StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Outdoor DIY Pole

• Outdoor DIY Pole

Posted by BagLady on August 7, 2014 at 7:00 pm

I know a discussion has already happened about this, but I’m just looking for the most straight forward, cut & dry instructions possible.

Pretty much I’d like to go to Lowes/home depot, get a pole, dig a hole, put cement in the hole, stick the pole in and vwaa laaa…I have an outdoor static pole.

Anyone done this? Is it possible for it to be this simple?

zuzulya replied 9 years, 6 months ago 9 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • TropicalVertical

August 7, 2014 at 8:11 pm

I have no idea but I’d get a bucket and put cement in that, and have the pole in the bucket then bury the bucket. What about the walking about area round the pole? Paving slabs?

• WebJunk

August 7, 2014 at 9:06 pm

If you read my post in the other discussion, that is the Safest way to do it. Home depot sells 5 gallon buckets BTW. If you don’t want to add the horizontal pieces of pipe, then first bury the bucket in cement so it has a couple of inches below and at minimal 8 inches deep over the bucket and 6 inches wide around. Its much easier with the bucket. The reason why you need the first step is so the pole will resist lateral (horizontal loads) on the pole. Otherwise you can pull the pole over. Home depot or Lowes can also cut any pipe if needed.
    The way I posted before is actually similar to how a lot of tetherball poles are set but w/o a bucket. You need a few bags of cement, bucket and pole plus shovel to dig the hole. Usually takes me an hour. I mix the cement in the hole.

• WebJunk

August 8, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Just a little addendum. I look at it from a safety standpoint. Really don’t want anyone to get hurt.
    I know a lot of you want an easy solution. You know how important it is when mounting a pole indoors to be completely under a ceiling joist and the pole to be totally straight. Many failures because the pole was not mounted correctly. Too many injuries. There is no ceiling outdoors so all support is in the ground. The pole is acting like a long lever. If you learned in eight grade science the Greek mathematician Archimedes said “Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world.” (Sorry for my being a science geek!) The longer the pole, the larger the lever. The higher on the pole & more body weight performing spins on the pole is pulling on that lever with more force. The dirt in the ground can loosen especially after rain or in some areas we have sinkholes that shift the ground. Without proper mounting in the ground you can pull the pole over. It might be instantaneous or it might be over time. Regardless, it can be simply that you will need to remove & remount the pole. Or as dangerous as injuring yourself where you must stop pole dancing.
    What I posted in the above post is the minimum. The longer the pole or heavier you are will require a little better installation. I still go back to my post in the older discussion for most installs as the safest. When I have installed a pole outside I use at least 4-5 bags of cement. Each bag should be around $5 or less. So for five bags we are only talking about $25 in cement for safety. Cheap insurance IMO. If you want to follow my earlier safer instructions but don’t want to deal with cutting pipe, then you can use rebar (available at Home Depot or Lowes) in the same way. Its going to add significant horizontal support.
    Just don’t want anyone getting hurt. HAPPY POLING!

• GlitterSteph

August 8, 2014 at 12:54 pm

This is so cool! I want to make an outdoor pole one day!

• TropicalVertical

August 8, 2014 at 1:06 pm

WebJunk you are science-tastic! Applause!
    🙂

• WebJunk

August 8, 2014 at 1:21 pm

There is a lot of science in Pole Dancing. So when you can combine multiple interests its just that much more fun.
    Whether the science of mounting or designing a pole which if it was that easy why are there so few good pole companies. The fitness side of pole: muscles, joint movements, flexibility, diet. The technical side of pole moves & transitions has a lot of physics involved. Even if you are not conscious of the science you are processing it.
    We have to combine that with the artistic side of it too and make it all work together.
    Pole Dancers do it all.

• Poleluver

August 9, 2014 at 12:08 am

So excited , finally tomorrow I’m getting a pipe supplied by my Bro in law cemented in my back yard that will leave 12 feet ish above ground with about 5 ft in ground. So excited. Haven’t always trusted my indoor tension mounted poles and my ceilings are too short to do much climbing.

• Poleluver

August 9, 2014 at 7:54 pm
  • Poleluver

August 9, 2014 at 7:56 pm

It is cemented in very deep, will be cut to 12 ft above ground probably with some finish on it.

• WebJunk

August 9, 2014 at 9:06 pm

That looks like a professional installation. Much better than I have done. I aim for functionality. That translates to: I do not know how to finish it that well! Make sure its fully cured before using. How long did it take?
    Sure that is going to be fun to use. Who here is next to put one up?

• Poleluver

August 9, 2014 at 9:41 pm

My brother in law has worked with concrete for years, he had the knowledge and tools so he just went to town . Still gave to finish it. Been wanting one for height for years!

• Poleluver

August 9, 2014 at 9:45 pm

This was a little over 4 ft deep and the hole is mostly wider just under the top finished part. We used a trailer with already mixed stuff down the street… Was not much more expensive. We were done by 1300. With the hole mostly already dug

• WebJunk

August 9, 2014 at 9:55 pm

What’s 1300?

• Poleluver

August 9, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Sorry 1 pm

• WebJunk

August 9, 2014 at 10:21 pm

What time did you start?
    Premixed cement is better & stronger than mixing by hand. Plus less work. I mix in the hole because I am lazy and its strong enough if mixed thoroughly.
    Have to see if this starts a trend.

Page 1 of 2