StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Night sweats during menstruation

• Night sweats during menstruation

Posted by Dancing Paws on March 11, 2013 at 1:45 pm

So, I'm totally not in the menopausal range yet. I'm 27 now. Within the last year I've been getting HORRIBLE night sweats during my periods. Waking up DRENCHED. It's so icky! I asked my doc about it and they couldn't say anything.

Do any other young ladies experience this?

luvlee replied 10 years, 7 months ago 16 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • poletrickster

March 11, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Yes, I have them also, but not just during the night its all day with multiple shirt changes because the sweat is around my stomach and back only. It is odd and I haven't found any solution except to freeze myself during those days to keep dry as much as possible. Where do you sweat, is it your midsection also?

• Dancing Paws

March 11, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I sweat everywhere! I tyouched my inner thighs and they were WET! Panties, shirt, and sheets soaked. Uh! It's not during the day for me. It's so weird.

• IchigoMewMew

March 11, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I dont sweat so much but I am sooo hot during that week. I’m usually freezing, especially this time of year!

• jeansgina

March 12, 2013 at 3:00 am

I get really bad night sweats too and dont know if it is to do with my period or not cos I get mine at random times of the month. It’s awful, even my knees are soaking. Glad its not just me, my fiance says I’m too hot to cuddle at night too.

• Prilladonna

March 12, 2013 at 4:52 am

I've had this problem to, in two periods at least what I can think about. The first period was in my teens, and I think it was due to hormonal changes. I trained a lot and ate poorly and droped approx 22 pounds in 2 months https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif so my menstrual cycle completely collapsed. I think maby that I lost to much for such a short period of time that the toxins stored in the fat cells became to much for the body to handle, and it tried to get rid of it through sweating during the night, but that's just one of my theories https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif My second "sweating period" was during a time of intense stress in my life, and I had all of these nightmares and woke up in the middle of the night feeling as if someone had poured a bucket of water on me https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif

Hope maby that helps in some way and that you get your problems solved!

• Glamourgirrl

March 12, 2013 at 7:12 am

• shimamd

March 12, 2013 at 9:21 am

I had this a few  years back when I was 35, thought I was going into menopause, and my GYN said it was due to being underweight for my body type.  I had lost a few pounds, not much, just about 3 or 4 lbs, and apparently that was enough to make a difference.  I gained a few pounds back, adn the night sweats went away.  A year later, I dropped a few pounds again, and the sweats came back. Gained a few pounds back, the night sweats went away.  He said that everyone's body has a set amount of fat it needs to make the estrogen it needs to function properly, and if you go below that, you'll get basal symptoms, like night sweats, and other things.  I fought him on this because I'm by no means skinny. I'm 5'2", normally about 110-112 lbs, very hour-glassy, with chunky thighs and knees (in my teen years my little brother used to call me Bettie Boop!),  and I dropped to only 107 lbs. when I had symptoms (and my legs were still chunky!).

Anyway, fast forward to today, at age 40, and I broke my foot at dance class a few months ago, just getting up on my  toe to turn. Was told that I am early stages osteoporosis, and now have to be super careful not to fall for the rest of my life!  I have received numerous lectures about staying in a healthy weight range because estrogen is protective, etc.  So, long story short, all you younger women out there,  take care of yourself, don't compare youself to others, and stay healthy! Embrace your curves!!! 

I hope this doesn't sound too lecture-y, but I've been stuck elevating my foot for two-plus months, and it sucks. I've been lecturing my own daughters on keeping healthy and listening to their bodies so they won't end up with a broken toe that won't heal when they're older like me!  If you're in your 20s and having night sweats, please listen to your body!!

• Dancing Paws

March 12, 2013 at 10:21 am

I've actually put on a little weight recently! Not sure if that would factor in or not.

btw, sorry about your toe!

• shimamd

March 12, 2013 at 11:38 am

thanks!  My biggest concern about the toe right now is that I can't wear a shoe!

And, back to you, it could be due to a weight gain, too, I'd imagine, since your body might be trying to readjust hormones.  A little more motherly advice, though.  If you only talked to your primary care dr about it, might be worth a call to your GYN.  In my case, my primary care guy just shrugged it off, but when I mentioned it to my GYN, she sent me for tests to rule out things like thyroid disorder, etc.   MIght be worth the phone call just to see what they say.

• Prilladonna

March 12, 2013 at 2:35 pm

@shimamd: thanx for ur story! Now I kind of understand things better! But thats a strange thing though, means my ideal fat percentage would be pretty high https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_surprised.gif but maby the horomones gets kind of messed up when you drop to much to fast. Hope for the best for your toe!

• Kaylie

March 12, 2013 at 6:06 pm

For me red wine= night sweats.. Just sayin

• cluther

August 7, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I get terrible night sweats during my period! For me, it is always on my legs. I end up soaking the sheets. This only happens during my period. I have no idea why this happens and how to stop it.

• RebeccaR

August 8, 2013 at 10:33 pm

It’s all hormone related. I get cold flashes during certain times of the month as well.

• yrngrl

August 9, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Shimamd, that's interesting. I have terrible night sweats too (usually around my period, occasionally at other times). They started after I lost weight. I am also 5'2 and around 110 lbs.. I don't think I'm too thin but I do have a fair amount of loose skin from the weight loss (nearly 100 lbs lost) so I might have less body fat that it appears from the scale. Hmmm…

• yrngrl

August 9, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I'm 39, so I kinda assumed it had to do with my age. Who knows though.

Page 1 of 2