StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Pole dancing with lower back problems

• Pole dancing with lower back problems

Posted by daphLaz on August 29, 2014 at 5:37 am

Hello! I am Daphne, 16 years old. I’ve had my pole for two years now. I was poling the first year (got to an intermediate level) and then developed some bulging discs on my lower back ( the cause wasn’t only pole). I stopped poling for the second year and now, I am back on the pole for the third year. I am starting off as a complete begginer as I need to build a lot of upper body and core muscle in order to support my back. I was just wondering is anyone in here going through the same problems? or similar body disfunctions that holds them off the pole?

portableninja replied 9 years, 7 months ago 9 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Phoenix Hunter

August 29, 2014 at 11:50 am

Hi Daphne, I had several ruptured discs in my neck and even had to have surgery for it. I had to really build strength because I lost a lot of grip strength due to nerve and spinal cord damage, but I am stronger now than I have ever been. I also have a bulging disc in my lower back but I am fortunate that it is not pinching any nerves and causes very few problem. sometimes when I first started my lower back would become inflamed and I would need to take a few days off here and there. again, I built up a lot of strength and feel like my back has improved. the key for me was to safely build strength. I did this by being very careful with form and proper body mechanics and really communicating with my doctor about the demands I put on my body. I feel like having my spinal issues just made me a little slower at getting things in the beginning because I was so weak. I also had a lot of fear from having neck surgery. I was just very persistent and consistent with my practice. taking breaks when I need to. some things may not be ok for your body and you really need to talk to the doctor about that. someone with bulging disc may not want to do backbends and other back bendy tricks. take it slow. don’t do things that hurt you

• CrazyKosters

August 29, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I also have back problems and had bulging disks etc..I think pole has helped me sooo much but be careful and make sure you talk to your physician and go slow. You only have one back and it can cause so many other problems if it isn’t in good condition.

• happystace

August 29, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I think the most important things you can do are to focus on proper technique, build strength slowly, listen to your body and know when to stop. I’ve had a bulging disc with nerve root irritation since I was 15 year old, also, not related to sport but likely just due to the curvature of my spine. Core strength is very important to back health and pole requires a great deal of that! I find that poling helps me to have less back pain, and doesn’t require me to put myself in postures which would put myself at increased risk of low back injury. As Veena likes to say, not every move is right for every body. Will I ever be doing rainbow marchenkos? Probably not, but you know what? I don’t have to be to enjoy pole dancing!

• JoleneBell

August 29, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Oh boy, you’re speaking my language! Yes, I have had back problems and it’s hard. I just take it easy when I have flare ups and be sure to see my chiropractor when things don’t feel right. But building core strength -gradually- is key, and I’m working on that. It gets better and better with time and work.

• daphLaz

September 1, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Thanks you guys, my physician gave me some core exercises several months ago and I think my back is much better since then. I am doing my best at going slow. It’s just really sad that I’m not gonna be able to enjoy pole as much as I would like to, especially after some years with a more damaged back. I’ve cried so many times because of that, when I was in pain, thinking about the future and that I wouldn’t be able to do things I love.
    But the fact that you are polers with more severe problems really gives me hope! thanks again!! 🙂

• daphLaz

September 2, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Thank*

• blueyedgrl

September 7, 2014 at 1:22 am

I am suffering from a back strain right now and can’t pole. I have an aeropilates machine and am going to start using it to strengthen my back and core.

• blueyedgrl

September 7, 2014 at 1:23 am

Btw my back injury was not pole related.

• Paunobs

September 7, 2014 at 1:42 am

I had 2 crushed vertebra in my lower spine from motor vehicle accident in 1984, over the years I have had endless back issues, aches, pains, since starting pole 4 years ago( I was very afraid of my back) it has never been better, I hardly get back pain, if I do it’s usually a slight strained muscle from overdoing it or I’m coming down with a virus, I’m so glad I took up pole and strengthened my core, I will never be able to bend much, but I am grateful for what I can do and so happy I don’t suffer from the pain I used to, I’m afraid that when I can no longer pole my back issues will start again. Strengthen core one of the most important things we can do for ourselves to protect our back.

• tigerlillies

September 7, 2014 at 4:16 pm

I was a passenger in a really bad car accident at 17 and got what the call soft tissue dame ga from it. If it rains or cold my back and neck pain flares up. On top of that I found out last summer that the cartledge in my right knee is detoriating and need surgery to shave the inside of my knee cap. So I feel you with it being hard that something you love like pole is going to be affected by these things. But don’t give up if you love it stick with it even if you can only practice once a week do it. I may not ever do the super flexy moves or get good enough to seriously compete if I wanted to but it brings me joy so going to give it my all. I too just started back up and have to take it slow and really build my strength back up but hang in there you can do it and you have all of us here on veena behind you.

• portableninja

September 11, 2014 at 8:47 am

I have back problems as well. I’ve been to doctors, chiropractors, and massage therapists and everyone has a different theory about what is wrong with my lower back. The consensus seems to be that I had some type of traumatic injury (likely an impact, probably during my earlier days as a martial artist). It presents as something not unlike what happens to people in car accidents. I’m usually OK in everyday life, but long walks or vigorous exercise can aggravate it to the point of painful spasms and limited mobility.

Working on advanced pole tricks, especially shoulder mounts, aerial inverts, and legs-off tricks like ayesha, was majorly bothering my back. I would experience spasms and limited mobility whenever I had an attack, and having an attack while inverted on the pole was very scary. That’s why I’m not poling at the moment.

It’s super important to work within your limits and don’t compare yourself to others who are working without injuries. That was a big problem for me – I’d want to keep up with everyone else in classes or workshops, and push myself too hard as a result. I really beat myself up over it emotionally.

To get better, I took time off from pole, and I also got more seriously into yoga to build up my core, glutes, back, and hips. It’s very important to realize that “core strength” is not the same thing as “abdominal strength” or “back strength.” Veena’s lessons do go into the differences. In a nutshell, your core is all about stability, whereas your external muscles are about movement. True core exercises are felt very deep and usually don’t look like much to a bystander. Yoga helped me so much with developing my core, so I’m doing yoga teacher training this fall so I can deepen my understanding and share the benefits with others.

Good luck and train safe!