Ladies with a Curved Spine (Hip Joint Popping)

MommaBear
I remember a few ladies mentioning that they had this issue and that poleing had helped.

I don't know if this issue would apply for you as well, but my curved spine causes a trickle down effect in other areas as well. Specifically, my hip joint? (where your leg connects to your butt ).

I have issues with that "joint" pulling away and popping out of place with certain movements (V being one of them). This is an issue I faced before poleing, especially when trying to get certain positions in the bedroom

Wondering if poleing has alleviated any of those types of issues for you or if you are constricted when it comes to certain movements?

On the plus side, my curvy spine and goofy hips seem to give me the ability to get a really flattering, deep and interesting "dip" movement when doing floor work, but only on the left side.
May 4, 2010 from Ohio, United States
Sapphirecatzeye
Hi,
If anyone knows anything else about this please post, my sister has been trying to do some splits training lately, and she has been noticing more that she has this same problem.
She also said she had the same thing about the bedroom issue.
I've been trying to help her with her middle splits and she was wondering if something is wrong and if its safe to keep trying to split, i thought maybe it would be a advantage ,but i dont know anything about this.
May 6, 2010 from Humble, Texas, United States
FreeTheSun
do you mean it feels like your hip joint locks up and then if you keep pushing (and lots of deep breathing) it will sort of "pop out" and then back in (basically adjusting how it sits in your hip sockets)? and the whole popping process is anywhere from somewhat painful to "you'd rather have your teeth ripped out w/o anesthesia"?

If yes, then yes I've been dealing with that since I was in 5th grade (prob longer but that is when I started synchro and was pushing for the splits). It normally happens to me when I lay on my back and pull one leg towards my head either with a towel or hands. Sometimes it will "lock up" when I am standing and have my legs together (or crossed) and reach to the floor. Then it doesn't hurt it just feels uncomfortable and if I stand up and wiggle the hips and legs a bit I normally can get it "unstuck" and it will be fine. I've never considered that it could be due to my messed up spine...makes sense though. I just thought I had crap joints since my knees and elbows have been locking up since I was around 6 or so. My middle splits majorly suck too, even when I work on them. Foreword splits are pretty decent considering how little I work on them but middle has always sucked.

So if any of what I described is like what is happening with you then I can't say poling has helped or hurt it. I can control it better because the smaller muscles around my hips are stronger but it still happens (especially if I don't stretch after a practice, the next time my hips hate me). No one has ever been able to figure out what is actually occurring and since most people (read doctors) don't realize how important it is to me to increase my flexibility they kinda blow it off with the whole "if it hurts when you do something, don't do it." One massage therapist was guessing that perhaps one of my muscles was super knotted so it was like a barrier it had to adjust for but I donít know if that is true or not. If you figure out what it is, do let me know. Iíve never met another person that has the same hip issue as me so that limits the research pool.
May 6, 2010 from Virginia
MommaBear
Ouch!!! FreeTheSun, that sounds horribly painful!

No, mine isn't that bad - hard to explain though - just very uncomfortable and almost cramp-like in that it feels as if it is seizing up. I guess I use the term popping because it seems that if I continued to push any further, that a pop would occur and when I do stop whatever action led the hip being uncomfortable - it almost feels as if it pops (very mildly) back into place? It is odd.

I don't quite know for sure that it is related to the curved spine - I just kinda guessed they might be linked.
May 7, 2010 from Ohio, United States
FreeTheSun
It's not too terrible (although maybe this is why I tend to have a high pain tolerance...hmm ).

What your describing (uncomfortable cramp like) sounds like the 1st half of what happens to mine cause if I stop pushing it I can feel my hip joint slide back into it's normal place. I woulda stopped at that point a long time ago but my coaches told me to push through it (maybe not the best advice but I was in Egypt and thats how they coach, push till you can't go anymore. Then push some more) and that's when the big pop happens. Once the intial big/painful pop happens I can go way deeper into the stretch. But I don't recommend pushing yourself to see if that's what happens to your hip. I don't know if it is bad for you but it's not super fun.

I'm hoping some of our ladies well versed in anatomy will chime in here cause they'd prob know best.
May 7, 2010 from Virginia
StudioVeena
I would see a physical therapist....you may just need to strengthen one area and or, stretch another to keep things in working order. I have always funky hips and I have found that as long as I'm sure to stretch in all angles, I have no troubles. Remember hips have far more motion than just flexion and extension.
May 7, 2010 from Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Fleur
I agree with Veena, it would be a good idea to see a physical therapist who can tell you what exercises you can do to strengthen the joint and make sure you aren't doing anything bad to it. It also sounds like you may have some scoliosis?

Fleur
May 7, 2010 from CA, United States
Serzi
Hi there! I don't know how helpful my info may be, but I have a 30 degree curve in my spine (scoliosis) that often causes problems with the muscles underneath my right shoulder blade due to inflammation. My shoulder blade used to kinda "pop" occasionally when I would rotate my arm at an odd angle, but that was long before I started poling. I have been through physical therapy and the exercises that I learned I have been able to incorporate into my pole routine with great results!

My physical differences from straight-spine polers has its share of disadvantages, but also benefits. For example, I have a lot of difficulty with the advanced plank if I use my right hand to grip beneath me because my shoulder always wants to roll forward instead of back and down. It doesn't cause any pain, but I can't get the move to look good if I use my dominant hand and (to add to the frustration) my bra strap always slips down. LOL

With learning new moves I take it rather slow until I understand what position my body may either ease into or fight against altogether. I try very hard to make sure that when I execute a move that I am doing it in a way that works with my unique spine. Inverts where I am facing away from the pole (Gemini, Scorpio) are very comfortable for me and came with much less struggle than ones where I am facing the pole (Inverted Crucifix, Butterfly). Pretty much any move where I can lean back and hold with my legs is more comfortable than when the grip relies mostly on my arms and hands. However, strangely enough, handstands are easier for me (both dropping down into or going up from the floor) facing the pole rather than when I have my back to it. There is also the recent bizarre realization that I can do a teddy bear with minimal effort, which is a move that I had been dreading to attempt because it seemed like it would be impossible.

Just a guess, but your strengths and difficulties may be the exact opposite of mine since (I'm assuming) your spine curves at your lower back. You may have an advantage at upper body and core strength, with the possibility of some very interesting and sexy flexibility. What you mentioned about your hip on your left side sounds a lot like this thing I can do with my right shoulder, haha! =D

Anyways, I hope at least some of this was helpful. My only real advice is to look into physical therapy (they will show you the way!), keep up to date on the status of your condition (i.e. has your spine fused into position or is it still curving?), and ABOVE ALL ELSE don't let your back rob you of your glory. You may have to adopt a different approach than most people, it may take you longer to nail a new move or to learn how to properly execute one that you got right away, but believe me when I say that you can do it! If you are very aware of your body and what you are doing with it while up on the pole it will serve as a great advantage to guide you into new moves and guard you against injuries. If you are strong, flexible, and a good dancer besides...well, heck, you got it made!

? ~*Serzi
May 8, 2010

Simora
Veena, you've saved me money and quite a bit of agonizing of how to jump start my poling!! I've been in a pole rut for a couple years and now I'm back in the game!! I can't wait to start these! How I've missed it! Thank you SO much!
more testimonials