StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions How do you polish your moves?

• How do you polish your moves?

Posted by Danniacc47 on September 2, 2014 at 8:29 am

Hi guys, I know this question is kind of dumb but how do you polish your moves and combos? I’m asking because I’ve already got several moves and transitions but they are all sloppy. I thought that they were not that bad but I watched I video of myself yesterday and I look all over the place. I mean, once I get to the pose it looks beautiful but getting there is the problem. And it is a problem not because I’m not strong enough. There are some full-length mirrors in my studio but when I’m actually doing the spin or turning upside down I can’t see if I’m doing it beautifully or just doing it. There are many more girls in class so my instructor can’t always spot me, but then I go through life thinking my moves are perfect when they are not. So again, guys how do you do it?

I polekat I replied 9 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Krista Bocko

September 2, 2014 at 8:36 am

Video. I never think mirrors provide good feedback unless, like you said, you’re in the pose. There is no way you can watch yourself getting into the pose though or moving through a combo. I don’t know what I would do without video feedback.

• MissMoloka

September 2, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Definitely video tape yourself and watch your favorite dancers. I like to Notice their lines and extensions, how they point their toes, extend their arms to their wrist and fingers, move with control, intention and expression even throughout the tricks. I think its fun to Play with how slowly or quickly you do a move or exaggerate it. Make it even bigger, even smaller, even straighter, even bendier, even sexier. I guess polishing is a time to play, ingrain the move even more in muscle memory and the best part – Add your own personality and flare 🙂 yay

• I polekat I

September 3, 2014 at 3:50 am

i think repetition here is the key too, if you do something over and over the muscle memory kicks in and your body does it without needing too much conscious thought, then it all seems much smoother and ‘flowier’. And yes video DEFINITELY. I film as much as possible of my practices and there is no better feedback for improvement, you can see all your gnarly flexed feet and mistakes – its always the small details that make a difference..! But it’s also nice feedback to see the things you do well =)

• Danniacc47

September 3, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Thank you guys. I usually don’t record my practices but I think I’m going to do that more often. I normally don’t do it because I’m lazy and recording is a hassle, also because when I’m learning a new trick I can’t control very well in which direction I end up facing. I guess I will need to record that too in order to improve my positioning. How often do you actually record yourselves?

• I polekat I

September 4, 2014 at 9:44 am

Every opportunity I can! =) i film my solo practices at home and studio hire pole jams with my friends – the only time i don’t film is if i am at a proper class so its too busy or if i am poling with a friend at home. i got one of those mini octopus bendy-leg tripods very cheaply on ebay for my phone (note you usually have to get the tripod legs and the phone grip part separately, but combined they were still less than £5 GBP) its amazing and great for awkward positioning! I just leave the camera running all the time and forget about it. (But the only problem with filming your whole session is then you have filmed lots of rubbish and chatting and pole-wiping and lying on the floor =P ) Just need to figure out this editing malarkey and i can start getting some vids up on here!!