has been replaced with a 45mm Studioveena Lil Mynx pole

• Lydia Addams

August 11, 2014 at 1:27 pm

I would love to have room that’s only for my pole, but for now it lives in my bedroom. I used to have it in my old living room because that was the only room big enough. But it never fails, there’s always a stupid ceiling fan in the way!
    My boyfriend also has one living in his bedroom so I can still do my Veena lessons when I stay over. 🙂

• AmyLyn

August 11, 2014 at 9:42 pm

My pole lives in the basement since the ceilings are 9′ and I have the most room for spins. The pole room is also the kids’ playroom, which means I only get to practice when they’re sleeping or not home. They actually incorporate it into a lot of their games and have learned climbs, inverts and make up their own spins. I have been running a dehumidifier all summer to keep from slipping off the pole- my pole was in the garage at my old house and it was too humid in the summer and way too cold in the winter (I live in Minnesota)

Page 1 of 3