StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Recording dances in a very small space?

• Recording dances in a very small space?

Posted by Runemist34 on September 1, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Hey Ladies!
    So, I keep saying I’m gonna record, and I DID try to do so today! However, I’m having a bit of a space issue.
    The largest, and really only place for my pole right now is in my bedroom… which means it shares space with my giant bed (with posts for hanging drapes, though I don’t have any on right now), two dressers, a very big bookshelf, and the massive amount of clothing that Boyfriend and I have.
    Not a whole lot of space, I have to say! Sometimes I can’t fully extend in a spin, and I usually have to be rather careful which way I’m facing when I’m doing any kind of floorwork. Some days it feels larger than other days.

But, with wanting to record, I’m not finding any good places for my camera! I have a pretty good tripod, and the camera (unfortunately) seems fairly closely zoomed in on default. I’m also not great with camera angles.
    Any tips for recording in tiny spaces? I feel like, if I get a good angle for floorwork, you’re only gonna see my feet if I’m standing… and if I get a good one for standing, you won’t see me from about mid-thigh down! Pretty frustrating!

WebJunk replied 9 years, 6 months ago 7 Members · 27 Replies
  • 27 Replies
  • Lucca Valentine

September 1, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Depending on what you are recording with, a fish eye lense is very helpful. I use my phone and got a lil cheap clip on fish eye

• Lucca Valentine

September 1, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I’m not sure if that’s an expensive fix for a real camera :/

• WebJunk

September 1, 2014 at 8:04 pm

It would help to know what kind of camera you have. As Lucca mentioned, for cell phones they sell fish eye/wide angle lenses that just clip on or attach to the case.
    For some of the regular digital cameras, check the manual or menu. Some have a digital zoom that needs to be disabled.

• Runemist34

September 1, 2014 at 10:04 pm

I have a small camcorder, which doesn’t really take lenses or anything. I’m not sure if you can disable the zoom, but I’ll look into it! Would be nice to be able to get more into shot, as long as it’s the right stuff 😉 As far as I know, I can’t get any new lenses for this thing… and if I can, it’ll be pretty expensive!
    I’d love to know if anyone has any tips for camera angles and such with smaller spaces, though, in case it’s not something I can disable.

• WebJunk

September 1, 2014 at 10:18 pm

do you know the brand and model? if you can’t read where its printed on the outside, it can be found in the menu/settings

• Runemist34

September 5, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Alright, so my video camera is a Canon Vixia HF R300. I’ve not seen any indications that the zoom can be “turned off,” and generally I have it at absolute minimum zoom I can get, anyways.
    I have a pretty good tripod that it’s compatible with, too, but as I said, when contending with the bed and all the furniture, I’m not sure where or what angle to place the camera at in order to actually see me dancing, and not just have half the shot being of my bed, or my bookshelf, or just showing my feet or just my torso.
    Any help with that would be awesome.

• WebJunk

September 5, 2014 at 5:10 pm

OK. Just read the manual for your camera.
    Make sure in the menu that you have Zoom set to “M” Manual. Automatic defaults to 32x zoom. Normal setting is Automatic.
    After checking that, would use the menu (Func -> Zoom) to make sure the zoom is all the way out.
    The zoom controls appear on the left side of the screen. Touch anywhere within the “T” area to Zoom Out.

See if that helps. Also what is the distance between camera lens and your pole?

• RobynPoleDancer

September 7, 2014 at 10:17 am

Film into a mirror. You can get twice the distance away due to reflection angles.
    cos, science!

• WebJunk

September 7, 2014 at 11:14 am

It might appear that way to the eye but actually its not true.
    The distance of an object from a mirror and the distance from image to mirror are the same.
    There is a simple science experiment you can do. Hang a ruler a foot feet in front of the mirror. Then measure the distance of the image in the mirror. They will be exactly the same.

Of course with concave and convex mirrors there is a change to the image. But presuming we are talking about flat mirrors.

• Lina Spiralyne

September 7, 2014 at 3:04 pm

The distance of object to mirror and mirror to image are the same, but the distance from the camera to the object and the camera to the image are not!

• WebJunk

September 7, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I’ll split it with you. It will be the distance to the mirror. The eye or camera is capturing light. There is no actual depth to a mirror. (Did they invent 3D mirrors yet?) Only reflecting light. The light of the object from the mirror’s surface.

• Lina Spiralyne

September 8, 2014 at 10:55 am

Are you talking about the distance from the object to the mirror?

• Veena

Administrator
    September 8, 2014 at 5:36 pm

I’m not going to get technical, but yeah, use a mirror. Play around with placement you’ll figure it out. Here’s an example of when I had no distance to work with for video. This video is super old! https://www.studioveena.com/videos/view/c610b412-c3b3-11df-bc90-001b21721e0c

• Runemist34

September 8, 2014 at 5:43 pm

As much as I love the idea of using a mirror, my only mirror is wall-mounted, and the room is really not conducive to using it to showcase my pole. Directly next to the pole is the closet, and the only proper place for the mirror is directly next to that. I’d love to angle the mirror, or move it to accomodate (especially since I’d love to be able to see myself dance in it!) but I haven’t yet figured out how to do that.
    At some point, I may rearrange my room, and have that in mind. I’m hoping to get rid of my own dresser and add in my desk, allowing me to have some place for work, and maybe I’ll move some other things around so I can do that.
    The maximum amount of space I can have between my pole and the video camera is approx. 9 feet, but there’s a bed literally between the two spaces. Otherwise, I’d say max space around 3-4 feet from camera to pole.

• RobynPoleDancer

September 8, 2014 at 6:42 pm

The light bouncing off the object being captured by the camera travels twice the distance than when placing the camera in the same spot as the mirror. So yes, you can get twice the distance away, making the object appear smaller in the viewfinder, and thus being able to fit more of the object into the frame of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXypyrutq_M

Robyn Rooke BEng

Page 1 of 2