StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions New Cirque show

• New Cirque show

Posted by MD5677 on September 2, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I just came from seeing the new cirque du soleil show Amaluna. It featured two pole acts. One on swinging poles and the other on a tall static pole. The last was a male performer who did most long drops. Personally I liked Felix canes act a lot better in the Michael Jackson show but the audience seemed to enjoy it. I was thinking how sad it is that parents bring kids to these shows with no problem but the lady on the pole in ocean city was considered distasteful.

marithim replied 9 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • lisakm

September 3, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Agree on your point about respectability. I haven’t seen the Felix Canes act, but I did see Amaluna a couple of months ago, and absolutely loved the pole acts! As well as the rest of the show.

• marithim

September 9, 2014 at 2:15 am

What swinging pole act? I saw it in December and was horribly disappointed. The static pole act was cool, but they cut the tightrope act, the irregular bars(parallel bars?) was pretty uninspired, the hooper didn’t have a costume really and the whole Lyra act was cut. Also the male act messed up a few landings and the juggling act with the girls being spun by the feet also messed up twice. I’m now racking my brain for a swinging pole act and I can’t remember one…. For all I know it was cut from my performance as well…

• MD5677

September 9, 2014 at 7:55 am

I agree it was not one of their best shows. The performers in my show also had mistakes that were uncharacteristic of du soliel. The swinging act was in the beginning with people dressed similar to monkeys and the poles designed like tree branches. By the way, the next night I went to a performance called cirque Italia. A small production with a troup that looked like it consisted mostly of one family of about seven folks. It also featured a pole act that was far better than soliel. In fact the entire show was far more entertaining. I would recommend.

• marithim

September 9, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I think the real issue was so much was cut from the show that I saw, it wasn’t what the reviewers saw at all. And the music is good, but highly repetitive. In fact there are two songs that are basically the same song with different instrumentation. Same beat, same lyrics, one is a touch faster with bells. My boyfriend and I love Cirque. We always watch the traveling shows if we can. We had seen Totem two years before and it was amazing, even from the back, so as a christmas gift he bought us tickets in the front ring (not ringside but only 3-4 rows back). And we got Amaluna… with no Luna. With very few jawdropping moments. With costumes that were gorgeous but nothing was done with the people. We felt cheated. It was advertised as a show with mostly women acts, and I’ve seen better all women acts in other shows. It’s like they just used the Cirque name and costumes and assumed that makes it a great Cirque show. It was a good show, but for the money we spent, we expected Cirque du Soleil. And this did not compare favorably to any of the shows I have seen in the past from much less expensive seats.