StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Touching Your Toes To Your Head

• Touching Your Toes To Your Head

Posted by Piaketz on March 16, 2012 at 2:02 pm

So touching my toes to my head is one of my new biggest ambitions in life. And I mean doing this from the back ok, not the front… I posted this on Facebook, and I was surprised that a bunch of my friends want to do this too!!! It looks so freakishly awesome, I love it. I'm still pretty far, I think my toes are around a foot away from my head, but a girl can dream big, right! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

How many of you can do this? What stretches can one do to work on this? I've been trying to stretch my back to gain more flexibility by doing cobras because bridges/wheels make me dizzy and I don't know why. Are there other stretches that can do this? Should I work on stretching the front of my thighs too? How?

Any advice much appreciated in advance! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif

aliceBheartless replied 11 years, 7 months ago 14 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • dustbunny

March 16, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Veena just released a back mobility routine if you have her lessons!  I want to be able to do this again too, when I was little I could touch my toes to the end of my nose!  I remember thinking it was no big deal…damn it sure seems like a big deal now!

• ORGANIC ANGEL

March 16, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Yay, I can do this:)

• Miraine

March 16, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I don't get why anyone *wouldn't* want to be able to do this 😀

Bridges will likely make you dizzy until you're stronger and can hold them with less tensing all over, which gives a rush of blood to the head.  There's also an element of getting used to it, I found them awful when I started doing them, but can hold for 45 seconds now without exploding, lol

Cobras are a good place to start though.  Be aware that a cobra stretch on the elbows stretches the mid back, and with arms extended works on lower back, if you're doing it right.  It's not quite a simple as "more extended arms = deeper stretch".

There's also "kitty cat" stretch up against a wall, which looks like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/131619/Picture%202.png

That helps with upper back flexibility and shoulders (more flexible shoulders = easier bridges, and also easier to reach back and catch your feet!)

Definitely work on your thighs and hip flexors too!  That makes a huge difference, because with the length of the leg from hip to knee, a tiny change in angle makes quite a big movement of your foot.  Pigeon pose is great for this. http://portlandmainechiropractor.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/pigeon-pose2.jpg

First stretch the back hip flexor, then lift the back foot from the floor carefully (you have a lot of leverage, don't overdo it) to stretch the quad.  Lower your foot gently when you're done.

Since you're a poler, you also have the necessary prop for this stretch, which is basically working directly on the whole foot to head thing anyway: http://api.ning.com/files/VrO5RvCgXCBs-Mz9uOp0mWY9AoEbo1ykSVWiW2neaRvmA7*Tk-iYZ0UFDwrsztnxUd-Y1fgXBLmGAsVejn6k3HM*BJ82ObN*/20111024_2.jpg?width=737&height=553 (please excuse shortened link, it was just silly).  Kneel infront of your pole, put one leg back, and prop the foot up against the pole.  Then reach up and back to the pole with your hands, and walk them down a little if you can.  I guess you can do this in doorframes too and so on.

Good luck 😀

• Miraine

March 16, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Ah botheration, for some reason the clicky link on that last one decided to include the next part of the sentence too.  It should be: http://bit.ly/yykrkL

And the others didn't turn into links anyway.  Whoops.

• Dancing Paws

March 16, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I used to be able to do this…then I went to college while doing office work…then I workied in a lab…no back to the office. All that has KILLED my flexibility. Now I am miss stiffy-kins. Toes to head has become one of my goals as well!

• Elektra Vallens

March 16, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I too have been trying to get my toes to my head for a while now.  The back and hip flexors are the main areas that need to be flexible- Veena's back routine and the pigeon pose are great suggestions.  If you can't reach your foot with your hands yet, try using a yoga strap.  Good luck!

• SashaMae

March 16, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I also started with the pigeon pose. I show how I stretch for it in this vid. Starts around 2 mins I think. Is this what you mean??
    https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/4dfffaee-d708-4675-b3ac-509d0ac37250

• Veena

Administrator
    March 16, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Yep I just posted a routine that can help you reach this goal 🙂

• Piaketz

March 17, 2012 at 5:21 am

Wow, such great info, everyone! Thanks!

Miraine, I really like the way you explain. Good stuff! 🙂

Veena wow so cool I feel like I got the answer to my prayers right after I asked haha!

• heathalynne

March 17, 2012 at 8:03 am

Yes and I love being bendy! I can touch my head in king pigeon, king cobra (if holding the pole), and full camel. And recently, forearm wheel, I was able to grab my opposite foot and touch my head but with assist. I’m still working on king cobra without the pole.

With wheel, it helps it you push up VERY SLOWLY and release VERY SLOWLY. That’s a common problem I see. Pushing too fast and the dizziness. Also helps to release your lower back by hugging your legs in and sway side to side.

• Piaketz

March 18, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Ah no wonder! I go up really quickly when I try the wheel. Thanks for the tip Heathalynne!

• MissMeliss

March 19, 2012 at 12:56 am

Thank you Miraine! Shall be doing your ones in but a few minutes! 😀
    I seem to have pretty decent lower back flex- naturally and from doing straight arm cobras. Never tried the bent arm ones, shall do that! My shoulders/upper back are HORRIBLE at flexy. Ergh. The pain! Have only started stretching them this month though. Eep.

• Cantetinza17

August 23, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I'm pretty bendy in the back, but my legs don't bend that well, so I have to use a yoga strap in pigeon.

• Crystaljng

August 24, 2012 at 3:28 am

It is one of the biggest challenge for me as well. When I started to work on this I was not even remotely close. I started to work on my back with a stretch partner . I progressed so fast with the help. It has only been 4 weeks last night I was able to walk my foot down on my face from behind!! I still can’t believe this. A good stretch partner really makes great difference

• Cantetinza17

August 24, 2012 at 11:46 am

Stretch partner huh?  What did they do to help?

Page 1 of 2