StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Twisted Grip Ayesha question

• Twisted Grip Ayesha question

Posted by Mhoney on August 25, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Different people call this move different things but one thing is the same- my torso is not at the right angle- it is too close to the pole! I know it needs to go out and my legs need to push down and I will have better balance that way but I freak out when I’m in the hold and can’t seem to make my body do what my mind is telling it to do. My teacher shows me and shows me and describes it and I just can’t seem to get my body to cooperate. It’s actually harder the way that I am doing it. Any tips are very much appreciated!

https://www.studioveena.com/photos/view_photo/53670efd-579c-40d4-8c88-0bda0a9aa0eb

Black Orchid replied 9 years, 7 months ago 9 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • RobynPoleDancer

August 26, 2014 at 6:57 am

Look up at your knees

• angel6101

August 26, 2014 at 7:20 am

From the caterpillar position where I’m assuming your starting the set up have you tried going from your knees locked around the pole to straightening your legs so your pushing back and cupping the pole in between your ankles? It’ll give you security still but get you to push back more so you can find your sweet spot. After that you need to tighten up that core and really sit your straddle.

• Veena

Administrator
    August 26, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I would suggest using a split grip instead of twisted.

• Jenn1989

August 26, 2014 at 3:29 pm

I struggle with split grip when inverted, probably a strength issue. Do you think chin-ups are helpful in building strength for that hold? I just got a bar last week and have been working on them, but I’m not sure if it’s the same muscle groups.

• Lina Spiralyne

August 26, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Having strong lats helps for ayshas, handspring etc, so chin-ups isn’t a bad idea.

• Mhoney

August 26, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Thanks Veena. I know the twisted grip is not ideal. I’ll try split grip. My pole at home is 45 but the one I take lessons on is 50 so I sometimes have issues with hand grips on the bigger pole and at home I’m afraid to do it alone without a spotter.

• Veena

Administrator
    August 27, 2014 at 12:53 pm

To strengthen for Inverted Split Grip moves, work on

Caterpillar climbs. Shoulder Press. Handstands. Lateral Pulls and yes, pull ups. You can find lessons on all of these things here if you have questions 🙂

• Rylonn

August 27, 2014 at 7:05 pm

And also, I agree with Robyn, look up, not at the ground. Your body goes where your head looks, it’ll help your balance

• Cuwoody

August 27, 2014 at 8:16 pm

If you don’t already have an elbow grip Ayesha, you may want to try it first. I can do an allow grip Ayesha and straight edge but struggle with split and twisted grip Ayesha. I always fall to the side with those grips, but can balance fine with the elbow grip. The split and twisted grips put your center of gravity In a different location than with the elbow grip.

• Black Orchid

September 6, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I am working on the TG Ayesha /Handspring out of an inside leg hang ( Dragon? Bat?) and am def having trouble finding my balance once I pull out into the TG pose. I can do an extended butterfly but start falling once I get both my legs out. I think Im sitting too far back but I’m also not used to being so close to the pole, as opposed to being in a tripod from an elbow grip. Any other tips?