StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Short-Waisted Body Types and Rib Injuries?

• Short-Waisted Body Types and Rib Injuries?

Posted by AmazonLady on November 24, 2012 at 11:12 am

So I'm more than a little bummed.  I believe I fractured a rib… AGAIN!  This time, it was while practicing a jade in class.  The last time I fractured a rib was maybe 6 months ago while learning to do a yogini.  I fractured a rib maybe a year before that while learning to do an inside leg hang.  I never went to the doctor for any of these injuries because the pain was only moderate and it didn't affect my breathing at all.  Although I never got a formal diagnosis, I'm pretty sure it's a fractured rib or some type of rib injury (not just muscle soreness or a regular bruise).

I'm assuming these injuries are due to improper form, especially when learning a new move.  Instructors always say to make sure the pole is in between your hip bone and your ribs, not ON your ribs.  Well, that's a little bit easier said than done.  No matter which way I position myself, I feel like the pole is putting pressure on my ribs when doing a jade or yogini.  

I worry that my body is just not built for these moves and I'll never be able to do them without injury, since I have a very short waist.  The space between my hip bone and the bottom of my rib cage is only about 2 or 3 fingers wide, which is smaller than most standard poles.  I don't see how I could possibly fit a pole in that space.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of someone that has?  Where does the pole fall when you do these moves?  Any tips or pointers on how to do these moves without getting injured?  I wish I could post a video or photo of my attempt so you guys can let me know what I'm doing wrong, but obviously I can't because of my injury.  Any feedback is appreciated.  I'm super discouraged right now.

gbugs77 replied 11 years, 4 months ago 13 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • ARoulette

November 24, 2012 at 11:58 am

what size pole do you work on? Have you tried the smaller poles?

• ARoulette

November 24, 2012 at 11:58 am

what size pole do you work on? Have you tried the smaller poles?

• AmazonLady

November 24, 2012 at 12:24 pm

@ARoulette:  I have a 50mm at home and use a 45mm at the studio.  Those are the only two sizes I've tried.  🙁

• chemgoddess1

November 24, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I have a very short waist and have never cracked a rib.  Have you had your bone density checked lately (ever)?  It should NOT be that easy to crack a rib.

• luvlee

November 24, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I have a very long torso and have hairline fractured a rib twice from pole. I do not think the size of your waist has anything to do with it.

• AmazonLady

November 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm

@Chemgoddess1: No, I haven’t. I didn’t think that was even a concern until I got older. Ive never had problems with my bones before now.

Maybe I will go to the doctor and see if there’s something wrong with me.

• Krissykiki

November 24, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I have a ridiculoursly short toro! I have like half and inch between the botton of my ribcage and the top of my hip bone. I find it affect moves like the twiste Ballerina as there is less of me to wrap around the pole but I haven't had any issue with rib pain from the Yogini,gemini, teddy or jade. But I agree if you have been injuring your ribs its a good idea to see a doctor.

• Dancing Paws

November 24, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I bruised a run recently (I think.) it was sore for about two weeks. It was from going straight into an inside leg hang from an invert. The space between my ribs and hip is very small. To avoid hitting it, I always go into an outside leg hang first, then into a jade or inside leg hang. It is easier for me to position the pole correctly in an outside leg hang then transition. I also cannot use a 50. It hits my rib everytime!!!!

• amy

November 24, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Hey miss! I took a quick look at your photos to see what your body type was– looking quickly at your inside/outside leg hang pics (gemini/scorpio) you definitely are not holding the right form, which is causing your entire ribcage to line up right next to the pole. You need ot drop your back leg WAY more (aim for a leg that is parallel to the gorund when you keep the entire leg super straight), which will tip your hips and should help to lift your chest off the poel, so that the pole is in a different place along your ribcage. if you are trying to go into a jade from that leg hang position, you will DEFINITELY be hurting your ribs! 

here are a few blog entries that may help:

Gemini- http://aerialamy.com/blog/2011/09/27/tuesday-tips-gemini/

scorpio- http://aerialamy.com/blog/2011/10/18/tuesday-tips-leg-switches-scorpio/

Jade- http://aerialamy.com/blog/2012/01/10/tuesday-tips-jade/

Hope that helps 🙂

• amy

November 24, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I've got about 2-3 fingers distance also 🙂

• TinyDancer04

November 24, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Omg YEEEES!!! I have the same problem with jade and ribs!!
    I am 5ft and very short waisted. I tore my intercostal muscles (the muscles inside the ribs) about 7 months ago and I get pain any time I practice jades… It’s very frustrating because it’s such a beautiful and impressive move. My theory is I pulled them from the twist action involved in getting a flat jade. My new mission is to achieve over splits instead of relying on the twist action to provide a flat jade… So frustrating tho!!

• pegasusaerialfitness

November 25, 2012 at 8:28 am

I broke two ribs last year…either on the jade or allegra. (I have a very short distance between my hip and ribs too) I think a short waist and low flexibility will interfer with some moves…but when I do the jade the right way it is not on my ribs…I have to go into a pike position first to help the pole get as close to the hip as possible. So the Pole is really snuggled into the meat of my inner thigh and push into the nook right above the hip. I use a 45. 

Good luck…breaking you ribs three times seems like a lot. 

Happy Poling

• JeHanne

November 25, 2012 at 9:54 am

All this rib breaking talk makes me cringe! AmazonLady, do you need to see a doctor for evaluation and treatment? I hope you feel much better soon and am sorry you are having so many rib injuries. Amy has very sound suggestions regarding technique. 

• Kaylie

November 25, 2012 at 10:14 am

Amy, you are ridiculously amazing with placement! I took a workshop with you and you helped me nail proper placement! Everybody else, take a workshop with Amy if you can!! She will save your ribs and your life!!!!

• glitterhips

November 26, 2012 at 11:07 am

I am so glad you posted this because I have the same problems as you!!! The yogini is a move I just don't do because I don't have a  long enough torso and it feels like a million pounds of pressure are being compacted into my torso. I am not even five feet tall!!! I posted here a while ago asking if my short torso could pose an issue and to my surprise some advice that was given was for me to just re-adjust myself and keep trying because my short torso would not stop me from doing the move even though I was experiencing the most intense pain and burning sensations ever! So I overruled that advice and just don't do it, I have pressure on my ribs when trying the allegra also and I can barely wrap my torso around, my allegra looks like a flatline scorpio because I don't have enough back to wrap myself around the pole the right way and lean back for that nice pretty arch. I feel your pain!!!! I hope your ribs feel better!!!  

Page 1 of 2